FZ6 Electrical Power

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been some questions concerning the electrical power system on the FZ6 as to how much it can deliver. What is it really? :confused: This poses an interesting question. I decided to crunch some numbers, albeit there is probably some inaccuracies, but if there is a substantial difference between the load and what the AC magneto can deliver, it should not be a concern. Based on the service manual power consumption numbers, I took the scenario of sitting at a light waiting to make a turn below 5000rpm (AC magneto not generating). For the some odd 197W load (16A) the battery, if fully charged can sustain it for approximately 36 minutes. When above 5000rpm, there should be no problem with the stock load configuration that I can see. :thumbup:

AC Magneto Output..........310. W
Total Power Avail..............310. W

Low Beam left Bulb............55. W
Low Beam Right Bulb.........55. W
Tail Light Bulb.....................5. W
Brake Light Bulb................21. W
Front Position Lights..........10. W
License Plate Light..............5. W
Turn Signal Front..............21. W
Turn Signal Rear...............21. W
Headlight Relay.................1.7 W
Fuel Injection Relay...........0.9 W
Total Power Req'd..........194.7 W
Total Power Remaining...115.3 W

Anyone have any comments?

Rich

Reaction score
Visit site
I have a question. Does the magneto not produce any output below 5000RPM? Or is it just a lower output but yet still delivering some?

And then a couple of comments.

Not everyone has two low beams, correct? I am assuming that is with the headlight mod?

Also, if I was stopped that long, I wouldn't have to hold the brake on.

You'd gain 76 watts right there between the two.

Interesting figures, though. For the guys with electric clothing, I think it is rare that you would have garments drawing in excess of 100 watts. That's a lot of heat.

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Those are good questions Rich;

Does the magneto not produce any output below 5000RPM? Or is it just a lower output but yet still delivering some?
The magneto does generate power below 5000rpm. How much though depends on the manufacture’s specifications. I couldn’t tell you the relationship between rpm and power but for interest sake let’s assume its linear or a straight line from 0 to 310W from 0 to 5000rpm. While idling at 1000rpm, it would generate approximately 1/5th of 310 which is 62W.

Not everyone has two low beams, correct? I am assuming that is with the headlight mod?
My calculations were for the dual low beam or headlight mod. Not everyone runs dual low beams so true you would be able to bank the 55W but then there are some who ride with their high beam on instead, so add 60W.

Also, if I was stopped that long, I wouldn't have to hold the brake on. You'd gain 76 watts right there between the two.
My example for total power required was a worse case scenario and leads to why you shouldn’t sit around with the bike running idle for too long a period of time.

Let’s remove all the load except the essentials which are the left low beam, tail light, front positions lights, license plate light, headlight relay, and fuel injection relay, and throw another watt in for dash light, LED’s and miscellaneous. This adds up to 79W.

Sitting idle, we would see that the difference between the magneto to the load is a 17W deficit. Hold on, we’re still running because the battery is taking up the slack, but for how long. 17W on a 12V system equates to 1.4A of current. The battery has a 10Ahr capacity so then it would be fully drained in 7 hours. Also remember, as the battery is draining, it also starts to become a load. You know, when the battery isn’t fully charged, the battery charger amperage needle seems to indicate high current, and as the battery becomes charged the needle falls back to zero. Good thing we’re doing this exercise because it looks like you could sit idle for quite some time!

Hah, hah, I’m now starting to sound like my prof back in the good ‘ol university days. Any how, the numbers I posted are there for anyone to tackle the calculations.:thumbup:

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Um, err...Fan? I know it does not run very long , but was wondering how many watts it pulls. Any idea?

There was no power consumption on the fan in the service manual to base a number on. When the bike is moving, is the fan even running with all that air flow through the rad? If it was hot enough out that even while riding the fan does come on, the rider wouldn't be plugged into some heated clothing, so power wouldn't be an issue. Have they come out with air conditioned clothing yet? :D

Fred

M em b er e d
Reaction score
www.robietech.com
Don't forget the fuel pump. That's a major power draw. Also the EFI computer with injectors and the ignition system. Coils also use a lot of juice.

I don't know the numbers for the FZ6, but they're going to be the major draws.

Fred

jamesfz6

The faster red one!
Reaction score
Visit site
I dont think the fan drains that much battery power

The fan, i dont think, draws enough power to worry about. Unless you plan on doing the worst case scenario. When it is 100 degrees outside the bike runs at a constant 180 to 190. Just the time it takes me to get into the garage after i open the door the bike will jump up to well over 210. On really hot days it isnt uncommon for it to see 228 degrees. So, to help with the cool down i turn off the bike but leave the key in the on position so the fan stays on. I also have a shop fan that i put on it to help it out.

