How to Aim HID Headlights

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
I've been scowering the Internet for instructions on how to aim HID headlights after my recent HID Projector conversion. Here are what I've found to be the most consistant method.

TO AIM HID PROJECTOR HEADLIGHTS:

1. Align your car dead center in your driveway....the front and back of your car need to be perfectly aligned in the center..

2. Pull your car up to the garage door...as close as you can get w/o hitting the door..dead center in the middle of the garage door / driveway.

3. Put a piece of tape where the headlight beams hit the garage door. This should only be smal dot of light...

4. Pull you car back 25'. Your Projector lens should be 25' away from the garage door...not your tires or your bumper...your headlights. DEAD CENTER IN THE DRIVEWAY

5. With tape Place a VERTICAL line that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. Use a yardstick or a straight edge t make it perpendicular to the driveway. This is important for aiming your lights right to left....this is just as important as up and down because if your lights are aimed to far left you will still be shining omcoming traffic in the eyes and if they are aimed too far right your not getting the most out of your light.

6. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that intersects each piece of tape that you put on the garage where your headlight beams hit. They should oth be the same height off the driveway.

7. With tape place a horizontal line along the garage that is 2.1" lower than the tape you placed on the garage in instruction #6. This line should be parallel with the line in #6...just 2.1" lower.

8. Cover up the passenger side headlight with a thick towel.

9. Turn on your lights

10. Drivers Side UP/Down: Bring the lower step of the cutoff to or below the tape line that is 2.1" lower than your headlights...Dot Spec is 2.1" to 2.5" drop over 25'

11. Drivers Side Right / Left: The Vertical line on the drivers side of the garage should intersect the middle of the slant on the cutoff. Move the beam pattern until this is the case.

Moving the projectors from right to left may effect the height of the beam pattern. If this is the case..just go back and fine tune.

12. Cover the Drivers side headlight with a thick towel.

13. Repeat the UP/Down Left/Right procedure that you did on the drivers side with the passenger side. The vertical line on the passenger side of the garage is to be used for instersecting the slant in the cutoff on the passenger side headlight beam.

ProjectorAiming.jpg

I also found this PDF document basically outlining the same thing with a few more illustrations.

http://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf

B

bugmenot2

Yeah. there is probably some mathematic formula you can use and plot in the different factors, but I don't know.

It would be an interesting experiment though... Are you going to start a journal?
http://www.centplay.com/affiliate/id_366/

Last edited by a moderator:

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Unfortunately, Boneman no longer has his FZ6 after an accident last season. He still comes around here, though, and we're all thankful for that!

hk_fz6_05

Reaction score
Visit site
ok this may be a really obvious question, but here goes:

which of the bolts are for aiming? seem to recall the bi-xenon sticky thread mentioning that only two of them are for aiming, but I can't seem to find it in the 50+ pages there.

I'm on an 05 and I have two 10mm bolts and one with a philips head (for each reflector) and all three look like they could be used for aiming?

thanks