Lest We Forget

Limey

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi Fellow riders,
I do not know if this is the right forum or not but I wanted to let everyone know a few ways we can honor our veterans as we near rememerance day.

I have changed my avatar as you can see as a show of support,and you can too!!!!

I have joined the group "Project Poppy" on Face book ,this was started by a fellow rider here in BC Canada and is gaining ground now around the world please join up and invite all your friends to do the same
Facebook | Login.

Last but certainly not least ,Get out to a ceromony/parade on the 11th to show your support in person to those veterans who have made it home.
Limey

Admin

Staff member
Reaction score
Visit site
I encouage all to go to their local Legion or cenotaph and show your support. Last year in Langey at the Legion there were some WWI veterans there, three. There are less every year...... I usally watch a war documentary before I go to remind me of the sacrifices others have made for us. My family had lost a few members to WWI. And we have a few Bosnia and Afganistan Vets in the family as well as a WWII Vet.

Remembrance Day (Australia, Canada, United Kingdom), also known as Poppy Day (Malta and South Africa), Veterans Day (United States), and Armistice Day (France, New Zealand, and many other Commonwealth countries; and the original name of the day internationally) is a day to commemorate the sacrifice of veterans and civilians in World War I, World War II, and other wars. It is observed on 11 November to recall the end of World War I on that date in 1918. The observance is specifically dedicated to members of the armed forces who were killed during war.

In Flanders Fields
[SIZE=+1]By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Canadian Army[/SIZE]

[SIZE=+1]IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Between the crosses row on row,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]That mark our place; and in the sky[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The larks, still bravely singing, fly[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Scarce heard amid the guns below.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We are the Dead. Short days ago[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Loved and were loved, and now we lie[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]In Flanders fields.[/SIZE] [SIZE=+1]Take up our quarrel with the foe:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]To you from failing hands we throw[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]The torch; be yours to hold it high.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]If ye break faith with us who die[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]We shall not sleep, though poppies grow[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]In Flanders fields.[/SIZE]

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
In Holland they have Remembrance day on 4th of May, that was the day they were freed (by the Canadians) at the end of WWII (they were neutral in WWI).
At the Naval base where I work they always have a Remembrance parade and a laying of the wreaths.

"Lest we forget".

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Welsh Guards

What agreat thread.
My Grandad used to say that the nicest people he ever met were first the Dutch, as their gratitude saw no bounds. He used to tell us stories of how the people of Holland would give up their beds for fighting men. Second were the "Yanks" They fought a hard war in Europe and never seemed to get down. I don't know if my Grandad fought with the Canadians.
My avatar is a picture of my Grandads regiment (squadron) parked up in Europe. My Grandads tank was number 58. He and his crew were the only ones to come home. The old guys are all dead now but I always think of them and their sacrifice.

I would like to remeber all of the dead on all sides. But a particular thanks to all our allies, thanks for my freedom.

Neil

Last edited:

Limey

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks all to those who have had a chance to show their respect, I am sure that many more will havew some memories of those who faught for their beliefs and countries.

I was lucky enough to have been born well after both of the two "world wars" but know many of you and some of my own family and freinds were not so lucky,

Ever since being a member of the Air Training Corps in England and attending parades with veterans I get a certain tingle in my head when remembering those who sacrificed so much.

my Son And I always attend the Local laying of the wreaths to again show our appreciation.

Les.

W

wrightme43

Have you all seen the movie, The War, by Ken Burns? It is a very well done tribute.
I watched it again last night.

I have a book called Over the Top by Aurther Guy Empey. It was written in 1917 by a guy that went to England and signed up to be a Tommy. He was in the trenches in WWI.
It is really interesting. He gets shot, healed up, sent back, crawls across no mans land in the dark with his troop. The Germans knew they were coming, waited untill they were inside the German barbed wire, launched flares. Then proceded to open fire with everything they had. He was shot, tried to make it back, was shot again, and layed in a shell hole for a day or so untill he was found alive.

My grandfather was in WWII. My other Grandfather was drafted at the end of WWII. He said when he went to sign up, they asked him. "Can you boil water without burning it?" He said no, they sent him home to the coal mines. Who knows if that was true or not he B.S.ed alot and is long dead now.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Remembrance day.

Lest we forget.

I would like to pay tribute to the men and women who have fought for our freedom, and many who have laid down their lives doing so.

What agreat thread.
My Grandad used to say that the nicest people he ever met were first the Dutch, as their gratitude saw no bounds. He used to tell us stories of how the people of Holland would give up their beds for fighting men. Second were the \"Yanks\" They fought a hard war in Europe and never seemed to get down. I don't know if my Grandad fought with the Canadians.
...........I would like to remember all of the dead on all sides. But a particular thanks to all our allies, thanks for my freedom.

Neil

Neil,
The Dutch were liberated by many nationalities (especially in the south) it was only that the last push to totally free Holland was done by the Canadians. As people generally know many British, Polish and Americans lost their lives in the ill fated Operation Market Garden (a bridge too far).