Headlight Alignment UK vs Europe

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Ive not actually checked the headlight alignment yet but im assuming in the the UK it points slightly to the left to avoid dazzling oncoming drivers.

Do they do the same thing in europe? i.e. should i adjust it to point to the right for when i go on hol or should i set it up for straight ahead to cover both countries?

Cheers, Dave

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
They have them pointing off slightly to the right in Europe. You will be unable to adjust your lights to point that way. I've not taken a bike around Europe yet, but have driven cars - for which you can buy covers which stop you dazzling oncoming cars/bikes. Unsure whether they are available for bikes though.

This might help

Motorcycle FAQ: Riding in a "Unified" Europe

Andz

Phantom Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Okay while we're nitpicking... :)

Europe is not a country, it is a continent.

The headlight units are physically diferent for right and left hand drive markets, when I took my fairing apart recently it says UK on the back of the housing.

GastonJ

The Winged One
Reaction score
Visit site
I was replying to DaveK, who happens to be in Scotland, which is also part of Britain, the British Isles, the United Kingdom, and for that matter Europe. However I beleive his question was related to driving in Europe, which just like America seems to drive on the wrong side of the road :Flip:

TBH I wonder how much the cost of having to have lights made for such countries adds to the cost of a bike, or car for that matter. Anyway that's off topic :D

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I posted a similar post years ago, and got no real answers.

This is also a similar thread

I've been looking around the internet and have read the [ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/AA-Headlight-Converters-Driving-Europe/dp/B001R1IKH6"]headlight deflectors[/ame] only work on flat headlights. As SteveinDenmark wrote many people stick black tape over the part of the headlight that directs the beam to the other side. I don't know if there is enough movement to adjust the FZ6 beam enough that it won't blind drivers on the continent.

On a personal note I rode my bike in UK without any stickers on the lights, as I figure there are so many foreign tourists who don't do it (I occasionally see a couple of cars on the ferries that mask their headlights or use defractors, but the vast majority don't.). :spank:

DaveK

Reaction score
Visit site
Im just gonna leave it as it is. Im taking insulating tape with me so if i get flashed all the time ill just stick tape over a bit of the glass

cheers folks

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Im just gonna leave it as it is. Im taking insulating tape with me so if i get flashed all the time ill just stick tape over a bit of the glass

cheers folks

Have a great trip, don't forget to ride on the right (not the wrong ;)) side, looking forward to the pics :thumbup: