RaceTech Suspension Mod: Step-by-step w/ PICS

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I completed my front end RachTech modification this past weekend (04/22/2007 ? 2004 Yamaha FZ6). In preparation for the mod I had to do a lot of searching in different places for the information I needed, so I figured I?d put everything I learned into one comprehensive thread?

The mod is not very hard but the thought of modifying something as important as your front suspension can be intimidating for the uninitiated?so hopefully this helps.

The Mod, step by step (what I did, not necessarily what you should do) ?

You need to elevate your front wheel. I put my bike on the center stand and placed some weight in my rear top case (see picture) so that the front wheel was lifted off the ground. I also but a can with a towel on top (see picture) under the headers for stability.

Remove the brakes, front fender and front wheel. I supported the heavy brakes using a Coca-Cola crate so that they were not hanging by the brake lines (see picture). Loosen the clamps holding the forks in place and slide them out (cut/clip the zip ties). Be sure to loosen the fork caps before you loosen and remove the forks from the bike for obvious reasons. Don't totally remove the caps until the forks are removed, or you will spill old fork oil everywhere.

2662637538_3e71838cbd_b.jpg

Once you remove the fork caps, the spacer (metal tubing) will pop out a couple inches (with only minimal force so don?t be worried). Pull those out along with the stock washer and springs. Dump out the oil into a container. You should compress/extend the shocks a few times while upside down to get all the grey quickcrete-looking oil out.

Next, cut your spacers using the RaceTech provided pipe and decide how many if any RaceTech provided washers you?re going to use. The length of your spacers and the amount of washers you use will impact your initial sag and suspension characteristics. You?ll have to figure this out on your own but 7 3/8? and one washer on top [EDIT - I've cut them down to ~6.75" for sag of ~30mm w/ gear on] gave me what I wanted (I?m 170lb. with no gear, do the occasional track day and ride two-up every now and then).

The hardest part was getting the spacers cut completely straight and equal to each other. I had to do a fair amount of filing by hand. In hindsight, a large handheld tubing cutter (mine was too small) or a handheld hacksaw (I used a large electric one) is probably the best way to go.

The service manual will tell you exactly how much oil to dump in (I went with 0.467L of 15wt per fork). Once you have the oil in, put the fork springs in, then the stock washer, next the RaceTech spacers you cut, finally any RaceTech washer(s), and finally screw on the cap most of the way.

Slide the forks back in the clamps and tighten the top clamps just enough to keep the forks from dropping, install fender, wheel and then brakes. Now that the forks are tied together by the wheel and the fork clamps you can finish tightening the fork caps and set the forks exactly where you want them in the clamps (I dropped my front end about 10mm or so). I used blue locktite on everything except the front axle and the fork caps.

Cost/Tools ?

(1) $18 (shipped) or so for the 15wt Belray oil (FZ6 Dude hooked me up on the cheap). You can use whatever brand or weight you want (stock is 5wt).

(2) $95 for RaceTech springs, 0.95 kg/mm (stock are 0.80kg/mm). Again, you can use whatever spring you want. The RaceTech website has a calculator that generates a recommended spring for your weight and riding style. Race Tech Inc.

(3) Various metric ratchets, adjustable wrench, locktite, container with ml measurements, tool for the front wheel axle, various allen keys, large tube cutter or hack saw, file, and a measuring tape. A torque wrench should be used but is not required.

Spring Size -

I?ve seem some discussion about how the RaceTech springs are shorter than the stock springs. Well, if you look at the stock springs you will notice that a good portion of the springs looks like completely compacted coil that allows for no movement.(see picture).

Tour Guide said:
as far as the stock springs having different distances in the coils. they are what are called variable rate vs. the racer techs being a fixed rate. there is a lot of controversy which is better. but most racers run the fixed rate due to setting up the susension for a certian weight person. also the variable rates give you a smoother ride. most bikes come with variable rate springs.

Results ?

Night and Day?.

In short, I feel much more planted in turns. The bike does not wallow like it used to and reacts much better to mid-corner adjustments (it is impossible to overstate the importance of this). And then there are the much needed braking related improvements! I feel much more confident getting on the brakes hard. The excessive dive is gone and you simply do not notice the front end struggling so much as you ease off the brakes. I also had a chance to ride two-up?.much smoother?my passenger was happy.

When I first sat on the bike I noticed the front end felt noticeably higher due to the reduction in sag. This bothered me at first but I quickly forgot it and can be adjusted several ways. I need to do some more testing but may end up dropping the front slight farther?not sure yet.

In any event, I have not been this excited about my bike since I first bought it. I can?t wait to hit the track next month!
________
Web shows

Last edited:
S

sportrider

good post, Defy!!! what weight spring did you go with? are the race tech springs progressive or a straight rate? did the kit come with different valving or was the thicker fork oil enough to slow the dampening rate? have you had any high speed compression issues running 15w e.g. hydraulic lock?

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
what weight spring did you go with?

are the race tech springs progressive or a straight rate?

did the kit come with different valving or was the thicker fork oil enough to slow the dampening rate?

have you had any high speed compression issues running 15w e.g. hydraulic lock?

