2009 Icon Hooligan Canvas pants

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I just ordered these from the motorcyclesuperstore.com website. I was looking for something in black other than the mesh type typical riding pants for summer riding. Something I can wear to the mall or go out in without looking like that I just came from the track. It was a bargain @ $ 83.00 with free shipping.

What do y'all think ?

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I am looking fwd to reviewing it too. I just don't wanna crash test it ;) ok !

I got to try out the new Hooligan's the other day, They are a great pair of riding pants for around town with the vents. I was riding in the upper 90's about 98 degrees. They felt kinda warm. The ventilation was better than my textile pants. Protection wise they may hold up better than jeans but won't do as well as pants with inner armor. Still for the price it was a good buy.
They look great and have the front zippered pockets that can hold quite a few things and are large. There are two back pockets too.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I've been waering the Icon Hooligan Jeans now for 2+ years and love them. A little lacking in protection and no armour (can wear armour underneith), but for casusal riding I like them. A little more protection than regualr jeans. Icon makes some nice stuff!

icon%20hooligan%20pants%20blue_410x410.jpg

Thanks for the review!

S

sm00thpapa

They look ok but to me they look like they would rip to shreads if you low side with them.

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
They look ok but to me they look like they would rip to shreads if you low side with them.

Pretty much any pant other than race leathers will rip to shreds.

Some interesting stats I found out during my motorcycle instructor training the other week about pants. This was stats from a test done a few years back, just before textile materials were starting to become popular.

They took various pants, filled them with 75Lbs of sand, then gently lowered them onto asphalt at 80Km per hour. Here are the results of how far each made it before they gave way.

Racing Leathers = 85 feet

Designer/Fashson Leathers = 4 feet, 4 inches

Denim Jeans = 3 feet, 8 inches

Pretty eye opening stats!! Textile pants were not included in this test and I'm sure whould hold up a bit better than jeans.

S

sm00thpapa

Pretty much any pant other than race leathers will rip to shreds.

Some interesting stats I found out during my motorcycle instructor training the other week about pants. This was stats from a test done a few years back, just before textile materials were starting to become popular.

They took various pants, filled them with 75Lbs of sand, then gently lowered them onto asphalt at 80Km per hour. Here are the results of how far each made it before they gave way.

Racing Leathers = 85 feet

Designer/Fashson Leathers = 4 feet, 4 inches

Denim Jeans = 3 feet, 8 inches

Pretty eye opening stats!! Textile pants were not included in this test and I'm sure whould hold up a bit better than jeans.

Hey Boneman good post. What can you tell me about the material Cordura? My MSF instructor recommended it and I went out and got a Cordura jacket with safety plates. Just from the feel it feels really rough. I was wondering how it would perform on a test like this or has anyone ever low sided with this type of material on. I am looking for pants at this time and clueless on what brand or material to get.

Last edited by a moderator:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Unfortunately this test was done before/without textile testing.

Might want to Google search for any new testing data. My only experience with Cordura is with tactical grear made with it (LBVs, mag pouches, etc.). It's tough stuff and held up well.

My friend low sided in textile pants at low sepped and came thought not too bad. It wore at the knee where the knee armour was, but he still wears them.

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
I got to try out the new Hooligan's the other day, They are a great pair of riding pants for around town with the vents. I was riding in the upper 90's about 98 degrees. They felt kinda warm. The ventilation was better than my textile pants. Protection wise they may hold up better than jeans but won't do as well as pants with inner armor. Still for the price it was a good buy.
They look great and have the front zippered pockets that can hold quite a few things and are large. There are two back pockets too.

Adding to the previous review:

Rode out early this morning it was cooler in the upper 70's and they were as cool as can be.Infact I was able to feel the mesh vents do their job as well. And again, I don't wan't to crash test these or any other for that matter:thumbup:

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
Early morning ride. Note: Tested the ' Icon Hooligan riding pants with mesh vent's 'Temp in the upper 70's approx 78 degrees F. They were keeping me pretty cool and the air flow was good. Nice comfy fit and lots of pocket room for storing cellphone and other stuff.Two front zipper pockets and two rear. Just like jeans but with added protection.