Replace clutch lever

tonystoney

Reaction score
Visit site
New to the site and just wanted to know about any advice on replacing my clutch lever on my 2006 FZ6. The new one came in the mail yesterday and Ive never done it before. Any advice/tips on what to do. Thanks. :rockon:

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
Super easy my friend. What kind of levers did you get?

1. Loosen off the clutch cable to give it some slack. I think I completely unscrewed that adjuster ring right out of the lever housing IIRC.
2. Disconnect the clutch cable from the lever. I believe the cable rotates towrds the front of the bike and then will drop out the bottom of the lever. Just look under at the bottom side of the lever and you will see the hole and 'notch' for the cable to slip out from.
3. Unscrew the clutch lever pivot bolt nut (underside of the lever housing). You do not need to remove the lever housing from the bar.

**- I'm not 100% sure if it's the clutch of brake lever, but there is a metal bushing/sleeve in the stock lever that you need to pop out and re-use in your aftermarket levers. I'm pretty sure it's the brake lever.

4. Clean off the pivot bolt.
5. Re-lube pivot bolt and inside bushing area of your new levers with grease (not oil). I used some white lithium grease I had on hand.
6. Place new lever on and re assemble in reverse order.
7. Re-thread in the silver adjsuter ring back into the clutch housing and adjust the cable slack and lever (if your levers have that option).

TEST RIDE!!!! More than likely you will have to do some "on-the-fly" tweaking and adjusting to get the lever and clutch cable slack reset to your liking. Don't just assume it will be the same and ride off to work or something!

Here is a pic of my PAZZO shorty clutch lever installed:

DSCF3180.JPG

BTW, welcome aboard!!

Last edited:

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Super easy my friend. What kind of levers did you get?

1. Loosen off the clutch cable to give it some slack. I think I completely unscrewed that adjuster ring right out of the lever housing IIRC.
2. Disconnect the clutch cable from the lever. I believe the cable rotates towrds the front of the bike and then will drop out the bottom of the lever. Just look under at the bottom side of the lever and you will see the hole and 'notch' for the cable to slip out from.
3. Unscrew the clutch lever pivot bolt nut (underside of the lever housing). You do not need to remove the lever housing from the bar.

**- I'm not 100% sure if it's the clutch of brake lever, but there is a metal bushing/sleeve in the stock lever that you need to pop out and re-use in your aftermarket levers. I'm pretty sure it's the brake lever.

4. Clean off the pivot bolt.
5. Re-lube pivot bolt and inside bushing area of your new levers with grease (not oil). I used some white lithium grease I had on hand.
6. Place new lever on and re assemble in reverse order.
7. Re-thread in the silver adjsuter ring back into the clutch housing and adjust the cable slack and lever (if your levers have that option).

TEST RIDE!!!! More than likely you will have to do some "on-the-fly" tweaking and adjusting to get the lever and clutch cable slack reset to your liking. Don't just assume it will be the same and ride off to work or something!

Here is a pic of my PAZZO shorty clutch lever installed:

DSCF3180.JPG

BTW, welcome aboard!!

Those Pazzo's look sweet!!!

Boneman

Instructor
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.bonemanfz6.com
How does the PAZZO Feel. It looks awesome. They are pricey though. :Sport:
My review from my FZ6 web site:

First impressions of using them - Fricken Sweet!! Nice and smooth pull. I had a concern of how 'heavy' the pull would be using the short clutch lever. Well, it is smoother and easier than the stock lever that is for darn sure!!!! Whoever said that I would love the short clutch lever was bang on the money!!

The 6 position adjustment lets you fine tune it to just the perfect setting and position for each individual. The 6 settings push the levers outward; towards the front of the bike. I initially thought this was not going to suit me as I have smallish hands (short fingers anyway) and usually want my levers closer to the bar. However, this was not an issue due to the shape and curve of the Pazzo levers. In fact, my clutch lever is now set on 3.

The brake lever (long) is also just as comfortable and smooth.

The radius and shape of the Pazzo levers are sooooo smooth and comfortable. It really is noticeable and very comfortable!

There is a slight bit of play in them, both at the pivot point/mounting plates and a bit on the levers themselves. I might try to shim up the pivot point/mounting plate with a washer, but it really isn't too bad.