.95 - see above

straight - see above

emulators can be purchased for another $160 but I don't need them - the whole point of the heavier oil is to increase damping, so yes.

the springs are stiff enough so that h-lock is not an issue...people run the stock springs with 15 and even 20wt oil w/out issue.
________
WASHINGTON MEDICAL MARIJUANA DISPENSARY

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I'd like to do this, for just commuting the stock forks are fine, but when I'm riding the twisties the forks are to soft, they dive to much under heavy braking. I haven't noticed any problems with the rear but that may be because how soft the front is.
once again great post thanks for the info!!!

hey Santa, if your reading this...

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered mine from MotoNeko and after adding the fork oil (Repsol), the shipping is free. $110 total.

I got the 1KG... Racetech spec'd me at a .977 so I rounded up. I am 5'10" and 230 lbs and that's not all fat! (See album). I got the 15w oil. I'm looking for much firmer forks with my size frame on the FZ6. I figure this is cheaper than the R6 fork mod and a lot less hassle.

I'll be sure to take some pics and add to Nates post. Anyone looking for specific shots of something, please let me know and I'll do my best to fill your requests.

Wish me luck!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, after this wait.... the spring kit arrived this Saturday morning. I was anxious to start the mod tomorrow to get it done, however, I was shorted two bottles of 15w oil! I ordered 3 half liters but only one came in. I called their 800 number and the gentleman I spoke to spotted the error and will have the two bottles to me before Friday. I should have this done next weekend!

The bad news? We just got another 8" of snow! The banks beside the driveway are now over 5' tall! I haven't seen my mailbox from the front windows for months! There's no end in site to this frikken white mess! God! How I abhor that damned ground hog!

-Eric

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
You can still do the entire mod and then just dump the correct amout of oil in once it arrives (should only need ~950ml total, right?)

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
You can still do the entire mod and then just dump the correct amout of oil in once it arrives (should only need ~950ml total, right?)

I added 450ml. or so, in each leg when I did mine. I measured what I pumped out and put that amount back in. I figured it was a good baseline to begin from.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
question: Racetech recommends my spring be .87 while the stock is .80. Is that really going to make a difference?

OR

What would the difference be by switching to 15wt oil only?

How does oil weight affect front fork rebound? Thanks!

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
question: Racetech recommends my spring be .87 while the stock is .80. Is that really going to make a difference?

OR

What would the difference be by switching to 15wt oil only?

How does oil weight affect front fork rebound? Thanks!

It will. My spring was a suggested .88 or so, so I rounded up to .90. BIG difference. The change in the fork oil makes a very big difference too. I am pretty sure the stock oil is a 7 wt.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure about the 2007+, but stock in the pre-2007 bikes is 5wt.

Going from 0.80 to 0.90 will definitely make a very noticeably difference. Also, check out the TourGuide statement in my original post that discusses the different types of springs.

trailmug

Reaction score
Visit site
Awakening a dead thread here, I realize, but I recently installed RaceTech springs on a 2008, and figured I'd share my experience and thoughts. I am around 170 clothed w/o gear, and went with RaceTech's .90kg/mm "street" recommendation.

For fun, I tried using the stock spacers with the RaceTech springs (because although RaceTech's springs were a tad shorter, they are also stiffer). The combination, of course, results in a fork that's easy to bottom hard on the brakes. I'd seen folks here who had installed spacers of 7" (178mm) or a bit less, so I used 7" as a starting point (hard to add length to a tube..). After installing and cutting a few times, riding, measuring loaded sag, my spacer tubes ended up about 6-3/8" (162mm) to get close to stock sag, cornering feel, and comfortable sidestand lean. (Not sure if 07-08 have the same fork dimensions as previous years, but I assume so.. interesting that mine ended up so much shorter. Also, it takes a two-person heave to cram 7" spacers into this fork and secure the cap.) I only used the two stock washers, one between each spring and spacer. Bel-Ray 10wt oil was teamed in an attempt to compromise bouncing and high-speed tracking.

I can happily report that I really don't notice the fork while riding hard, whereas before, the 6-8k mid-corner engine snatch would bob the fork unsettlingly. Large bumps are felt a bit more in the wrists now, but they don't feel notably more harsh than the stock rear suspension.

If you will primarily ride hard and leaned, it does seem like RaceTech's "racing" rate recommendation would be pretty well on the money. A bit less height variation when pushing the limits braking would be comforting, but with a significant portion of my time commuting, the "street" recommendation seems a good compromise.

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI the stock springs are not 0.8kg/mm, they are progressive (2 step really)coils with a rate rising from from 0.75kg/mm (travel 0-70 mm) to 1.2kg/mm (70-130mm).

The service manuals for the 2004 and 2007 both say stock oil is type "01"
which according to their website is 0-weight.

