Hello all... thinking of getting an FZ6

gsus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have about 300 miles of riding experience with my current bike (83 Honda Shadow). Long story short... turns out that I bought a bike that had a covered up head gasket problem (which hid well for about a month). Oh well, downside to buying an old cheap bike to learn how to ride on.

Anyhow, I'm thinking of buying an FZ6 (2007 and up, I prefer the analog tach) since I really don't want to spend the money to fix my current bike. I walked into the dealer on Monday to test one out, but the only model that they had out was on a display. I would've asked them to bring it down, but I don't plan to purchase a new bike until mid to late summer (2008). Anyhow, I did speak to one of the salesperson's and he said out the door, it'd be about $8,500-$8,700. I was planning to put down a $1000 deposit and possibly my current bike, but I'd be financing the rest and making payments. What would be the best way to get the best price on the bike?

Do you guys think this bike would be to much for me with 300 miles of experience? Also, are these bikes comfortable for bigger riders? I've read that they are, but I'm 5'10" and about 300lbs... anyone have an person experience?

Thanks in advance.

W

wrightme43

Your sales guy is smoking the crack rock, and trying to have sex with your wallet.
If you want to drive down here you get one for 6000 plus tax, tag, lic. Others have gotten even better deals than that, so quite a bit better if I remember right. I think I paid about avg or a little over avg.

I dont know about the size thing man, I am 5'8" at 150lbs and it fits me well.

I would highly reccomend you get more experince first though. Quite a few people have started on this bike, or others in this or higher classes. The worry is forgiveness.
We all start out with a empty bag of experince, and a full bag of luck. We make withdrawls from the luck bag, and try to fill the experince bag. The thing is no one knows how big your luck bag is, and wether it will last to fill the experince bag.
I hope you see what I am saying.

I only put 8000 miles on a ninja 250 before I went for the FZ6. I have 12000 on it now.
I spent ALOT of time practicing in parking lots. What and how you do is up to you.
If your mature, and capable of controling your actions the FZ will be fine. If you just do things then worry about what happened, it will not be fine.

Anyway, 8500 is way to high.

Scorphonic

No Man is an Ireland.
Reaction score
Visit site
I have no idea about prices over there in the US so I wont even bother laying down figures to you!

Regarding having experience...certainly get a few more hours on the bike that you've got...even if you can get a make shift job done on it until the summer when you can get the FZ6. I'm only riding about 2 years now, but I have clocked up about 15,000 miles on a 125cc and have then jumped on board the FZ6 which is now restricted, I cant go over 90 miles an hour on it...at least the bike is forgiving for any mistakes that I input in. Now remember I've got good experience and training on bikes over the past two years so getting onto a bigger bike was no real issue, the only main thing is weight difference and throttle power. I'm sure an Unrestricted FZ6 would be a bit different for me and I'm sure I would have come off once or twice if I was not forced to go restricted in the first place.

Just take your time, learn the ropes, buy this dream bike and enjoy it without the worry of killing it or yourself.

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I got my '07 this last July for $5,500, used with 1,300 miles, my first bike. I'd not pay what your dealer is asking (although, living in Chicago, you might approach him again in, say, January... ;) ).
I'm 6' 5", 225 lbs, and I don't think a smaller bike woulda worked for me to learn on, although it was more knee clearance on the handlebars than weight. You don't say how old you are, but if you're more mature and/or less of a daredevil, I think an FZ 6 is just fine to learn on.
Good luck, and welcome!

S

sportrider

300 miles of experience is not very much at all. I've put 12000 miles on my FZ6, and more miles then I can remember on all the other bikes I've owned over the years. I completely agree with the answers given by wrightme43 and Scorphonic. think of your riding career as a Marathon not a sprint. the bike you ride now is a learning tool not the bike your stuck with forever. do yourself a favor, take your time learning the ropes. start small and slow.
REMEMBER the more powerful a bike is the easier it is for you to get in over your head. a bike will only do what its told, if you are lacking the necessary knowledge and experience the chances of you telling the bike to do the wrong thing are pretty high. on a bike that is quick and powerful you don't have much time (if any) to correct a mistake.
what size is your shadow? ever consider a Ninja 250? I bought one for my wife she has logged 600+ miles on it. I have put another 400 on it, and I think its extremely fun to ride!!! that being said there is no way I'd recommend the FZ6 for my wife and she has twice the experience you currently have.;)

oh just for the record I'm 6' and tip the scales at 225lbs and the LIL ninja pulls me just fine!!!
Welcome Aboard!!!:thumbup:

gsus

Reaction score
Visit site
I passed the MSF course in August (bought the bike 2 days before getting in the class), it consisted of 2 weekends of training. I then waited another 2 weeks to get my certificate of passing in the mail to get my license, register it, title it and insure it. I resisted that whole month not touching the bike, except for turning it on in the back yard and revving the engine every once in a while. I know 300 miles is barely scratching the surface on riding experience, but that's what I was able to get out of my Shadow :(. Anyhow, I’m going on to 23 this January, and the bike is a 750cc V-twin, with a claimed 66bhp (much less now I'm sure, due to age/wear tear). I’m not sure how I can temporarily fix the aside from making it a winter project and spending some money on it (can’t see it being anymore difficult than doing it on a car). I guess I should just attempt to fix it and log some more miles before taking the plunge to the FZ6.

As for the Ninja 250, I love the look of the sport bikes… it’s just that the seating position doesn’t appeal to me. I was actually hoping the seating position on the FZ6 was similar to the Ninja 650R, since I really love the look of the FZ6.

I also had one more question; I was on an FZ1 forum earlier this week where I read several people reporting frames cracking right at the welds (some said they never stunted their bikes). Are the FZ6’s built similarly?

finboz

stealth browser
Reaction score
Visit site
going by what others have said i must be dipping in to the luck bag at the moment, i had seven hours training on a suzuki gs500 before passing my test and buying a second hand fz6 two months ago. i personally find it a newbie friendly bike, if you keep the revs below 8000 then its pretty tame after that it really takes off. it handles brilliantly (bridgestone 021's) is comfy on long runs (im 6'2") and will get 200+ miles from a tank.

W

wrightme43

I passed the MSF course in August (bought the bike 2 days before getting in the class), it consisted of 2 weekends of training. I then waited another 2 weeks to get my certificate of passing in the mail to get my license, register it, title it and insure it. I resisted that whole month not touching the bike, except for turning it on in the back yard and revving the engine every once in a while. I know 300 miles is barely scratching the surface on riding experience, but that's what I was able to get out of my Shadow :(. Anyhow, I’m going on to 23 this January, and the bike is a 750cc V-twin, with a claimed 66bhp (much less now I'm sure, due to age/wear tear). I’m not sure how I can temporarily fix the aside from making it a winter project and spending some money on it (can’t see it being anymore difficult than doing it on a car). I guess I should just attempt to fix it and log some more miles before taking the plunge to the FZ6.

As for the Ninja 250, I love the look of the sport bikes… it’s just that the seating position doesn’t appeal to me. I was actually hoping the seating position on the FZ6 was similar to the Ninja 650R, since I really love the look of the FZ6.

I also had one more question; I was on an FZ1 forum earlier this week where I read several people reporting frames cracking right at the welds (some said they never stunted their bikes). Are the FZ6’s built similarly?

The frames are different. Also stunters destroy bikes. FZ1 tube frame welded.
FZ6 controlled fill diecast frame, welds to hold on the rear subframe.

The ninja 250 is a sport standard, its seating position is almost exactly the same the FZ, it has risers not clipons.

I would fix the head gasket, and practice some more, thats just what I would do though.

Have you considered reading some books and practicing the skills drills in them? It has meant a lot to me.