Brush Guards?

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anybody put brush guards on the FZ6? I'm contemplating doing it as a means of keeping the wind off of my hands. Thought I would check to see if anyone has done it already and if so what they though about it. I'm worried it will ruin the look of the bike. Thoughts? Comments? Statements of stupidity?

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anybody put brush guards on the FZ6? I'm contemplating doing it as a means of keeping the wind off of my hands. Thought I would check to see if anyone has done it already and if so what they though about it. I'm worried it will ruin the look of the bike. Thoughts? Comments? Statements of stupidity?

At the moment I reacon it would ruin the look, but in a couple of months time it would probably look sweet ;)

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Since the FZ6 is not a dirt/off road bike and should not be encountering any '"brush", I suspect that they would look very "out of place" ....to put it nicely. Would look as stupid and make about as much sense as the brush guards you see on brand new BMW SUV's.

If wind is that big a concern for ya, I would either invest in some better gloves and/or heated grips.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Oh Why mate, buy thicker gloves lol.

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd really rather not buy thicker gloves. I'm using Alpinestars Drystars right now and they are about as bulky of a glove as I'm willing to go. They just don't do a good enough job down around freezing. I was hoping not to have to do any major electrical work and thinking I could get away cheap by just putting something up there to block the wind. I'll let you guys know whichever way I go with it.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I've seen it done and it looked ok. They were reported to have blocked the wind well too.

Went and searched for some links but couldn't find them...
________
Asian Cams

Last edited:
B

Bo67

I asked about this in my heated hangrips thread from a couple months ago. Can't remember who replied but from their thoughts it dobale ala Ducati, Suzuki Versys. Seemed like a hassle so went with heated handgrips instead. Better than nothing but the tops of my hands still get cold.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My heated gloves were good for temps in the teens even at highway speeds...but they were thick and kinda bulky which the OP does not want. Heated grips are ok but can only do so much by themselves.
________
LIVE SEX

Last edited:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
Went and searched for some links but couldn't find them...

Yeah, they are kind of hard to find. We have a couple dirt bike shops here in town and I might check them out later this week to see what they have to offer.

Have you thought of muffs;)

No, hadn't heard of them before. How do they work? Does it cover the whole handlebar?

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
No, hadn't heard of them before. How do they work? Does it cover the whole handlebar?

Bit like oven mits.

d_273.jpg

Some look better than others.

MOTORCYCLE SCOOTER HANDLEBAR FLEECE LINED MUFFS - (eBay item 300168582143 end time Nov-14-07 12:57:47 PST)

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
my mods: Uncaged Cycle frame sliders, Acerbis MX Uniko handguards, California Scientific 8" windshield, Givi E370 topcase (with brakelight), Givi FZ351 toprack.
I originally purchased Antifreeze liner gloves instead of the handguards but found
it too snug for my hands with my gaunlet and difficult to use the controls. I am contemplating in switching out the Acerbis handguards for the PowerMadd version for better wind protection. I choose black colored guards because it blends well with the blue FZ6, just my $0.02. http://www.600riders.com/forum/images/smilies/sport12.gif
:Sport:

shaggystyle

Hummingbird slayer.
Reaction score
Visit site
So how do you like the ones you have now? do they make much of a difference? It really doesn't look bad at all. How did you mount them? Are they just flag guards or do they have aluminum bars to mount on?

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
Depends on the weather you ride in. I have them on a V-Strom and they look ok on that bike. They do protect from wind but am not sure if in general cold climate they will keep you warm while riding with only thin/mesh gloves.
Havent got them on the FZ. In CA dont really need them. I got some Kevlar gloves with lining - a liitle bulky but not too bad once you get used to them. Other gloves I have are mesh kind. I used them in summer for a month or so but now in winter even in souther CA they do get you cold, especially late evening/early morning.
I saw sonme pictures earlier on the thread and they looked ok. I am not a fan of big lettering on them though.
Good luck.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
So how do you like the ones you have now? do they make much of a difference? It really doesn't look bad at all. How did you mount them? Are they just flag guards or do they have aluminum bars to mount on?

The Acerbis hanguards does a decent job at keeping my hands from completely freezing, what can i say... when it's freaking cold, it's cold. Maybe it's just my imagination but my right hand tends to be colder than the left although both guards looks level and even at height. No aluminum bars that wraps around, it uses clasp that screws unto the handlebar. I needed to move the controls inward just to make room for the clasp. I am seriously considering the PoweMadd handguards and will return the Acerbis. PowerMadd has the wrap around bars and extension for more wind protection. I will get it in black of course so it looks discreet and if there are any bright letterings...well i still have spray can of matte black that will take care of that.http://www.600riders.com/forum/images/smilies/sport12.gif
:Sport: