MRA TouringScreen Windshield- No Good

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
So I recently bought 1"up x 1"back risers and new windscreen from Twisted Throttle. I love the risers, they're perfect but the screen is worse than stock!!

http://www.twistedthrottle.com/ezimagecatalogue/catalogue/variations/9775-425x350.jpg (not sure how to get the pic embedded)

I know I didn't go with tons of advice of buying Puig DB but this stood much taller and I figured it would push wind further over me... WRONG. The wind is pushed up, and then right back down to hit me in the neck/chest area, which buggingly pulls on the collar of my shirt if I'm not wearing a jacket. The turbulent area is right on my helmet too, so I get tossed about and have a much louder experience than the stock screen provided, along with a little pressure induced ear pain.

Anyway, I just wanted to let others know what I thought in case they were looking at this item too. If you want to try it out, I'll sell it at half price +shipping but I guess that should go in the for sale section (sorry moderators). I'll work on that later (shh i'm at work).

I've read a lot about the Puig DB race screen and touring screen being great, but do they really push the air completely over your head? Is there such a screen that isn't found at the Harley dealership?

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
For5 info, I bought the MRA vario sport-touring screen, and that worked well.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
For5 info, I bought the MRA vario sport-touring screen, and that worked well.

Would you say the wind goes over your head completely or is just more comfortable than stock? The stock screen on my R6 puts wind on the lower chest area (when sitting upright as I can) and is more comfortable than this new screen on the FZ6. Do the 7 different positions really change the flow?

Thanks

dean owens

Hippopotomonstrosesquiped
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.ccf-unc.org
i have no screen advice because i have the older bike and stock screen. although i do want something taller when it gets colder to keep the wind off my neck.

... which buggingly pulls on the collar of my shirt if I'm not wearing a jacket.
:eek: :spank:

... and have a much louder experience than the stock screen provided, along with a little pressure induced ear pain.
i ride with earplugs all the time. you should give it a try. once i forgot them and it was the worst ride ever. i was so focused on how annoyed i was that i wasn't able to give the ride the attention it needed.

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Would you say the wind goes over your head completely or is just more comfortable than stock? The stock screen on my R6 puts wind on the lower chest area (when sitting upright as I can) and is more comfortable than this new screen on the FZ6. Do the 7 different positions really change the flow?

Thanks

I found the wind stayed directed at me still, but with considerably less turbulence, very noticeable on a long ride, as there was less buffeting of my head.

There is a slight difference with the positions, but I cannot figure out which is better, I tend to leave it on the highest.

Erci

Howie Mandel's evil twin
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've read a lot about the Puig DB race screen and touring screen being great, but do they really push the air completely over your head? Is there such a screen that isn't found at the Harley dealership?

I've got the Puke DB. Nope.. it absolutely does not push the air over my head. Compared to stock, it does completely eliminate wind at the chin/neck area, but more wind is directed at the helmet. It's a huge improvement, in my opinion, but no.. it doesn't transform this bike into a quiet highway tourer.
As mentioned, ear plugs are the way to go. Read up on it.. you're pretty much guaranteed to suffer some degree of permanent hearing loss if you ride at highway speeds and don't use them.

Coopdman

Wolf Pack of One
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the tips guys... I wished I had remembered ear plugs this morning. I meant to try it on my ride in and forgot. I'm grabbing a pair now. Also thought about riding home sans screen and see how that felt. If I like it, I may go the way of the naked. I have a feeling it will be great until a large truck disrupts the wind in front of me.

As for the next screen if there is one... wind on my helmet is fine with me as long as it's laminar and not turbulent. Wonder if the local shop will let me test some out, haha. Wouldn't that be nice! 'Till then I'll sport the collar pulling, chest hair boasting, MRA. At least it hasn't been ruined with spray paint like the stock screen in the garage (previous owner).

Thanks Again,
Coop

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
I don't think you can get wind totally over your helmet without a huge touring-style screen. In fact, the closer you get (without succeeding) to getting wind over your head, the worse it is. As turbulent air moves up from your chest to neck to helmet, you get much more helmet noise. Finally when you pop it over your helmet, you are back to calm air and significantly reduced wind noise (but I still use earplugs if I intend to go over 35 mph).

Two of us have done a touring style shield that we've both been happy with: http://www.600riders.com/forum/prod...n-wind-blast-wind-noise-you-can-have-all.html

But if you're trying to retain a sporting look, it isn't that.