Factory tires and trackdays

99vengeur

Reaction score
Visit site
So, I am looking at doing my first trackday this month and was wondering if the factory tires are sufficient enough to keep me upright??

I have less than 3000 miles on the tires and the tread is in good condition. Should I be alright to use these tires for my first trackday?

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yes they should be fine, any factory tires are going to be better than any race tires from the 80's.

there are certainly better tires out there that will stick better, but as long as you are not Rossi then you should not have an issue.

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site
Personally, I thought that factory tires were kind of slippery, stiff and took a while to warm up. That said, if you're patient with them (say, waiting 2 or more laps into the session to push them & yourself), you should be ok. And at 3000, you should be ok to use them for a track day.

Pilot Powers are good but I kind of growing tired of their tendency to cup on me in the front (a form of flat spotting/wearing that cause the transitions from vertical to leaned over to feel bumpy) if you don't watch your suspension or tire pressure carefully. They're also usually pretty cheap. 2CTs might be overkill for FZ6s & FZ6Rs especially if you're a beginner with no race experience. Check to see what Cycle Gear, SportbikeTrackGear.com, and the other usual places have for sale. Sometimes, you can get a pair of tires for under $200 with is about $50 saved.

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
When they checked my bike at the track they suggested I let air out of my tires for the track. That was the only adjustment I needed to make as far as tires were concerned.

mstewar1

hot diggity
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be sure to check with the organization who's sponsoring the track day. Some are strict about tires.

I attended a Reg Pridmore session and I recall them being very particular about tire age requirements. YMMV

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Yes, you'll be fine.

+1 on dropping tire pressure if you feel them slide mid-turn...

Most importantly, give yourself a lap of MELLOW riding before you open up, to make sure your tires are properly warmed up.

HAVE FUN and post pictures!!

REZN8R

Enlarged Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a track day 2 weeks ago with stock tires (6k miles). They were perfectly fine, just some wear and little rubber balls on the edges of he tread after a 20 minute session. I was hanging with CBR's and not slipping at all. My only limiting factor was the low position of the foot pegs that kept scraping on the turns.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
I just did a track day 2 weeks ago with stock tires (6k miles). They were perfectly fine, just some wear and little rubber balls on the edges of he tread after a 20 minute session. I was hanging with CBR's and not slipping at all. My only limiting factor was the low position of the foot pegs that kept scraping on the turns.

Nice! Any pics of you on the track?? post em up!

I wouldn't recommend pushing old stock tires on the track though. If it'ss your first trackday in group C, and you just want to check it out, sure they're fine IMO.

However, a race or supersport tire of any main brand will give you much more grip, control and predictibility compared to your stock FZ6 6k :eek: old tires :)

jmerch44

Reaction score
Visit site
Dude go for it. Thats the perfect place to find out how good your tires are. they dont just give up on you right away, there will be signs if your pushing to hard. Just be aware of what your doing and how the bike is responding. 9 out of 10 times you are the part of the bike thats not good enough.:rockon:

oso2k

Reaction score
Visit site

You know, I make setback plates to take care of the scrapping.