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA - Lubricants & Grease 01 Suspension Oil

If you do the racetech springs and use their guidelines for oil weight I would also do the emulators..so the compression curve is matched and more linear. I would think that going from 0 to 15WT would make a huge difference in high-speed compression curve on a damper-rod fork (ie harsh). You must have really nice roads where you ride :)

I did the full racetech setup with emulators on my FZR and while the overall handling did improve (stock springs were 0.464-0.8kg 2-stage progressives, very soft), it was also more tiring on long rides. I do a lot of backroads-type riding which can get rough.

IMO if you are a street rider and find the stock front end unacceptable you should first check/set static sag, and maybe try the next step heavier oil to gain a bit more damping. The fork oil could also be considered a service item anyway, so if you have a lot of miles (like the OP's bike, looks like it's getting ridden :thumbup:) it has probably broken down.

I have yet to experience the same wet-noodle feeling with the stock FZ6 setup, seems firm yet compliant, maybe a small bit of chatter in bumpy turns that a step heavier oil would probably fix. I suppose if you are a heavier rider then it might be more pronounced (more weight to control and also hitting the higher-rate portion of the spring which might cause some kickback due to under-damped rebound).

Last edited:

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
FYI the stock springs are not 0.8kg/mm, they are progressive (2 step really)coils with a rate rising from from 0.75kg/mm (travel 0-70 mm) to 1.2kg/mm (70-130mm).

The service manuals for the 2004 and 2007 both say stock oil is type \\"01\\"

Yamaha Motor Corporation, USA - Lubricants & Grease 01 Suspension Oil

If you do the racetech springs and use their guidelines for oil weight I would also do the emulators..so the compression curve is matched and more linear. I would think that going from 0 to 15WT would make a huge difference in high-speed compression curve on a damper-rod fork (ie harsh). You must have really nice roads where you ride :)

I did the full racetech setup with emulators on my FZR and while the overall handling did improve (stock springs were 0.464-0.8kg 2-stage progressives, very soft), it was also more tiring on long rides. I do a lot of backroads-type riding which can get rough.

IMO if you are a street rider and find the stock front end unacceptable you should first check/set static sag, and maybe try the next step heavier oil to gain a bit more damping. The fork oil could also be considered a service item anyway, so if you have a lot of miles (like the OP's bike, looks like it's getting ridden :thumbup:) it has probably broken down.

I have yet to experience the same wet-noodle feeling with the stock FZ6 setup, seems firm yet compliant, maybe a small bit of chatter in bumpy turns that a step heavier oil would probably fix. I suppose if you are a heavier rider then it might be more pronounced (more weight to control and also hitting the higher-rate portion of the spring which might cause some kickback due to under-damped rebound).

So, if I understand what you are saying, the emulators are not worth the effort and I would be better off experimenting with different oil viscosities?

John

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
I really think there are two ways to apprach it:

1. The emulators do work well and I would use them if you are doing the RT springs and esp. if you are using the heavier 15 wt oil. You increase the oil wt to provide more rebound damping (needed because the heavier spring will push back harder) but if you don't adjust the compression you now have a heavy spring + over-damped compression = harsh fork on sharp bumps (fast suspension speed). A damper rod fork has very non-linear compression curve, almost exponential (damping vs. speed).. the emulators make it more linear..and when you combine it with a straight-rate spring, it's very predictable so if you do track-days, canyons of smooth roads, etc. it is a good option. Also good if you are a heavier rider or do two-ups.

2. If you are average weight and are riding the bike on the street with a mix of surfaces, you might find all you need to do is set the sag properly (+/- from stock depending on your weight) and change the oil to a bit heavier weight to settle it down...saving a lot of work and $$ and keeping the bike "streetable". :thumbup:

It takes just a couple minutes to check the sag....you should be in the 25-33% range with your gear on (ie 33-43mm).

Hondo64d

Reaction score
Visit site
I appreciate the input. I have been trying to decide whether to go with replacing the factory forks with R6S forks (maybe the best solution, but a little more complicated), or upgrading the factory forks via RaceTech springs and emulators (a simpler but hopefully effective solution).

Still trying to decide, but you have given me another option to consider.

John

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
tuningfork, thanks for the comments. I'll try and clear up a few things for you below.

FYI the 0.80kg/mm rate is from suspension professionals at racetech's site. They averaged the rate of the springs for reference purposes only. For all practical applications, the stock springs don't work too well for people who need a spring rate over 0.80kg/mm.

The service manuals for the 2004 and 2007 both say stock oil is type \\"01\\"

And the fork oil recommendation is type 01 oil, which is 3.5-5.5 wt oil. From what I understand, all manufactures recommend that weight to make sure it flows freely.

If you do the racetech springs and use their guidelines for oil weight I would also do the emulators..so the compression curve is matched and more linear.

If you're going to drop $160+ for the emulators alone (ignore install costs), you might as well go the R6 fork mod route for about the same total cost and better performance.

The fork oil could also be considered a service item anyway, so if you have a lot of miles (like the OP's bike, looks like it's getting ridden :thumbup:) it has probably broken down.

Definitely a service item. FWIW, ped runs 20wt oil with stock springs on the street and at the track; he has however, upped the preload considerably. I think the most popular oil wt is 15 with, with some others running 10wt. *shrug*

Last edited: