BikeSafe Course

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
Took my BikeSafe course today from the Ace Cafe. It was really good to go out with a 'professional' rider and have them evaluate my riding. They said I should be able to pass my IAM after a couple of rides. Nice. I might have to try it.

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
I seen a DVD on that from I think it was Fast Bikes magazine, but may have been PB. Looked pretty good. Nice one none the less.

Blackblood

OMG Wheelies!
Reaction score
www.quayvipersmcc.com
I did bikesafe last night :p Failed though because I rode as I was taught and not what the PSNI rider expected.

Still learned a lot though so gonna give it a while using his advice and try again :)

S

sm00thpapa

Is this to get your bike license in the UK as the MSF is in the US?

S

sm00thpapa

Ah I see. Here in the US and in the Military we have 3 courses.

BRC - Basic Riders Course

ERC - Experienced Riders Course

SBRC - Sport Bike Riders Course

I recommend all riders should take all 3 if they get the chance.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good work David, I went to the national bike safe show at Hendon police college last sunday. A good day and I got to play with some other bikes and have a couple of police assessed rides.
The CBF1000 was a nice smooth ride and the R1 was fun but just more bike than I need edpecially with a police rider following me.:D

bledubd

FZ6 Naked Epiphany
Reaction score
Visit site
what was involved in the course?

The bike safe thing is really good. You get a chance to ride with the coppers and not worry about being arrested. things that I took away from my time at the bike safe:

1. the chap said our bikes have a high threshold in gear 1 & 2. I used to move gears up to 3/4. but now I hold steady in mostly gear 2 when in town or congestion/filtering

2. i used to be a slow coach when starting off. I was advised to shoot straight to the speed limit if its safe to do so. so now at the traffic lights i shoot straight to 30mph

3. i was riding too aggressively and using my brakes too often. now i pull back on the throttle.

4. the other thing i took away was about road positioning. Position your self so that the driver in from sees you by not just sticking in one position in the driver's rear view mirror

basically bike safe is about how to survive on the road, and in most cases what you do to survive on the road is not what you did to pass your test (weird)

Soap

Reaction score
Visit site
Well yeh, what you learn on lessons is how to pass a test not to ride appropriately if that makes sense, obviously it teachs you key foundations but you have to be able to adapt to those around you.

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
doing my bikesafe this saturday at Bromley with the met police, really looking forward to it but must admit extemely nervous, I have only been riding 8 months and not sure what to expect. Hope I don't make a complete bottom of myself.

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
doing my bikesafe this saturday at Bromley with the met police, really looking forward to it but must admit extemely nervous, I have only been riding 8 months and not sure what to expect. Hope I don't make a complete bottom of myself.

A touch of nerves is a good thing but you really don't need to worry.
I've been out on 2 bikesafe asssesments now and they are fun.
You need to remember that these guys are bikers who happen to be cops and their overriding aim in bikesafe is to help you to improve your riding and reduce the risks to yourself on the road.
They are not out to get you and they will make you fully aware of the boundaries for your conduct before you go out. Some are more adventurous than others.

I would say that with only 8 months on the road you are pretty much an ideal candidate as in you will have an amount of competence on 2 wheels, but not be to long in the tooth or too cycnidcal to be receptive to new ideas.

Just go there with an open mind and enjoy. :thumbup:

Last edited:

ELIZABETH

Goofball Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Visit site

I took my BRC in Illinois, which has no helmet law. There was a guy in the class that was the typical bad a$$ Mr. Biker Dude (in his own mind), riding illegally for 3 years, no helmet or gear, etc. and when we got fitted with our half helmets and got ready to ride Sat. morning, HE PUT HIS HELMET ON BACKWARDS!! :Im With Stupid: He was standing there totally clueless, and we were all thinking that it couldn't have happened to anyone better. :rof: The instructor kept his composure and took him to the side to explain that the neck roll actually goes on your NECK, and the label with your name on it goes on your forehead. :tard: SO...if you don't put your helmet on backwards, you will DEFINITELY not be making a fool of yourself. I hope you have a great time, and learn a lot. :cheer:

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Don't forget to post back and let us know how you get on :thumbup:

MarkyG57

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Good luck on your BS cse, enjoy and be yourself, BS is all about bridging the gap between your DSA test an Advanced training / observation.

You'll be fine

M:thumbup:

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
Just got in from the bikesafe course with the Metropolitan police and it was a* very worthwhile day. Started in the classroom which was very informal and relaxed. Learnt a lot about filtering in the town that I did not know.2 rideouts 1 in town and one in the country I enjoyed both and is was good to learn to ride smooth and fast with the officer. The hard bit was in the lead looking in my mirrors to see which way to go by the officers indicators. Funny to watch all the car drivers dropping mobile phones on to their laps at the sight of the police bike and pulling out across the traffic in London is much easier when the officer stops the traffic. All the officers were friendly and up for a laugh but still commited to bikes and safety. The day included lunch at Frankie and Bennys before the twisties ride It was well worth the £30 for a day out with the police*

Last edited:

desperate

Reaction score
Visit site
A couple more Pics of of my Fazer rubbing shoulders with BMWs. Highly reccomend this course to anyone as the Police will help all riders what ever their ability.

I think my fazer had a grin as big as mine !!