Quest for perfect helmet!

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I know, this theme is beaten to death with no real results many times.

Here is how I see it. All helmets are DOT and SNELL approved so that takes care about safety factor (USA, Canada). So what is there remained and is so important? Here is my priority list and I will explain later:

1. Quietest helmet possible (Schuberth)
2. Active visor (Akuma) or at least built in sun visor (many helmets)
3. Chin mini spoiler (Arai)
4. Built-in intercom, music and phone support, Bluetooth does it all (Element)

So perfect helmet should be combination of all of the above.

Reasoning:
1. All helmets looks nice, attractive colors, adjustable vents, good straps, replaceable visors. For every decent helmet you can buy replaceable cheek pads to get good fit. Last comfort factor remained is really, really important one. How quiet or loud helmet is!? While riding faster that 40-50 miles (70-90 km/h) I can't hear engine any more. It is just unbearable whoosh around my ears, no matter how I position head. Horrible. To add more I learned that prolonged exposure to that noise also affects persons hearing, permanently.
I am sure not alone prioritizing over that problem. My son just came home after almost whole day of riding with friends. First thing he said after parking the bike was:" I have to find some better helmet, this noise is killing me..."
He has Scorpion 400 and I have Scorpion 700. I don't think those helmets are any better or worse in noise department than the other ones. It must be something better out there. So far by reading reviews Schubert helmet tends to be quietest helmet there is. At this moment nobody is importing it to USA (it is made in Germany). If they can do it why others can't?

2. During day driving I need either tinted visor or clear visor + sunglasses. At evening you actually want to replace the visor or take off the sunglasses. Sunglasses also get squeezed by helmet and hurt ears. Perfect solution actually exists. I saw Akuma helmet active visor tests. At flick at the switch you get either dark or clear visor. There is also visor that change tint factor by itself, no power needed. Last I heard about that is that they pulled them from stores because they didn't perform well. I am, not aware if electrically activated visor is being sold. It sure does sound like wonderful idea. It's instant! Flick the switch and built-in LCD turns it dark. Flick it again and it's clear. Battery powered.
Going back to what is on the shelf today, helmet with retractible sun visor pulled down by small lever can be purchased easily.

3. At bit higher speeds wind blows on my chin and neck. At really high speeds wind wants to lift up the helmet. Anyway, it is bothersome. Some Arai helmets have small retractible spoilers that can be pulled down to prevent that. Didn't try it myself but sounds like cure. I don't know why all or many helmets don't have something like that?

4. That is a really cool and useful feature. Listen the music, answer a phone and talk to your riding buddy on the same or near by motorcycle. It is all built into the helmet together with batteries and handy switches.
Element helmets have that and surprisingly enough it is not overly expensive (about 300 bucks). I would gladly pay for helmet like that.
However there is a small problem. While reading about it, in reviews some riders reported that helmet itself is very noisy, even at low speeds (!?). Even that Bluetooth works perfectly that kind of snag kills the purpose of the whole thing.

That's it. Enough from me, now I would like to hear from you. If somebody can name helmet that fits description I am buying it ... now.

Last edited:

Fz6Sa

SS1000 Veteran
Elite Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
www.youtube.com
I know, this theme is beaten to death with no real results many times.

Here is how I see it. All helmets are DOT and SNELL approved so that takes care about safety factor (USA, Canada). So what is there remained and is so important? Here is my priority list and I will explain later:

1. Quietest helmet possible (Schuberth)
2. Active visor (Akuma) or at least built in sun visor (many helmets)
4. Built-in intercom, music and phone support, Bluetooth does it all (Element)

So perfect helmet should be combination of all of the above.

Reasoning:
1. All helmets looks nice, attractive colors, adjustable vents, good straps, replaceable visors. For every decent helmet you can buy replaceable cheek pads to get good fit. Last comfort factor remained is really, really important one. How quiet or loud helmet is!? While riding faster that 40-50 miles (70-90 km/h) I can't hear engine any more. It is just unbearable whoosh around my ears, no matter how I position head. Horrible. To add more I learned that prolonged exposure to that noise also affects persons hearing, permanently.
I am sure not alone prioritizing over that problem. My son just came home after almost whole day of riding with friends. First thing he said after parking the bike was:" I have to find some better helmet, this noise is killing me..."
He has Scorpion 400 and I have Scorpion 700. I don't think those helmets are any better or worse in noise department than the other ones. It must be something better out there. So far by reading reviews Schubert helmet tends to be quietest helmet there is. At this moment nobody is importing it to USA (it is made in Germany). If they can do it why others can't?

2. During day driving I need either tinted visor or clear visor + sunglasses. At evening you actually want to replace the visor or take off the sunglasses. Sunglasses also get squeezed by helmet and hurt ears. Perfect solution actually exists. I saw Akuma helmet active visor tests. At flick at the switch you get either dark or clear visor. There is also visor that change tint factor by itself, no power needed. Last I heard about that is that they pulled them from stores because they didn't perform well. I am, not aware if electrically activated visor is being sold. It sure does sound like wonderful idea. It's instant! Flick the switch and built-in LCD turns it dark. Flick it again and it's clear. Battery powered.
Going back to what is on the shelf today, helmet with retractible sun visor pulled down by small lever can be purchased easily.

3. At bit higher speeds wind blows on my chin and neck. At really high speeds wind wants to lift up the helmet. Anyway, it is bothersome. Some Arai helmets have small retractible spoilers that can be pulled down to prevent that. Didn't try it myself but sounds like cure. I don't know why all or many helmets don't have something like that?

4. That is a really cool and useful feature. Listen the music, answer a phone and talk to your riding biddy on the same or near by motorcycle. It is all built into the helmet together with batteries and handy switches.
Element helmets have that and surprisingly enough it is not overly expensive (about 300 bucks). I would gladly pay for helmet like that.
However there is a small problem. While reading about it, in reviews some riders reported that helmet itself is very noisy, even at low speeds (!?). Even that Bluetooth works perfectly that kind of snag kills the purpose of the whole thing.

That's it. Enough from me, now I would like to hear from you. If somebody can name helmet that fits description I am buying it ... now.

1.) I use the Schubert helmets, I it's the best helmets I have ever used!

I use a R1 and a S1, - the R1 for solo use, and the S1 when I have a passenger on the bike.

Main reason for having both (besides my helmet fetish :)), is that I prefer the R1's aerodynamics, comfort and weight, - but I also love the quietness of the S1, which comes in real handy when I use intercom to talk to my passenger.

2.) Both helmets have a build in sun visor, - that can be activated and deactivated via a nub on the outside of the helmet, easily operated even with my thickest winter gloves on.

3.) Both the R1 and the S1 are shaped so they don't "Do take-off" at speeds,- the R1 even has a shape that at more than 50mph provides just enough lift to even out it's own weight,- but not more than that.

4.) When it comes to the intercom, - there are so many third party solutions available that would fit ANY helmet on the market, so I would not select my helmet from what intercom they offer, - you can easily add you own afterwards.

If needed, I could easily arrange the shipping of Schubert from EU to the US, - so if that's the only thing stopping you, - that can be sorted :)

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
So you think that Schuberth is the one! Perfect helmet.
Lucky you that there is a Schubert store close by. I actually found some on sale from dealer in California but in small size only.
I'll look into ordering one from Europe.

dako81

FZ Rider
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you're not using an intercom or something, I'd really recommend some good earplugs no matter what helmet. They cut down on noise a TON! They also still allow you to hear important sounds if you get some decent ones.

SNOW JW

Reaction score
Visit site
TTT this thread is great is there any more options if so please list going to look at some in town tomarrow.

Zack

Reaction score
Visit site
I think that only actual users with really honest opinions can help the most! If they want to get involved and write few words here. Something like FZ6Sa wrote.
Some people here have more than several helmets and in that case it is much easier to produce educated opinion. I have only one and didn't have a chance to try others so I couldn't tell. All I can say about my helmet is that it's no good and I need much better.

niben001

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Scorpion EXO 1000 about a month ago and haven't had a better helmet! :rockon:
Quiet..check
Vented...Check
Comfort...Check
No fog...Check (I tryed and it won't have it!)
Wind...check (on our bikes aero matters for the helmet and this one does great all the way up to 100mph +)
Price...Check ($260)

knightrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I really like my Shoei RF-1000. It doesn't have a chin spoiler, sun visor or bluetooth. But I really like the fit, quietness, and look. I can wear headphones or earplugs with it. And swapping out the dark smoke for clear visor isn't that bad. It's pretty simple but very nice, a no-nonsense helmet.

That Element helmet is really cool though. Just told my friend about that one recently as he's a gadget guy. If he gets it I'll find out what he thinks about it in comparison to his Scorpion helmet.

My MSF instructor was a big fan of the Nolan brand, they look pretty nice too.

Doorag

Reaction score
www.4dbrown.com
The single most important thing in a helmet is FIT. If it doesn't fit your head correctly it's useless. The helmets you have listed all have different shell shapes and some won't fit your head. It's VERY important to try on helmets before buying and wear them at least 20-30 minutes in the shop to see how they feel after a while. Any good bike shop won't mind you hanging out with a helmet on.

Good luck!

