Signal Relay & LED's

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Well as many of you may know, I installed flushmount LED signals as well as an Ermax Undertail with LED signals. Anyone who has done this knows that the flash rate is like 3x faster after you do this if you don't insert some resistance and/or a new relay in the circuit.

My undertail came with a new LED Relay and I finally got around to installing it. So, I figured the easiest way to go about doing this was to simply replace the stock relay with the new one.

The relay is located under the left, front fairing, right next to the fuel tank, it is (right here), thanks Boneman.
picture.php

Next step was to remove the old relay, there are two wires attached one to the battery and one to the signal switch, the connectors on the original relay are smaller than on the new relay so I had to cut them and add new connectors. In addition the new relay needs to be grounded so I needed to run a ground to the battery (here):
picture.php

Now that I had the ground it was time to attach the wiring; Black is my new ground, connects to the - on the relay; Brown w/Green stripe is positive, connects to + on the relay, Brown w/Yellow stripe goes to signal switch and connects to the L on the relay (see below):
picture.php

Here is the new relay in position:
picture.php

Took about 30 minutes and now all six LED Signals are blinking at the DOT approved rate. Thank you to the forum and Boneman for the help and info :D

Last edited:

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
So what the hell are the relays in the rear pod near the seat for??? :confused: I assumed the same as you before reading this post!

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
So what the hell are the relays in the rear pod near the seat for??? :confused: I assumed the same as you before reading this post!

If the rest of the service manual is to be believed they are:

#9 Radiator Fan Relay
#8 Dimmer Relay
#7 Starting Circuit Cut-off relay (not in the picture but to the right of #8)
jtarkany-albums-just-fun-picture4142-service-manual-relay.jpg

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Ok, here are the before and after videos on the blinker speed:

Before:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ymqB3TwT3sE[/ame]

After:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=glYg1Icxyxs[/ame]

Last edited:

SovietRobot

Scourge Of Humanity
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad you got it worked out!

If anyone's looking for a great plug and play(no wiring) relay that works with any and all signals, go to customled.com for their $20 relay. No I am not affiliated with that company, I just had great results with their relays :)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Great post!! I've been woundering about doing this and now I think I will give it a shot! Thanks for the great wrtie up. :thumbup:

Mine have 2 resistors each side and they get HOT!!!! I have them bent away from thee faring, but they hav actually melted it a bit adn of course will burn through any wires that might come in contact with it!!! Not to mention that my signals still flash really fast (like in your 1st video clip).

I think I will orcer one of these LED relays up and give it a shot!!

Thanks a bunch!

Trembler

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the relay site: I just ordered one of these relays. I also ordered an LED tail light bulb from superbrightleds.com (12LED bulb, 1157 replacement). I may do the same for the rear signals which are already smaller with the fender eliminator kit. For the front turn signals I ordered a set of flush mounts off of Ebay (15 Amber LEDS each side):

LINK:
http://stores.shop.ebay.com/KAPSCO-...13QQ_sidZ602581773QQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em322

Last edited:

sockstobed

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got mine and hoping to have it installed tonight... Crossing fingers.. I have a buddy helping me so I don't mess anything up..lol . I will post pics after she is all ready...

Socks

chemicalsmile

Reaction score
Visit site
Mayassa - if you take the left hand inner fairing piece off it's right underneath - black square box fastened to a bracket with a rubber belt/band thing, can't miss it.