Twice in a week! Ouch!

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I am begging the spelling/grammar police to give me a free pass on this one as I am typing with one hand.

I had a bad day on Thursday that only got worse.......got up late, bike problems (TPS I think), cell phone died and then..........

I went for a ride with JJP XX and another friend of ours named John. JJP let me borrow his '04 VFR because my bike wasn't running well. I have ridden the VFR a couple of times before and its a totally different animal from my FZ but I like it. :) We had dinner at a roadside stand and then decided to continue the ride with John leading, me following, then JJP. All was good until John fairly abruptly tapped his brakes and disappeared around a corner. Its a very diificult turn to describe but i will give it my best shot. It was a right turn but the road turned back on itself making it a greater than 90 degree turn, it flared out in the other direction to connect with the road I was travelling down, it was an upsloping hill with at least a 25% grade AND it was tilted to the left. Of course I couldn't see any of this until I had slowed down and was into the turn and then I realized that I needed to downshift into first (could probably have done it in 2d or 3rd with FZ). I downshifted, let out the clutch, gave it gas and heard the engine rev....it took a second or two to realize that i was in neutral and at that point I lost all my forward momentum and was actually in danger of rolling backward and I hit the brakes, this is when i started to get that sinking feeling.......i knew it was going to be an awesome victory to find that sweet spot where the clutch/throttle meet to get it going again and i was afraid of launching the bike. Victory was not mine to be had........the next thing i knew i was in a losing battle with a 460 pound bike that wanted to fall to the left. I cleared the bike and put my arm out to break my fall, came down on my left arm/elbow and hip (again!). The VFR didn't fair too bad, frame slider did its job; bent the clutch lever and a few scratches. I did go to the ER and fortunately nothing apprears broken but i have a "deep muscle and soft tissue contusion" and the swelling is pinching the nerve - ouch! I am in a splint and sling and hydrocodone is my new best friend :thumbup: I have an appt for a followup with an orthopedic dr on monday.

Lesson learned:

1. It hurts more to crash someone elses bike
2. If you ever have the slightest doubt about a turn - keep going sraight and find an alternate route or in this case turn around and take it from another angle.
3. I will say it again for everyone - ATGATT because my jacket had armor I DIDN'T shatter my elbow. My gloves, riding pants and boots all saved me from further injury as well.

Honestly, going down on the track hurt a lot less! :(

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Damn Cheryl! Sorry to hear about this off! I'm glad you'll be Ok but it sounds like it's going to be a slow recovery.

Heal fast and we hope to see you on the Aug tour!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
OUCH! I'm so sorry to hear you fell. That thing is close to 550 lbs not 460, VFR are nice but porky.

I hope the trip to the Dr. goes well and you heal up quickly.

S

sm00thpapa

Sorry to hear you went down again. Hope you feel better real soon. This wasn't your first or your last fall so always be prepared. Good luck....

JJP XX

Reaction score
Visit site
She eyeballed my ZX after dumping the VFR and said... "I haven't ridden this bike at all in the last week." ;)

I was right behind her as this all happened. I had blocked the road with my ZX to prevent people from hitting her.

Flat road, small water type ditch and sharp 120 degree right-hand uphill turn. Rear tire on road and front tire on uphill, 5'3" rider and 460 plus pound bike that is already leaning. Cheryl gave it a 2 second struggle (a long 2 seconds!) and eventually had to let go as she had no leverage. As she went over, the horrible sound of the bike falling over filled the air. She gets up and walks off the road as I go over to the turn the VFR off.

I attempt to lift the bike... picture this... put your right hand out with your thumb up and pinky down. Turn 90 degrees to the left to mimic the bike laying on level ground. Turn hand another 25 degrees to the left and that was how the bike was facing. There was no way I was picking the VFR up by myself.

Jon (no "H") came over and we got the bike upright. Now, I almost drop it myself and it's my bike! I get it off the road and we go up the hill a little to clear the bottom of the intersection. We notice that Cheryl is grimacing big time. With her being ok and with her permission, we take off her helmet and proceed with the jacket. She screams in pain. Hmmm... she then walks over to the VFR and squeezes the clutch lever and states she can't ride it.

Jon drops his bike off at a local park, I pick him up on the ZX, go back to where Cheryl is and we go to Jon's house as he rides the VFR and Cheryl is now on my ZX. We arrive at Jon's and with Cheryl's arm hurting, Jon took off Cheryl's helmet and I proceed to take off her riding pants. :rolleyes: I can only imagine what the locals were thinking as 2 guys were undressing a woman in public! Jon drives Cheryl in his car to the ER.

I go home to get the car and meet Cheryl at the ER... her room number? "H2B"! Not kidding! 4 hour wait (for me) and the doctor, really nice guy, checks out Cheryl and offers to take her temperature...oops... ;) off topic! :eek: Kidding! Doc goes over her arm and X-rays, puts a splint on her, wraps it up, and we leave the hospital at 0230 Friday. Home by 0300 and she passes out in my spare room.

Today, (Sat.) I got a ride to pick up my VFR and brought it home. Installed and adjusted new clutch lever and bike appears ok other than a few light scratches. No big deal as bikes can be replaced but Cheryl can't.

While Cheryl still beats herself up about the VFR, I tell her not to worry about it. She is one tough chick... kinda cute too! :thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank God she has friend's like you guys! Well done John and Jon!

I hope she starts feeling better sooner than later!

JJP XX

Reaction score
Visit site
Pics of Cheryl on the VFR from last month.

When she rode on it Thursday, it did not have the topbox or side racks mounted.

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Cheryl, so glad that you didn't fracture your elbow. Here's to a speedy and pain free recovery. :cheer:

n1one

RIP Tom Eden
Reaction score
Visit site
No big deal as bikes can be replaced but Cheryl can't.

Well stated...bikes can be replaced, people cannot!:Flash:

Cheryl,

From the description of the turn you were attempting to make; It sounds like many of us could have had the same result...especially since you where on a bike that you don't ride as often as your own FZ.

Glad you are mostly OK and hope you heal up soon. As others have said, you are lucky to have goods friends to help you when you need it and that are clearly more concerned about you than the bike.

Oh...let us know what's up with your bike? Has the TPS update been done to your bike yet? If not, it could be a good time, since you probably need some time off from riding?

Good luck!:thumbup:

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks everyone. I have more movement today but it still hurts and can't put any pressure on arm (like squeezing a clutch! Yes, I tried). I'm hoping to be back up on two wheels by next weekend (don't burst my bubble) - I will see what the doc has to say about that tomorrow. Currently this beautiful weather is killing me!

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you are okish.. good luck at the ortho's. You have some good friends there, hope you are back up on two wheels soon.

Take your time in your recovery though ;)

Deb

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
Semi good news! The doc (fresh out of diapers and in dire need of listening skills) concurs that there is no fracture. He told me I can take the splint off, get an elbow support bandage from the drug store and use the sling for a little while longer. He said that the nerve is probably still swollen - causing the pain in my arm/wrist and tingling in my fingers. The muscles are still very sore too. So I am to start using it where the pain level permits and if it is not better in two weeks I need to be seen again to check for nerve damage - I'm counting on having to cancel that appointment. But............two weeks?????????? Sigh. Honestly I've never had an injury that hurt this much, I guess I've been fortunate. (At this point I would settle for being able to unscrew the top to the Hydrocodone bottle!). The boss is not amused either :(

FizzySix

Drunken Philosopher
Reaction score
Visit site
That's terrible! Heal up quick! :cheer:

We'll have to slow down Weds night chat since you've only one typing hand ;)