K&N Air Filter Install - Easy Mod

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not a great mechanic but though I'd post some pics showing how to replace an air filter. If I can do it, you can do it! So get that OEM filter out and put in something worthy of your machine.

The procedure is in the owners manual under "Replacing the air filter element". I would suggest doing this when the gas tank is near empty. Note that there are 2 wire connectors under the fuel tank that you will need to unplug in order to lift up the tank fully. Also, the fuel tank breather hose and overflow hose that run down from under the seat will need to be pulled up a bit. Take note of where these go in case you need to put them back in place. I pulled mine right out and hung them up on the tank as they were leaking! When putting the tank back down again, be very careful not to kink these hoses.

PART 1...

Last edited:

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
PART 2...

Wow, look at the old filter! That's after 6200 miles. I took pics from both sides showing the tank slightly lifted up and the hoses underneath. Be really careful putting in the new air filter as you need to be sure that it is in the groves before you tighten down the cover.

(note the proper use of the supplied stickers...)

Last edited:

jtarkany

Ronin
Elite Member
Reaction score
www.vcoe.org
Nice post and pictures :thumbup:.

Suggested shortcuts:
- You can avoid removing the fairing pieces by removing the bolt on the back of the tank, slide the tank back, lift up the front end of the tank and slide the bolt back in.
- Avoid disconnecting any wires or hoses by using two bungees, hook them into the front mount on the tank where you took the allen bolts out, hook the other ends onto the grab bars.

Hope this helps to reduce the time and work load for someone out there ;)

dean2287

Easy Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
K&N sku # 152339 for '04 to '09. Not sure on US cost, about $50 I think. In Canada they run about $75.

Z

Zealadin

Yes, I'm interested in knowing the effect of changing the air filter too, also any issues with tuning when you get a better filter?
I've heard it can be problematic on some bikes.

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice post and pictures :thumbup:.
- Avoid disconnecting any wires or hoses by using two bungees, hook them into the front mount on the tank where you took the allen bolts out, hook the other ends onto the grab bars.

Hope this helps to reduce the time and work load for someone out there ;)

+1 on the bungees. I did it the same way while doing bd43's dual headlight mod.

Whats the filter part number and how much do they run?

I got mine at indysuperbike.com for $45 + shipping.

besides simply changing your air filter because it was dirty... does this do anything for the bike? or are you just showing how to change an air filter?

Its a high flow air filter. More air going in the engine to make it breathe better. Also, they have a million miles guarantee. They are washable and reusable. Wash every 50,000 miles and reuse.

-Manas.

audible

Hear Me?
Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered one...installing this Sunday along with 2 Brothers titanium cans. :Flash: Just going to take it nice and slow...and try not to loose any bolts. :eek:

manas12

Reaction score
Visit site
Ordered one...installing this Sunday along with 2 Brothers titanium cans. :Flash: Just going to take it nice and slow...and try not to loose any bolts. :eek:

You might have to change the ECU map if you do both these together. The lean mixture might hurt your engine. I don't know about the ECU on the 06 but the 08 is not programmable. Did you get the TB Juice Box along with the cans or the PCIII?

-Manas.

04fizzer

Reaction score
Visit site

I've found that when doing work, when possible, thread the bolts/screws/nuts back into/onto what you just removed them from after removing the part. It helps you keep track of what goes where, and keeps you from losing them.

Either that or, depending on how deep you go into a job, you can bag and tag 'em as you remove them.

lazamus69

Heavy User
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Not sure if he still fabs them , but FRED made me these aluminum tank props for cheap.....fit perfectly under the seat too...:thumbup:
PICT0008.jpg

PICT0009-1.jpg