Need Ideas for Hot Weather Gear

rickvan67

Junior Cheeseburger
Reaction score
Visit site
I need advice on hot weather gear for my upper body. My Technic jacket works great most of the time but it's black textile and not exactly cool when it gets in to the upper 80's and 90's. Any thoughts out there for some type of hot weather protective gear to replace my jacket in the heat of the summer? Sorry if this has been discussed already but I had no luck searching the previous threads.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the FirstGear Mesh jacket and their HT Air Overpants. Both offer moderate protection and the wind blows completely through. I'm an ATGATT rider and these do fine. They have waterproof zipout liners as well. As a matter of fact, I use the pants even in cold weather with the liner. Never got cold on my legs right down to 38 degrees.

Now, nothing stops you from overheating if your at a standstill.

FirstGear HT Air 2.0 Mesh Motorcycle Overpants :: New Enough, LTD

and

I have an older version of this FirstGear FirstGear Mesh-Tex Motorcycle Jacket :: New Enough, LTD

Last edited:

Ghost Weim

Time to ride!!
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I use the FirstGear Mesh jacket and their HT Air Overpants. Both offer moderate protection and the wind blows completely through. I'm an ATGATT rider and these do fine. They have waterproof zipout liners as well. As a matter of fact, I use the pants even in cold weather with the liner. Never got cold on my legs right down to 38 degrees.

Now, nothing stops you from overheating if your at a standstill.

+1 on that.

I have a mesh jacket and mesh panel pants that I wear in hot weather - ATGATT here too. They work great while offering protection.

But - staying cool in this 90 degree heat we are having is a challenge!

Motogiro

Vrrroooooom!
Staff member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I rode over the mountains into the Anza Borrego Desert today. This was via Montezuma Road or Grade. It's a beautiful and fun ride. Normally I wear leather top and bottom but on a day like today it's almost impossible to wear a leather jacket and in fact by the time I got home I was already pretty dehydrated because I didn't stop enough times to drink water. Today I wore my Joe Rocket Yamaha Champion mesh jacket. They come in 3 colors. It also has a double thin type nylon full sleeve liner that is just awesome in cooler weather and zips out for lots of great ventilation. This jacket may seem a little pricey but it's worth every penny I paid for it

Joe Rocket Yamaha Champion Mesh Jacket - Street Bike - Men's Riding Gear - Motorcycle Superstore

Last edited:

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I use a mesh jacket with a hydration pack filled with ice water. It's amazing what a little ice water can do for, it really makes a BIG difference.

Doc

mcteague

Reaction score
Visit site
For Baltimore's hot\humid Summers only mesh will do. I also find that avoiding all black helps avoid the heat sink effect. I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 jacket and Fieldsheer 4 season pants. I still feel basted after a ride many days but this is about the best you can do while maintaining a semblance of protection.

Tim

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
For Baltimore's hot\humid Summers only mesh will do. I also find that avoiding all black helps avoid the heat sink effect. I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix 5 jacket and Fieldsheer 4 season pants. I still feel basted after a ride many days but this is about the best you can do while maintaining a semblance of protection.

Tim
Substitute the Tourmaster Intake jacket, and that's my setup. Unfortunately, until recently, Tall sizes only came in black; both Tourmaster and Firstgear now offer Tall mesh jackets in HiViz/Obnoxious Dayglo, once I save up some extra nickels I intend to purchase one.

I also purchased, from Aerostich, a neckerchief that you soak in water, tie around your neck under your jacket, that's supposed to keep you cool. I somehow misplaced it and never got a chance to use it, and I can't find it on the Aerostich website anymore. :confused: Guess you can do the same with a plain ol' t-shirt...

The Toecutter

Hero for Hire
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
the only advise i can give you is go with white or as close to with what ever gear you do decide on.I have a black helmet for winter and a very light gray helmet for summer.I bought my jacket and pant's in black,and that has turned out to be a mistake.so now im riding in jeans with my boot's and gloves and a t-shirt.and I take it easy and watch my suroundings because road rash suck's!!

Last edited:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i say just wear your leathers and sweat it out! has got to be better than gravel rash, no matter how hot you get.

:thumbup:

616ah

Reaction score
Visit site
I've been looking lately too and here is what I lean towards - Tourmaster flex or Joe rocket alter ego - both are heavy mesh with large removable panels, and both claim to be suitable for wet weather use. :thumbup:

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
You want my adivice? Coming from a rider who rides in triple digit heat over 100 days a year, and at times in the mid to upper triple digit teens like 114-115 degrees?

1. Wear Mesh Gloves, Jacket and pants. Allows the air to blow through the garment when they interact with your sweat, it becomes your only source of air conditioning, even if it's hot air. Also it keeps you from dehydrating quickly by retaining your fluids rather that letting it evaporate into the air and it will prevnt heat stroke or heat exhaustion.

2. Get a Dark Smoke or Mirrored Visor for your helmet vs a clear or light smoke shield. This will prevent your face from getting scorched from the intensity of the sun.

3. Wear a Cooling Vest underneath your mesh jacket. Available onlline or at most places that sell protective gear, like Cycle Gear.

4. Drink plenty of fluids before and after your ride.