Caught a nail at 1500km

motopete

Reaction score
Visit site
I got a nail in my rear tire a D252 at just under 1500k, so my front (also a 252) is still like new. I want to up grade but I know the front should always be stickier, what should I put on my rear that has a similar profile, that is better?

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
personally I'd plug it and ride it if you dn't have road hazard on it. I used to be of the replace - better safe than sorry mentatlity...But I'd have to admit that I wouldn't replace a nearly new tire for 1 small nail hole. Now if that nail is huge or near the sidewall, then I may think twice... Just my $.02...

Oh yeah, I don't know anything about Dunlop tires. I wouldn't put some really good tire on the rear with a cheap one in the front, that is for sure!

Last edited:

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I just finished 3000 miles on a plugged rear stock tire, no issues at all, and no it wasn't all slab riding either.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Fixing the hole from the nail seems like it's the most economical way of doing things, of course alot will debate whether it's worth the risk. Of course others will testify it's completely safe to plug the hole and ride, question is which is better: A plug or a patch and to what extent will you fix the hole and ride on that tyre.
I'd like to hear from others who have done this deed and their experience on it. Is it truly safe enough to ride after a patch or a plug?

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I've got 5000 miles on my plugged tire after picking up a screw before I even wore all the mold release off. I think I may have another hole in the same tire now, and I'm not gambling with two weak spots.

Just remember, the people who have had a patched tire fail may not be around to give their story.

afpreppie04

The Thread Killer
Reaction score
Visit site
That is why I get my tires at Cycle Gear. Run over a nail or anything and have tread left on the tire (I think 50% tread has to be remaining), it gets replaced free. Below that and you get a hefty discount on a replacement tire.

Hollywood416

Reaction score
Visit site
I had a similar thing happen to me got a huge spike in the rear at 1500 miles, replaced it because the nail was huge. 500 miles later got a large staple in the new one....small hole so just plugged it myself rode another 7k miles on that tire w/o issue. Just use good plugs, good contact cement and you shouldn't have an issue.
Now if your just looking for an excuse to replace then I would only mismatch the tires if your not a very aggressive rider and hardly ever ride in the wet. If you do eiter of those I'd stick with the 252 or replace both.