I have left the fan on until it shuts off itself (anything less than 205 i think) and sometimes I will walk away from the bike and forget i have the key on and wont shut it off for 20 minutes or so.

I'm not good at math but im sure unless you leave it on for an hour or more it should be fine. Not sure where i was going with this, i just havent posted in a while and got type happy....:D

Maybe someone has a better way to cool off the bike than what im doing.

Cali rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I did a little bit of research on this topic last year. My findings and opinion are posted on SBN. I'll post the direct link here, but if the moderators don't want links to that site it might get deleted.

SBN post

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
There have been some questions concerning the electrical power system on the FZ6 as to how much it can deliver. What is it really? :confused: This poses an interesting question. I decided to crunch some numbers, albeit there is probably some inaccuracies, but if there is a substantial difference between the load and what the AC magneto can deliver, it should not be a concern. Based on the service manual power consumption numbers, I took the scenario of sitting at a light waiting to make a turn below 5000rpm (AC magneto not generating). For the some odd 197W load (16A) the battery, if fully charged can sustain it for approximately 36 minutes. When above 5000rpm, there should be no problem with the stock load configuration that I can see. :thumbup:

AC Magneto Output..........310. W
Total Power Avail..............310. W

Low Beam left Bulb............55. W
Low Beam Right Bulb.........55. W
Tail Light Bulb.....................5. W
Brake Light Bulb................21. W
Front Position Lights..........10. W
License Plate Light..............5. W
Turn Signal Front..............21. W
Turn Signal Rear...............21. W
Headlight Relay.................1.7 W
Fuel Injection Relay...........0.9 W
Total Power Req'd..........194.7 W
Total Power Remaining...115.3 W

Anyone have any comments?
Hi BD,
The front position lights you refer to. Are they also the running lights just a different term.

Nelly

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for all the hard work you did compileing the numbers. I have a Gerbings electric jacket liner which draws 77 watts, it's good to know that when I'm at a stop light I'm ok on power. I use an batter tender so when I get home I just plug the battery in so when I start the bike the next time I have a full charge. Again Thank You for the numbers.

Doc

bd43

Staff member
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi BD,
The front position lights you refer to. Are they also the running lights just a different term.

Nelly

If the position lights you mean are the orange front turn signal blinkers, then yes. Not the UK running lights up in the fairing.... I didn't calculate for those and they are not mentioned in the service manual.

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
So basicly, when the officer pulls you over and asks why you were speeding.... simply hand him this power output sheet and tell him you were charging the battery!

-bryan

Tailgate

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Bikerdude43! Now, all I have to do is learn how much Scopio alarm draws (supposed to be low amp). And, I suppose I'm saving a couple of watts with my LED tail/brake light. Too bad Yamaha didn't integrate a digital amperage guage or voltmeter, huh? Any idea on how many CCA our battery has?

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Bikerdude43! Now, all I have to do is learn how much Scopio alarm draws (supposed to be low amp). And, I suppose I'm saving a couple of watts with my LED tail/brake light. Too bad Yamaha didn't integrate a digital amperage guage or voltmeter, huh? Any idea on how many CCA our battery has?

Not sure what our stock battery is... however an equivalent (if not superior) battery found online is rated for 160 cca.

Scorpion AGM High Performance Powersports Battery (s)YT12B-4 | Batterystuff.com

H

HavBlue

Don't forget the fuel pump. That's a major power draw. Also the EFI computer with injectors and the ignition system. Coils also use a lot of juice.

I don't know the numbers for the FZ6, but they're going to be the major draws.

Fred

I was of the same opinion Fred....

H

HavBlue

Not sure what our stock battery is... however an equivalent (if not superior) battery found online is rated for 160 cca.

Scorpion AGM High Performance Powersports Battery (s)YT12B-4 | Batterystuff.com

Questioning the advertisement, 160CCA when or at what ambient temperature? The "standard" CCA test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of cranking at 0 degrees. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds while other companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results in terms of raw numbers.

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Questioning the advertisement, 160CCA when or at what ambient temperature? The "standard" CCA test measures the output of a battery for 30 seconds of cranking at 0 degrees. Some companies use 15 or 20 seconds while other companies use 32 degrees which can make for better results in terms of raw numbers.

I didn't make the battery nor do I endorse it... Tailgate was asking about what our battery's CCR was... I was just trying to help him out with the answer... I think the point was .... an idea of what the FZ6 battery was rated at....