JohnP

3rd Photo Contest Winner
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The single most important thing in a helmet is FIT. If it doesn't fit your head correctly it's useless. The helmets you have listed all have different shell shapes and some won't fit your head. It's VERY important to try on helmets before buying and wear them at least 20-30 minutes in the shop to see how they feel after a while. Any good bike shop won't mind you hanging out with a helmet on.

Good luck!

Ditto what Doorag said.

I bought my first helmet at a really good store that specializes in good quality riding gear. They worked with me for well over an hour to find a helmet the both fit correctly (much more snug than I would have expected) AND was comfortable.

John

scottsst

Reaction score
Visit site
If you're not using an intercom or something, I'd really recommend some good earplugs no matter what helmet. They cut down on noise a TON! They also still allow you to hear important sounds if you get some decent ones.

I have always worn Earpulgs I don't use an intercom if I want to talk to someone I'm riding with I pull over a talk to them ! I don't think intercoms are a good idea to begin with they can cause distraction and when you are on motorcycle that the one thing you don't need

delafz6

Reaction score
Visit site
I bought a Scorpion EXO 1000 about a month ago and haven't had a better helmet! :rockon:
Quiet..check
Vented...Check
Comfort...Check
No fog...Check (I tryed and it won't have it!)
Wind...check (on our bikes aero matters for the helmet and this one does great all the way up to 100mph +)
Price...Check ($260)

I have fog issues with mine, honestly, because it seals so well. but only when stopped ;)

Kriswithak

Reaction score
Visit site

Good luck!

This is the best advice you'll get. There also IS differences in safety levels between helmets, however they are all above the minimum requirements that law have set. Certainly not huge by any means, but the difference is there.

I started with a HJC Pheonix, was a good starter helmet with a limit lifespan, the insides started to deteoriate and not hold their shape, and there was ALOT of wind noise. Over 4 years I had no issue with visor scratches, and only at the end did the lining really become an issue.
I replaced it with a Shoei XR1000 (last years model so I got about 35% off)
First Shoei helmets are quite a bit smaller than anything else I tried, they aren't as deep. It felt a bit strange at first.
The airflow is great, and while fogging is a small issue in really cold weather I've always used aftermarket products to help prevent it anyway.
A pair of sunglasses fit underneath perfectly - sporting sunglasses though so they are tough and provide proper peripheral vision. It might take a few rides for them to become totally comfortable, but good helmets generally provide some leeway in that area for sunglasses. Its also important you are wearing the right sunglasses though. I'm not going to go into it, but there are many that simply should not be worn while riding for many many reasons, a little thought can easily pick out what will and won't work.
It was also the BEST fit of any helmet in the shop, it is extremely snug in all the right places, they encouraged me to wear it for 15 minutes to make sure it didn't become an issue.

Pretty much any helmet can be used with the new coms systems, not to mention with a mp3 or mobile phone.
Your other gear will often have as much effect on the air into the helmet as the helmet itself.

If your having this then your helmet isn't fitted properly, it should be snug enough that you might feel this a little but not be worried by it unless your doing something in the area of 200km/h. At this point its more noticeable, but still shouldn't be a worry.

I think its important to keep in mind safety not cool features. The cheap helmets with all the mods and cons often aren't that great because money has been spent adding those to make the item marketable, rather than the best product.
If your getting a helmet shipped (which I personally would never do) you want to be really careful, improperly packaged and it gets dropped and you have a helmet which may not be safe. Also some insurance companies get helmets checked, and if they find your helmet was dropped previously to an accident, they can void your claim.
You also need to find a local shop and get one fitted perfectly, then tell them your going to think about it, THEN buy the exact size that fitted online.

In the end its up to you, I tend to vear towards Shoei or Arai because every time they are brought up its generally someone whoes life has been saved by one (at least in their opinion) and that means alot to me.

Denver_FZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
The single most important thing in a helmet is FIT. If it doesn't fit your head correctly it's useless.

Can't stress this enough! Even if I found a quiet helmet (doesn't exist) with all those features, I'd still pass on it if the fit isn't right.

I have always worn Earpulgs I don't use an intercom if I want to talk to someone I'm riding with I pull over a talk to them!

I would like to get an intercom to at least talk with passenger, but every serious helmet review I've seen mentions earplugs should be worn with all helments. Even the "quiet" helmets are noisy at highway speed, heh.

All helmets are DOT and SNELL approved so that takes care about safety factor (USA, Canada).

Not all helmets are Snell certified, so if that means something to you, don't make a mistake of assuming they are.

I have an Arai with chin spoiler. It doesn't make any difference and I wouldn't make a purchase decision because of it.