4000 miles on a set of tires!!!!!

S

sportrider

this is one of those "I never thought it could happen to me" threads
I really, really need to replace my tires!!! but I keep doing the "they got one more ride in them" thing. so as usual I rode to work today. when I got home I did the math and realized I've got 3996 miles on this set of Pilot Powers. they are DONE... unless... maybe... they have one more ride in them???

W

wrightme43

LOL Damn it man, get some new tires.

Bad wrecks are usually on bad tires. Check the nearest junk yard.

J

jsteinb95

Ok Danny.....I'm putting my foot down on this one. You are not riding your bike until you get tires. Go buy tires after work tomorrow. That's one thing to see how far you can go on a low fuel light (which you have done AND ran out of gas) , but tires.......it's not worth it. Think safety....:thumbup:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Glad I'm a beginner; if I only got 4,000 miles on a set of tires I couldn't afford to be a motorcyclist... :(

S

sportrider

Glad I'm a beginner; if I only got 4,000 miles on a set of tires I couldn't afford to be a motorcyclist... :(
dang, I thought I was doing good!!! LOL

even going through a set every three months its still cheaper then filling up my pickup weekly.

W

wrightme43

See at least you get new tires.

Try a set of Avon Storms man, I bet you will love them. I have 3600 on mine and you cant hardly tell they have been used. Awesome wet traction, awesome dry traction. I was practicing my emergency stops yesterday, and picked the rear wheel up. Pretty impressive for touring tires to me. I have rode in the pouring down rain at 80 mph and felt confident as well.

In the intrest of being fair, I did win a t-shirt from Avon. Also if I get 10 people to switch to Avon tires they are going to fly in the Swedish Bikini Team for me.

S

sportrider

will see whats in stock, I like the PPs, I was thinking about trying a set of Qualifiers. or CorsaIII. I guess I'll have to wait and see. I lack patence so if I have to order something I probably won't get it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I get a lot of mileage out of my tires...more than 4,000....but I'm only ~175lbs.

EDIT - check out sportbiketrackgear.com for the lowest price on PP's, period.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:

poorwboy

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok Danny.....I'm putting my foot down on this one. You are not riding your bike until you get tires. Go buy tires after work tomorrow. That's one thing to see how far you can go on a low fuel light (which you have done AND ran out of gas) , but tires.......it's not worth it. Think safety....:thumbup:
Dude she gave you the ok. We havent rode for weeks because of your tires, WTF. Are you just scared, kittie kat. j/k, you know I love you bro.

W

wrightme43

I got plenty of room man, your welcome to hang out. I figured I would just buy some supersoakers fill them with baby oil, three cases of whipped cream in cans, and a bottle of jet puffed marshmellow cream. You go in on the supersoakers and were cool. Those things are steep.

B

Bo67

The Swedish bikini team huh? I'm placing my order for 37 sets of Avon Storms now. Let me know when the team arrives.

enjoytheride68

Reaction score
Visit site
:Sport: I agree, bad tires are a cause of a lot of accidents. I use Pilot roads on my FJR, Great all weather tire, got 12000 out of last set. My wife runs Metzler roadtec Z6, she got almost 9000 out her last set. We are set up for mainly touring. Both set of tires are good all weather tires. That is my 2 cents. Enjoy the ride, J&P

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
dang, I thought I was doing good!!! LOL

even going through a set every three months its still cheaper then filling up my pickup weekly.

My Ex girfriend has 9000km on the original Dunlops of my former '05 FZ6 and they still look brand new. Either you're extremely heavy on the brakes & throttle or they are cheap tires.

Last edited:

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My girfriend has 9000km on the original Dunlops of my former '05 FZ6 and they still look brand new. Either you're extremely heavy on the brakes & throttle or they are cheap tires.

I'm thinking (hoping for you) that he weighs quite a bit more than your girlfiriend. He probably rides harder (as evidenced by his ride reports) and most likely deals with a much higher average temp (in land SoCal vs. Canada). He runs good tires....they are just on the stickier side.
________
Laguna Bay II Condominium

Last edited:
S

sportrider

I'm in the process of pulling my wheels again. although I was going to throw down a big burn out just to finish off the rear for fun. they got my PPs in stock so I'll probably get them again tomorrow.

thanks for the link Defy! good prices maybe I'll plan ahead next time and save a buck:thumbup:

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I got 4k on the OEM Dunlops and then switched to Pilot Roads which have 4k on them now and are pretty new looking - enough so that I'm expecting 8 - 10k. Not quite as sticky as the PP but at least I won't go broke on tires and they're apparently more capable than I ride . I found my best deal on them at swmototires.com in the early summer but haven't paid much attention to prices since then.