Always Gear Up!!!

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
On my way to work today I noticed ahead of me a bike on the side of the road with a guy in shorts and t-shirt sitting down. I cruise over and stop, ask the guy if he's OKand needs any help. Ends up he's ok I guess he dropped the bike executing a left hand turn going onto the freeway on ramp. Dude's left arm is all road rashed as well as both his legs and both hands missing silver dollar pieces of skin(nasty), yup no gear except helmet. He tells me he's only been riding/owning his bike(yellow CBR F4) for 3 weeks and he has no idea what happened he does know that he wasn't going faster then about 20-22 mph, as a newbie I was shocked that a person could get that sorta road rash going that slow. I'm always ATGATT cuz i'm scared at Sh|t of crashing, I now it was a relatively minor incident but for a newbie seeing it made me wanna come here and tell everyone ATGATT!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Even as a newbie, you did the veteran thing besides wearing your gear.

You stopped and asked if the other rider was okay and needed assistance Most cars won't stop to help out a rider, it's other riders who usually take the time and stop and make sure everything is okay.

staticghost

FZ6 Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah this is a perfect example of squid’s man. I really get super mad about seeing to many bikers here in NJ on 1000CC + bikes with no gear what so ever but the helmet. The other day I’ve seen a freaking retard in flip-flops, **** and shorts riding a brand new my future bike 2009 R1, and not just riding it safe but cutting thru traffic like it’s not even there. Too many posers out there making us safe riders look bad and giving bad name to motorcycle sport. Lame….Lame… :spank:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Today's threads are just full of lessons, aren't they?

Well done... stopping and checking up on the guy. He'll be ok but scarred for a long time.

boo68

I'm a girl dammit!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Just on my way home for lunch I saw a cruiser at the stop light he had boots, jeans, long sleeves, helmet.. the chick on the back??? flip-flops, shorts short sleeves and a helmet... wonder how he will feel if they ever wreck.. even passengers need to be ATGATT!

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site
Today's threads are just full of lessons, aren't they?

Well done... stopping and checking up on the guy. He'll be ok but scarred for a long time.

Probably a good thing that he fell at only 20 mph. Hopefully he learned his lesson and will gear up! And kudos to you for stopping to check on him! :cheer:

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
man I almost wanted to ask him WTF were you thinking?!?!? But I figured he had a bad enough day.

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
Even as a newbie, you did the veteran thing besides wearing your gear.

You stopped and asked if the other rider was okay and needed assistance Most cars won't stop to help out a rider, it's other riders who usually take the time and stop and make sure everything is okay.

When I dropped my bike not one cager stopped to help, so I figured we gotta look out for each other.

S

sm00thpapa

Whether I'm on my bike or in my SUV I always stop for a downed biker.

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
Just on my way home for lunch I saw a cruiser at the stop light he had boots, jeans, long sleeves, helmet.. the chick on the back??? flip-flops, shorts short sleeves and a helmet... wonder how he will feel if they ever wreck.. even passengers need to be ATGATT!

This pi$$es me off more than solo riders neglecting their gear. When you have a passenger, you are responsible for them. In essence, their life is in your hands. Your mistake will cost them dearly. All too many times I have seen the rider in full gear, and then the passenger in the bare minimum helmet. :spank::spank: If you take a passenger, both need to be ATGATT!!!!!

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
This pi$$es me off more than solo riders neglecting their gear. When you have a passenger, you are responsible for them. In essence, their life is in your hands. Your mistake will cost them dearly. All too many times I have seen the rider in full gear, and then the passenger in the bare minimum helmet. :spank::spank: If you take a passenger, both need to be ATGATT!!!!!

Sorry for the mini-rant.

Well put both of you. You are responsible for protecing your passengers. Most of us guys who take passengers it is girls we like/are dating/married too. How would you feel if they got injured or worse because you didn't make sure they were properly geared

S

sm00thpapa

Agree with the above comments. Yeah nothing is more sexier than a female passenger on the back of a bike in a thong. At almost every bike week you will see females on the back of bikes like this. I wonder how they would feel after a crash with just a thong and flip flops on. I bet that road rash on there butt wouldn't feel or look to good.

bluez

Reaction score
Visit site
No lie- a few weeks ago I saw some idiot on a scooter, one of the bigger ones, going around 70 mph down I-87 here in upstate NY. He was wearing boat shoes, no socks, shorts, and a tee shirt. But that ain't the half of it..... On the back, hanging onto the grab rails, was I presume his son. Couldn't have been older than 7 and was wearing sweat pants, sneakers, tee shirt and open face helmet. I wanted to follow him to his destination and kick his ass myself.

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Here is probably one of the most sobering stories of a passenger's horrific experience. Let this be a lesson/reminder to all of us that we are not invincible.

Road Rash Queen - SabMagFAQ
Road Rash

Please note that most of the images are graphic and likely not safe for work.

That was an absolutely amazing story. I am guilty of riding with only a helmet, even in shorts a few times. The story makes me think how lucky I am. I WILL be in full gear from now on.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is probably one of the most sobering stories of a passenger's horrific experience. Let this be a lesson/reminder to all of us that we are not invincible.

Road Rash Queen - SabMagFAQ
Road Rash

Please note that most of the images are graphic and likely not safe for work.

I had a friend who lost a lot of skin years ago, not as much as her. I wore gear then and always wear it now.

Dress for the crash, not the ride!

mercm3

newbie still dammit
Reaction score
Visit site
That was an absolutely amazing story. I am guilty of riding with only a helmet, even in shorts a few times. The story makes me think how lucky I am. I WILL be in full gear from now on.

Awesome, anytime a thread,post,link,article or pic helps a rider become safer it's like WINNER WINNER CHICKEN DINNER!!!!! :rockon:

scoobydrvr

Reaction score
Visit site
I felt compelled to share this. I layed my bike down on May 25 this year. wasn't going that fast at all, maybe 15-20. Ended up going wide (read the story here) and dropped it on it's left side. Anyhow, I skinned my knee up pretty good, no where near as bad as the Road Rash Queen, but I thought I would share what it looks like two months later.

View attachment 19237

It still gets tight and painful occasionally and always looks nasty after a shower.

Anyhow, asphalt is a very abrasive material and will quickly wear through any cotton material. I still get nervous going through turns with bumps or rocks on it. The crash has definitely stuck with me. Let other rider's experiences be a lesson. If you don't currently gear up for every ride, no matter how short, start doing it now.