West Virginia Route Suggestions

catcher_15

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello -

Myself and few other lads (two Fizzers, a BMW and a Buell) are planning a trip to WV in September. At the moment, the Seneca Rocks area looks appealing for setting a "base camp". We'll be there a three days of riding and are looking to do about 200-250 miles per day. Can anyone suggest any roads in area that are requiste for a proper two wheeled experience? We are looking for a nice blend of winding sweepers and tight twisties.

Thanks for the comments.

Brad.

catcher_15

Reaction score
Visit site
These are the routes we took. We had originally planned to camp at Holly River State Park which is why all the routes originate from there. However, the park was completely water logged so we ended up at a Days Inn in Flatwoods. The hotel made for a real nice place to "wheel spoke" out from and was very bike friendly. Would definitely stay there again for the next trip. All in all, the trip was a religious experience!!!

All the loops were run clock wise and by far the second route was the best. If we do it again, we'll probably just do two days as traffic (particularly trucks) picked up markedly on Monday…which means we'll cut out the first route.

SR-15 is absolutely fantastic between Webster Springs and Valley Head!!

SR-66 is not to miss along with the town of Cass. Interesting board walks in this "Company" town.

US-250…some turns you can see your tail lights!!

SR-39 has some real nice wide open sweepers that you can see all the way through.

SR-20 had a fair amount of truck traffic on the Monday. The best part of SR-20 is between Webster Springs and intersection with SR-15

SR-150 is alpine highlands…excellent scenery!! Huge high speed sweepers!!

And the climb up out of Marlinton on US-219…lets just say I touched the left side foot peg !!! I've not done that before or since.

US-60 was fairly straight. However, US-60 between Ansted and Chimney Corner was absolutely not straight. The short stint on SR-16 from Chimney Corner to Fayetteville is was well worth dealing with the straightness of US-60. Stop in Fayetteville to see the bridge and get lunch at the church. The bridge is something to be seen from river level. You can get down there on a sport bike…just do it slowly.

Day 1

Day 2

Day 3

Last edited:

bmccrary

Touring Mod
Reaction score
Visit site
thanks for posting! I was up that way the first of August and I was really impressed with the road conditions in WV. 66 is hoot too!

Planning on getting back up that way soon to spend more time at the NRAO. That and I would like to do some more riding through coal country.

Thanks again for posting. Glad you had a good time.

Next time stop and the Greenbrier for a bannasplit... you wont be dissappointed.

IMG_5749.jpg

More pictures from trip if your interested.
WVSR 2009 pictures by skeeterman426 - Photobucket

-bryan

teeter

Frank Zappa the 6th
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice! I know this an old post, but I just found it.

Those are some great roads. I love the tail lights comment regarding 250. What an epic road that is.

If you ever make it down again shoot me a PM. I'd love to meet up for some riding.

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Growing up in WV, we'd call Rt. 250 "Rt. Too Twisty." It's a great road in parts for bike riding, but much of the road is in bad condition from all the coal trucks.

jeff in ohio

Reaction score
Visit site
Growing up in WV, we'd call Rt. 250 "Rt. Too Twisty." It's a great road in parts for bike riding, but much of the road is in bad condition from all the coal trucks.

huh? bad condition? it's been in great shape for the last 10+ years I've been riding it.....

fzme

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad to hear you're enjoying it. My local area has several mine portals that use and abuse 250 as an access road, but I'm sure there are plenty of nice stretches--that's one LONG road.