How to: Increase Cornering Clearance

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
If you are a hardcore corner junkie like me, sooner or later you will run into the problem of ground clearance on the FZ6. There are a few steps you can take, in varying degrees of difficulty, to improve the fizzer's available lean angle. I didn't want to go all the way to rearsets and kickstand removal since the majority of my riding is on the street, and I like the peg position where it is. I wouldn't want my knees to be killing me after an hour.

First Mod: Remove Center Stand & Peg Feelers. $Free$

The peg feelers thread right out of the footpegs, just get a pair of pliers. Getting rid of that monstrosity that lurks under the bike will gain you a weight loss, better looks, and no worries about touching down. Many track day organizations require the removal of the center stand. The bolts holding the stand in place are tight and tucked away but you can get to them.

Second Mod: R6 Pegs. $65

The stock pegs with luckyirishboy's inserts are great for grip on the boots, but the stock pegs are tall and heavy! I bought some R6 pegs from Ron Ayers, and installed them on the bike, but in order for them to sit level I had to have the pads on the back of the peg welded up at a local weld shop. Cost me $15 on top of the pegs. File or sand down the weld till the pegs sit level. The R6 pegs are lightweight aluminum, and much more angled on the bottom so they don't touch down on the road as soon as stock parts.

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3883-r6-peg-mod.jpg

Third Mod: Modify Sidestand. $Free

The first part of the bike to touch down will now be the sidestand. First we need to trim the bottom of the pad that sets on the ground.

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3884-kickstand.jpg

After installing the R6 pegs and trimming the pad, my sidestand would touch down just about the same time as the new pegs. This is all and well, but if you look at the R6 pegs, the left peg is just over 1/2" longer than the right. I assume this is so the sidestand on the R6 won't touch down before the peg.

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3882-pegs.jpg

If we strategically remove material from the stand base, we can pivot the sidestand at least 3/4 of an inch higher. This now means that we can switch to an R1 peg on the left side of the bike, which is the same length as the right R6 peg, and your available lean angle will be the same in a left or right turn.:rockon:

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3880-kickstand-ground-clearance-mod.jpg

A few notes:

In order to maximize our cornering clearance, we need to have the controls adjusted properly. The shifter and brake should be no lower than about a 3/4" below the pegs. This may seem high to some on the brake side, but if you ride with the pad of your foot on the peg, it will never be in the way. It is also very easy to push without dipping your foot too much in the middle of a corner on the track. This is as low as the brake can be, and not touch down before the end of the peg. If you look closely, you can see where I've already ground a flat spot on the end of the brake lever.:eek:

mrgm-albums-misc-pictures-picture3881-rear-brake-lever-position.jpg

If you're headed to the track without a friend to help you with a track stand, I'd highly recommend you try this out :thumbup:

cp04

Dunder Mifflin Employee
Reaction score
Visit site
Good write up. One question though. Did you have to mess with the R1 peg to get it to fit like the R6 peg, or was it a good fit already? Thanks.

cobalt10

cobalt10
Reaction score
Visit site
Question? Want to remove the center stand but am concerned about removal of that big spring first. Special tools needed?:cheer:

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
Good write up. One question though. Did you have to mess with the R1 peg to get it to fit like the R6 peg, or was it a good fit already? Thanks.

Yes, you'll have to weld the R1 pegs.

I used a pair of vice grip pliers and just pulled the spring off for the center stand.

stryken

Vertically Challenged
Reaction score
Visit site
Wow... how far do you lean man?!?!

No kidding... I have about 1/4" or less strip on the left side and 1/8" on the right and I still haven't scrapped anything except the toe of my boot. I know on the track it is more likely though.

Now I gotta find some more left hand twisties to I can fix the unevenness. :D

Hellgate

Moto Demi-God
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
just 4 bolts to take off i belive. its been a while.

2 bolts, comes right off, but you need to do the side stand first in order to get at the bolts.

Or buy a set of Rizomas and be happy! That and hang the heck off the bike. :)

Last edited:

(none)

Not even here
Reaction score
Visit site
No strips here. Just waiting for my one piece Roadcrafter to come in so I can finally drag a knee.

I'm assuming you are putting pucks on your roadcrafter? otherwise you'll just quickly ruin the knees in an expensive suit...

sideslider

Reaction score
Visit site
great thread - I just came back from the track - and I don't need to remove the little nubs on the bottom of my pegs (at least not the right one) as I grounded them off - got my boot once but was able to tuck my foot in.

no chickens strips - break lever is already tweaked in so it doesn't hit

side stand never touched but my knee did - but good tips thanks

I have decided that if I where to do more trackdays I would be better off with a dedicated bike (and a different model -)

MRGM

Reaction score
Visit site
You buy the pegs in a single package, either way just go with the R1 pegs.

I haven't done any suspension work, that will be this winter with the R6 USD forks and a Ohlins rear shock. I run the rear preload at 5.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
what rubber you running to lean like that!?! the sh#tmax'es suck! I feel'em squirreling around when I even flirt with cut'n that hard on'em!

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
what rubber you running to lean like that!?! the sh#tmax'es suck! I feel'em squirreling around when I even flirt with cut'n that hard on'em!

This may be more due to the suspension than the tires. :confused: The FZ6 is stock sprung for a very light rider. If you don't mind me asking, what do you weigh with all your gear on? What is the current setting on the rear shock? Still at the stock preload of 3? :D