Green Light Triggers

morrobaybum

Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone heard anything or used one of these? I did a little research on these green light triggers and they seem to be legit to me but even still it sounds a little fishy. I also found something called a MIRT, it apparently uses the technology in a firetruck to change the lights to green. If it really works it would be awesome to have but sounds also somewhat illegal. Just wanted to get everyone thoughts on these.

W

wrightme43

If you have a old hard drive you can just take the magnets out of it. It helped on the little ninja, but now I just treat broken (I.E. doesnt recognise a registered motor vehicle) stop lights as broken stop lights. They become stop signs.

Also Trigger GREEN Traffic Lights - The World's Biggest Show & Tell - ride, tech, diy

Or there is a way to use a universal remote control to shoot the thing that turns the lights for ambulance and fire trucks. I had it saved but it was removed. I think it is illegal and can get you big time fined.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
some bikes do not have enough metal to trip the magnetic sensor

Correct. The sensor at the lights is just a large metal detector. Its sensitivity can be adjusted by the DOT, so if there's one in your neighborhood that always fails to notice you, try writing a polite letter to DOT.

Rather than using a green light trigger, which I believe is just a magnet, if you are stuck at a light that won't see you, try a couple of things.

1. Make sure you're sitting right on top of the wire, preferabley at a corner or intersection.

2. Thump your centerstand against the ground. You're moving metal right up against the sensor's wire, which may trigger it.

3. Shut off and restart your bike. Your starter throws off a very strong electromangetic field when it's in use. This field will trigger the sensor.

I almost always use technique 1, occasionally try technique 2, and have had great success with technique 3.

There's also technique 4. If the light's not triggering for you, it can be considered to be malfunctioning, at which point you legally treat it as a four way stop and go when you can safely do so.

Fred

Roboco

Reaction score
Visit site
Use option 4 with caution as it is illegal in some states no matter how long you've been waiting. Guess it would depend on the officer that stops you.

W

wrightme43

Its fine here in KY.

What are you supposed to do if a light doesnt work? If lightning hits the pole and it stops working its a stop sign. If a car hits the pole and it stops working its a stop sign. If it doesnt work for a registered motor vehicle its a stop sign. You may get a ticket but it can't hold up in court since it is a defective traffic control signal.

B

Bo67

Legal in Idaho. A buddy of mine has one of the triggers on his 250 Rebel and he says it works pretty good. Never heard of the starter trick but it makes sense to me.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Every time they rebuild an intersection here in Utard, the lights suddenly recognize my bike, so hope's on its way; they've apparently redesigned the sensors they use. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wrightme43

Its that way here too. They work for a little while then they just stop seeing bikes.

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I work for a local road department and can go into detail about how the signal sensors work, but to save space I won't. They can be recalibrated, its just a matter of getting somebody to go out and do it. As for the remote signal triggers, they might work or they might not, these have been around for a while and have had limited success.

I have talked to several cops about the signal issue and they all said to go when safe.

Last edited: