Buy in @ the Busted Knuckle Garage?

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Wolfman got me thinking... what if we pitched in and bought some specialty tools to share? I'm willing to host them but they can travel amongst the group of buyers as well if that's how we do it.

I'm thinking about this unit for changing tires. It's got No-Mar parts for it and this kit comes with it all including the balancer. Also, free shipping at the moment.

</title> <meta name="robots" content="index,follow"> <meta name="GOOGLEBOT" content="INDEX, FOLLOW"> <script type="text/javascript" src="/a/j/javascripts.js"></script> <meta http-equiv="content-type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1"> <meta nam

At $555.00, If I can get 4 people in on this, it would pay for itself for each person after 5 individual tire changes based on $30 per tire changed at a shop. That's 2.5 sets of tires per bike!

Any takers for $138.75? Add a fifth person and the price is $111 each. A 6th person and we are at $92.50 each? That is 3 individual tire changes at the shop. Not a bad price for ALL the tire changes you want to do going forward!

Also the Sync Pro Carb Tuner listed here has the 5 and 6mm kits so almost any bike can be sync'd with it. Sync PRO Carb Tuner and 6mm Adapters

I will likely be buying this stuff over the next year anyway. If you'd like to pay a smaller fee to me to work on it rather than picth toward the stuff, that is OK too. I wouldn't be out to rape people like a shop, just ask for any reasonable donation to defray the costs of the equipment. (Sam Adams also accepted as payment!)

Thoughts? Reservations? Concerns? Takers? Let me hear your ideas and constructive criticism.

Thanks! :rockon:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
That's a cool plan. I was becoming extremely jealous of the folks down under when Wolfman posted about his ideas. This is a definitely a thought in the right direction and definitely worth for someone who runs through his/her tires quickly. I don't do long distance rides, and my mileage is mostly to and fro from work.

What else are you thinking about adding to this? I just might hop on the I-90 one of these days and make that 8 hr trip to NH :eek:

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's a cool plan. I was becoming extremely jealous of the folks down under when Wolfman posted about his ideas. This is a definitely a thought in the right direction and definitely worth for someone who runs through his/her tires quickly. I don't do long distance rides, and my mileage is mostly to and fro from work.

What else are you thinking about adding to this? I just might hop on the I-90 one of these days and make that 8 hr trip to NH :eek:

And we'd be more than happy to have ya! :D

Unsure about what to add... I was actually considering it as a side business but where I live is not zoned for it and with my nosey neighbors, I'd get busted. So, the best way is to have weekend BBQ's and share! :D

What else should be added? I could to a lift table but I already have the hoist which holds any of the sportbikes and a V Star that I've put on it. I have a decent selection of tools but can always add a few more.

Two things I am considering is a large two-stage air compressor and a mig/wire/tig welder. Some practice with that to hone skills of old and that would be worth having people over for various reasons.

What else can you all think of that would enhance the Busted Knuckle Garage? Keep it coming!

oldfast007

Thread Killer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Shop manuals(fz6 6r fz1 etc maybe even a sv) to start, not that it's a big thing but wouldn't hurt to start.
I'm sure we can brainstorm more on Saturday, great idea Eric !!!

keira

Mrs. Reiobard
Reaction score
Visit site
between me and rob we usually do three sets of tires every two years.....i'm sure this could be a topic for discussion over dinner tonight

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks Keira! Like I said, I'll be getting this stuff eventually... Down the road, if someone doesn't want "in" any longer, I can always buy back their share as well.

It's just a lot for one guy to buy and hope others will come donate and use it. If you do not buy in, you can ALWAYS still come use it and work on your bike, etc... I'd only ask that for the benefit of others, you make a contribution to replace expendables and help buy more stuff.

I guess I should start with what I have available.
  1. Most of the metric tools, wrenches, sockets, multiple sets of Allens.
  2. Pressure washer for cleaning.
  3. Workbench
  4. small vise (need to mount to bench tonight)
  5. Drill press
  6. hack saws and duct tape (important!)
  7. Soldering irons
  8. cordless and corded drills
  9. Hoist :D
  10. small air compressor (hope for larger at my expense)

Items I would like to see in the shop.
  1. Large compressor
  2. air lines with multiple outlets and hoses
  3. tire changer
  4. balancer
  5. more air tools
  6. welder (mig/tig/flux wire)
  7. parts cleaner (old stainless restaurant sink!)
  8. large fridge for beverages!
  9. table lift and/or floor jack
  10. front (steering stem and fork attachments) and rear paddock stands
  11. Sync Pro Carb tool
  12. plastic welder (dreaming here)
  13. Chain breaker (Thanks Rob!)

Looking for thoughts and ideas on what I am not thinking of that would be handy for people to come and use.

Also, willing to assign keys to Buy-in members so people can work on their bikes when I am not there... but we need some type of contract releasing me from liability in the event of injury. (I know not much holds up in court for contractual stuff like this so it's more of a written honor agreement) I'd only ask that we are notified of intended visits ahead of time.

Any money charged to "outsiders" would be pool money to put back into stuff like wheel weights, valve stems, rim cleaner, gas and wire for the welder, blades and bits for various tools, oil and filters for stock, or a big bash for the Busted Knuckle Group! :thumbup:

Last edited:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Whoa! With all that stuff in your garage, might as well change the name to Busted Knuckle Group unAuthorized Yamaha Service Center
:thumbup:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i think that this is a GREAT idea, i am down with splitting some tools, but it might have to wait a bit for me, i am spending a lot on bikes and cars lately.

I might be able to "Donate" some things to your garage. I let my brother borrow my college fridge which is about waist high and works great, he isn;t using it anymore and i can get it back and you can have it as your beverage fridge. anything else I use fairly regularly, so i can travel with a lot of my tools if need be :)

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
sweet, can we get vests ;) hehe

Michele will have to get the embroidery machine going... time for a logo! (Wait till you see the sign. :D )

Rob, the fridge is a great plan! If you can pull that off, that would be great! I have to sweet talk the boss into some purchases now. I'm in the same boat, great idea with bad timing after just remodeling the living room, taking a vacation in TN and trading in two bikes. Ooof! :D

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Michele will have to get the embroidery machine going... time for a logo! (Wait till you see the sign. :D )

Rob, the fridge is a great plan! If you can pull that off, that would be great! I have to sweet talk the boss into some purchases now. I'm in the same boat, great idea with bad timing after just remodeling the living room, taking a vacation in TN and trading in two bikes. Ooof! :D

It won't be this weekend, but i will get the fridge back out of my brother's basement and get it over there eventually! :)

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
It won't be this weekend, but i will get the fridge back out of my brother's basement and get it over there eventually! :)

Maybe we can do it on the 3rd if I come out and we send the ladies out on tour. Where does your brother live?

I'm going to work on getting some of the tools I've listed as a want. Whatever I buy will be available!

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hey Eric, don't forget the Poker table, for the relaxing after all the work ;)

Looks like it's gunna be a great set-up. Good luck.

:rockon:

Shhhhhhhhh! The poker table and pool table are behind the hidden door in the secret room! :D

We'll see how it all comes together.

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Maybe we can do it on the 3rd if I come out and we send the ladies out on tour. Where does your brother live?

I'm going to work on getting some of the tools I've listed as a want. Whatever I buy will be available!

Brother Lives in Nashua, but i can get the fridge from there any day since i work on the Merrimack/Nashua border. but it would be a terrible mess if i tried to put it on the bike and i do not think it will fit in the accord with Keira and Cadence... Damn 2 door cars....

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
do you have a chain breaker/Rivet tool? if not that that is almost a definate!

and also not sure why i thought about it at 5:30am...I think i need help...

FZ1inNH

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
do you have a chain breaker/Rivet tool? if not that that is almost a definate!

and also not sure why i thought about it at 5:30am...I think i need help...

A man with a focus on his hobby. Nice! Excellent suggestion and nope, I have yet to aquire one. Thanks! Added to the list!