Note to Self: Don't Scavenge Food from the Roadside

jreese86

FZ6 Owner!
Reaction score
Visit site
I was riding two-up today on some back roads, and what I think was a hawk was eating something off the side of the road. As I approached it, it got startled, and flew right into the middle of the road. Luckily it didn't hit my wheel and it was on my right side so it didn't get caught in the chain, but sure enough I felt it THUD against my boots. I effectively kicked a hawk at 40mph. I looked back and saw it lying in the road as the line of cars behind me drove over it. It looked dead/unconscious so hopefully it didn't feel much. I'm definitely feeling pretty lucky, as the situation could have ended much worse and I'd feel horrible if I dumped my fiance on the cement. I was pretty bummed but my fiance hadn't even realized it happened. I pulled over to make sure the bike was alright and she had no idea what was going on, which is a good thing, because she probably would have started bawling.

blchandl2

Reaction score
Visit site
Good on you for staying focused and not losing control. I got hit in the head by a pheasant once and my neck was sore for weeks.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good thing either one of you didn't take it in the face!!!
Didn't someone post a video here a couple years ago where the driver did duck, and the passenger took it (can't remember what it was) in the face?

Glad you're okay! :thumbup:

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Did the same thing to a ground hog a couple of weeks back. Hit it with the toe of my shifting boot. It made a terrible thump sound and feeling. I came back the same way about an hour later and it was still there untouched by the dozens of cars that passed right over it.

4drfocus

Rurouni
Reaction score
Visit site
A few weeks ago I spooked a raven that was eating something on the roadside, stupid bird decided to fly in front of the bike, it hit me in the left sholder at 60 mph.:shakehead: