Finally Nekkid!

CatFox

Reaction score
Visit site
I finally broke down and did the full headlight conversion for the FZ6N! Didn't lay down or anything, just always like the naked look. I used all Yamaha parts as ironically I am very much all for stock bikes (only reason I looked in FZ6 direction was because I saw the FZ6N). I bought the parts from Honda Motorcycle Parts, Kawasaki, Suzuki and Yamaha Motorcycle Parts - ATV, Classic Bike, Dirt Bike Parts for $850 total and then some bar end mirrors for $40 with a couple of extra screws and nuts at Home Depot for $10 to make it right at $900 total.

I did all the work myself with only needing to drill/tap 2 holes in the upper triple and another hole in the horn bracket. I also drimmeled and painted a couple of pieces on the assembly and horn bracket to keep the brake cable bound to it. For putting the bar end mirrors on, I drimmeled out the little plastic nipples in the lights and starter plastic assemblies to be able to move everything in a 1/2". All since the FZ6 bars are tapped inside thus preventing easy bar end mounting.

Only change I made to the wiring harness was rewire for one headlight connector. The extra foot of cable is bundled very neatly and hiding behind the horn in between the forks(picture). Just in case I ever want to go back, I didn't want to solder the wires shorter. Will also depend on what I can get more for when I go to sell, the plastic fairing or the true Yamaha FZ6N headlight conversion.

Overall, it probably took me about 20 hours worth of work, but mostly because of trial and error of trying to hide wires or rerouting them through this harness or hole and making the occasional stop at Home Depot. Also tried other solutions to attaching the assembly to the lower triple before deciding on just using the original horn bracket. I could probably do in 2 to 3 knowing what I know now!

YAY I'm finally part of the naked club! :welcome:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
looks awesome!!!

I might really consider this someday, it looks sooo damn sexy!!

how do you feel with the wind on the highway compared to the fairings?

CatFox

Reaction score
Visit site
looks awesome!!!

I might really consider this someday, it looks sooo damn sexy!!

how do you feel with the wind on the highway compared to the fairings?

I've only gone about 250 miles since the mod and for the most part have been quite pleased with how the wind hits me. I don't feel like I am fighting it so much as that it just kind of holds my body up as I lean on the handlebars.

I'm going on a trip with my bike in a couple of weeks, I can give more insight then, but so far only been on a highway going 80 or so. I'm just scared of it getting colder, since before I could duck behind the fairing, I no longer get that option now.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I agree... this naked mod is the BEST! Using the Yamaha parts keeps it super clean. Well done, great job, EXCELLENT bike! :thumbup: :rockon:

kenzie816

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi great job on the mod! I am currently in the process of doing this same mod and have a question for you. The low connector from the original wiring harness plugs right into the connector for the main bulb on the new headlight, but the upper bulb has a different connector. Where did you find the connector to plug into the upper (smaller) bulb and what is it called?

Thanks!

fazil

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the bump!

I haven't seen this thread. It looks very clean. I am preparing for the same project with the OEM parts. It will be a spring project.

It seems, hiding the wires behind the headlight will be possible.
This means i won't have to take out the tank and air filter box i guess.

Pranqster

Banned
Reaction score
Visit site
looks fantastic, but for anyone else interested in going naked, I STRONGLY recommend Dev-usc's VS-2 kit. Its $300 bucks and is a Factory Yamaha kit. it is a direct plug and play mod and you don't have to drill a single hole. check out all the "VS-2" naked kits on this forum. welcom to the nekid world!

kenzie816

Reaction score
Visit site
The one talked about for 850 in this thread is the one sold stock on the FZ6n around the world. It is therefore also Yamaha OEM, and directly built for the bike. The one for 300 is the FZ16 I think, and modified to be direct bolt on and plug and play for the FZ6. Furthermore, they have different styling so it depends which style you like best. Don't get me wrong the cheaper one still looks good in my opinion, just wanted to clarify.