Epic burnout failure

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm normally not the squidly type aside from a small wheelie now and then but last weekend I was riding with a guy on a VMax.....holy crap....those things not only bring out the hooligan in the rider but anyone around them too....

After watching him do countless burnouts I figured I'd go for it as well....started out well, pinned it at 10k and let the clutch out quick and the bike went right to work wasting countless dollars of rubber but after a few seconds the revs started falling so I cranked the throttle and my fingers slipped off the front brake...

Immediately the bike took off skyward. I had my feet down in front of the pegs (DON'T DO THIS) so they were quickly swept out from under me and I was thrown back in the seat for the ride. Luckily or unluckily there was a curb about 10 feet away which the rear tire promptly smacked into and started rolling over as the bike fell backwards. I thankfully had the presence of mind to try and escape from under it but it still fell on my right ankle and arm. As always, I was geared up so I've only got a bruised arm, ankle and ego..

Sliders protected the frame and engine covers very well but it fell on the rear grab rail which cracked the whole tail piece and exhaust cover and tweaked the subframe. Rear wheel was dented when it hit the curb. front fairing and tank were nicked a tad bit. Insurance adjuster came yesterday and preliminary estimate was $2600...

Worst part of all was I got up and realized the bike had popped up so fast when it took off that it totally ripped the crotch out of my pants....so after 6 years and almost 20k miles of riding I was reduced to a noob squid with his package hanging out of South Park valentine's boxers (thanks, wife...) within seconds all because I didn't respect the bike.

Last edited:

08-FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you are ok, the last part of your story had me rolling. Sorry about your bike though.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks. Yeah everyone there was laughing hysterically after they made sure I was ok. Then I got the bike home only to be laughed at further by my wife :p Kinda glad the pants thing happened or she would have been pissed about our rates going up :D

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
That sucks dude, glad you're OK and that your wife took it OK that could have been worse than the fall I imagine. I did LOL at the South Park boxers though. Classy all the way.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if I feel bad about your mishap, or if I feel bad for laughing about it. Either way, I'm glad you're ok.

Don't feel bad about either, was my own fault. Just hope someone else reads this and thinks twice about that next burnout. Thank god for insurance, although I doubt I'll be seeing anywhere near the $200 a year I was paying for coverage on the FZ before this.

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Gald your ok, it takes a big man to share a story like that, thank you. It will definitely make me think twice when I'm feeling squirly in the future :D

Mexi-can't

Biker dude
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
When my tire was getting close to replacement time I would do a burnout once in a while. I can honestly say I never came close to doing what you just described. I know my neighbors loved me. :D

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
Very glad to hear you ok minus the bruised ego, elbow and the uh extra exposure you experienced. I was definitely laughing a little bit at the end of your story. Now get that bike fixed and get back on the road!!

Steph

Bartender
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm normally not the squidly type aside from a small wheelie now and then but last weekend I was riding with a guy on a VMax.....holy crap....those things not only bring out the hooligan in the rider but anyone around them too....

Before I even finished reading the post I knew you were in trouble! I definitely agree that Vmaxers are hooligans...from first hand knowledge. This is the crowd I ran with. I too was laughing by the end of the story lol.

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
I knew this story was going bad when you said you started a burnout at 10k. Glad you are okay for the most part.

and of course :needpics:

Where do you start from? The couple other times I've done one I always started from there because I figured it would need as much power as possible to start spinning without stalling but I could be totally wrong.

I'll try and get some pics, it's really not as bad as the estimate would suggest, they just want to replace everything that was even smudged

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
A bruised ego is the most considerate wound...
Takes the longest to heal...
You grow back a stronger person...
If you're not hurt everyone laughs, especially if your junk is hanging out...

glad to hear you're ok its been a rough a week...

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
....so after 6 years and almost 20k miles of riding I was reduced to a noob squid with his package hanging out of South Park valentine's boxers (thanks, wife...) within seconds all because I didn't respect the bike.
Quote of the Year!! :D

Glad you're mostly okay! :thumbup:

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
So glad you're okay.
You're the best man! Don't forget it!:rockon:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not sure if I feel bad about your mishap, or if I feel bad for laughing about it. Either way, I'm glad you're ok.

Couldn't have said it better.

I've been skywards before on this bike (noob mistake of clutch/throttle control), and I know how little control you have. Thankfully in my instance I pulled in the clutch before I ran into the back of a parked car.