My Pillot Powers coming to an end

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
:( Just noticed today that I have a nail in the center of my rear tire. I'm not going to pull it out, since it's my only ride. Just going to have to nurse it until I can get a new set replaced ASAP!

Too bad, I was hoping to get over 16,000 miles out of it. I still might, I currently have 15,700 miles on them, and I haven't even reached the wear indicators yet.

I'm planning to replace my chain and both sprockets too. Does anyone know if they sell them as a kit? Hopefully Cycle Gear will, save me 30%.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
:( Just noticed today that I have a nail in the center of my rear tire. I'm not going to pull it out, since it's my only ride. Just going to have to nurse it until I can get a new set replaced ASAP!

Too bad, I was hoping to get over 16,000 miles out of it. I still might, I currently have 15,700 miles on them, and I haven't even reached the wear indicators yet.

I'm planning to replace my chain and both sprockets too. Does anyone know if they sell them as a kit? Hopefully Cycle Gear will, save me 30%.

15k outa the rear also???? My dad got 8k outa his on a 07 triumph tiger 1050.

My recomendation is compacc.com great prices there on a new set

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That's an incredible number of miles, VR! I got 10K on my original Bridgestones, have about 6K on my Pilot Powers but the rear is getting pretty squared over, will probably be replacing it soon.

Dang nails! :mad:

Chaosratt

Reaction score
www.computing.zone
16,000 miles? Hot damn, and I though 11,000 out of my front tire was pushing it...

You should be alright as long as you dont do anything stressful(to the tire) and check the pressure about ever 90 seconds untill you get new rubber!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yeah, I got over 13,000 miles out of my stock Dunlop and could have gotten more out of it, but they began to square off.

I currently have less tread on my tire than when I got rid of the stock tires, but they are still well rounded. No squaring.

Just to clarify things, I have the 2Ct's on the rear, regular PP on the front.

Damnitsjeff

Yumma Dum Dum
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang man I got 13k out of the road 2ct on the rear and 7k out of powers 2ct on the front. Are you putting that thing on the center stand and putting it in 3rd gear and letting her run? Joking but wow those are some numbers.........

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello, there.
I wonder how did you get those mileage on the tires?
I can't imagine with my riding, seriously.
Share us your secret... ha ha ha

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Dang man I got 13k out of the road 2ct on the rear and 7k out of powers 2ct on the front. Are you putting that thing on the center stand and putting it in 3rd gear and letting her run? Joking but wow those are some numbers.........

Hello, there.
I can't imagine with my riding, seriously.

i only could manage 4500km's out of a pilot power 2ct on the rear....how do people get these type of k's out of a tyre? best i have done, is about 9000km's out of a pilot road 2ct at the rear, and about the same from the front, with a pilot road 2ct.

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I still don't see how this is possible.

Maybe the heat in Vegas has something to do with it? Lots of heat cycles early on making the tires hard? In any event, a pair of PP w/ 16,000 MILES on them can't offer much grip. Of course, I'd have said you could never get to 16 in the first place....

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my theory on tire usage based on nothing but my own observations. 200 miles in one continuous trip is a LOT more wearing on the tires than 2 x 20 mile coummutes for two weeks. The tires wear the most when they are warm/hot. Many commuters are just not getting the wear on their tires because they never get that hot.

My observations are based on the 2000 miles I put on my tires in 6 days to and from and during the gap meet versus the previous 7,000 I had put on in the previous 8 months. Just commuting my 35 miles a day I could probably get 20,000 miles out of my tires.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site

Have you ever driven in Vegas? Light turns green, pedestrians still crossing the street, light turns yellow, guy in front of you gets thru, to sit in the standstill traffic on the next block... ;)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Here is my theory on tire usage based on nothing but my own observations. 200 miles in one continuous trip is a LOT more wearing on the tires than 2 x 20 mile coummutes for two weeks. The tires wear the most when they are warm/hot. Many commuters are just not getting the wear on their tires because they never get that hot.

My observations are based on the 2000 miles I put on my tires in 6 days to and from and during the gap meet versus the previous 7,000 I had put on in the previous 8 months. Just commuting my 35 miles a day I could probably get 20,000 miles out of my tires.

Then how do you explain when my tires run on the hot asphault during the summer months. Temp gets up to 115 degrees outside.

I weigh around 160 lbs, keep my rear tire pressure around 40 psi.

Last edited:

BusyWeb

Reaction score
Visit site
And you got some thread left on your tire?????
Just amaizing...
Let us make sure that it's MILEAGE not KILOMETER!!!!

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
And you got some thread left on your tire?????
Just amaizing...
Let us make sure that it's MILEAGE not KILOMETER!!!!

I live in Vegas man, it's miles.

Anyways, I got 13,345 miles on my stock Dunlops before they started to square off. I almost have 29,000 miles on my bike now, but these tires arent really squaring off like the Dunlops did.