What was your first fall like?

ang1dust

My bike is smokin I think
Reaction score
www.myspace.com
I never thought i would lay my bike down. I have dropped it a couple times when i baught it, but never did i think i would fall while riding. Thankfully it was not A) over 30 mph B) a right turn...

My stock dunlop stock tires are pushing 9k miles. I had already pondered on replacing them in the next week cause seem to have ok tread for the rides i take for commuting and excitement purposes. It seems to me that even though i dont take many turns that after so many miles on those tires they get hard. I have quite a bit of tread on the sides and it was only 55 degrees outside. The pavement was dry but it was a school area so not the best traction and i knew this. But between a semi cool tire, nearing its end of its life, pavement not made for tons of traction - i fell. Anyhow i got right back up and drove home.

Bent my handle bars wich so far seems that they can bend back pretty easily. Broke my rear flairing; which i wouldnt have broken had i not hastefully attempted to pick the bike up by the flairing, scratched up the engine case (place on the side that sticks out that says yamaha). Small dent in the tank and some scratches on the kickstand, rear foot rests, and the mirror. Not bad for a first fall. Was scary but exhilurating (sp?).

I have to mention this. I wear Abercrmbie clothes, today i just happened to wear one of my more exxotic long sleve Ezera Fitch shirts and after falling and sliding roughly 25-30 feet my elbow got quite road rashed but not a single scratch in the shirt. Ima clean it and wear it again! Talk about tough!

My timberland shoes on the other hand are not with us today. :(

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
The bike gracefully fell sideways to earth. Crashed onto the kerb and snapped the pegs, bent the rear subframe, handlebars and forks and scratched up all the plastics.

Luckily I wasn't on it. Unluckily I saw it happen. Was stood in a shop with it parked outside when some tw@t in a white van reversed into it, rolled off the centrestand and....down. His insurance covered everything though.

W

wrightme43

Honda CRF50 dirtbike in the yard on wet leaves. Rear end slid out, caught back, I went up in the air, landed on my shoulder and neck, rolled onto my hip and leg, slid to a stop, picked the little bike that just kicked my *** up, and rode around some more to cover my wounded pride.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Suzuki 50cc, wet road, bald knobbly tyre, 30mph turning into a junction. Flew off and slid on my arse for 20 yards. Like Steve, I applied some shoe leather to make it rideable again. lol
funny thing was. My dad (biker) said to me after about the 5th fall. "Son, have you noticed a theme with yor crashes?" "No dad, must be the bike"! "Son, wet road knobbly tyre?"
He then took me out and taught me about the various road conditions and surfaces.

Last edited:

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
DT50MX Turning into our road from the main road on a frosty day. It slid out from under me and both the bike and I ended up laid in the middle of road. I hadn't seriously damaged anything (hair fractured my fairing), only bruised. Luckily it was quiet, I got myself up, picked the bike up looked around, I saw nobody pheew!
Just as I came home (still living with my parents at the time) I quietly put the bike in the garage and went into the house. Anyway 10 seconds later the local policeman (who lived opposite) came knocking on the door and asked my dad if I was alright.
He also told the rest of the street damn!.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
50 cc bikes are the real cause of all our problems.
Why so? cause its the first time the bug bites? I remember the first time I hit 40mph on the road. I felt like I was on the FZ6 in 3rd hitting 9000 rpm. Lol.
I went from a bmx to my 50, happy days. Then I got the 125cc. Now were talking HP, what a missile that was 70mph down hill (as long as you layed on the bike).

W

wrightme43

Why so? cause its the first time the bug bites? I remember the first time I hit 40mph on the road. I felt like I was on the FZ6 in 3rd hitting 9000 rpm. Lol.
I went from a bmx to my 50, happy days. Then I got the 125cc. Now were talking HP, what a missile that was 70mph down hill (as long as you layed on the bike).

OH thats just my warped sense of humor. I just saw three people in a row wrecking 50cc bikes so I said something silly.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine happened in May on 200 cc Yamaha duel sport during my MSF new riders course. The first day was on a Honda Nighthawk. That bike had a broken peg, so I choose the Yamaha for day two of the course. It was raining a bit and we were doing the stopping on a curve drill. We were supposed to start the turn, then straighten up the bike, then hit the brakes. I hit the front brake a little too hard and it locked, and I went down. I was going between 10-15 mph. I put a few holes in my clothes but didn't do any really damage to me or the bike (just my pride)!

Maverick

Reaction score
Visit site
I was on my *SS so many times on my RZ in my 20s... a low side that surprised the hell out of me was my first... diesel fuel in a corner while leaned over...

DefyInertia

Former '04 FZ6 Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
My first fall was painful...lots of stitches etc. and couldn't really walk for a couple weeks. Second fall was not too bad...just a damaged middle finger.

Disclaimer: I ride at the track!
________
KamilaHot

Last edited:
B

Bo67

First spill on, of all things, my Dad's 49cc Free Spirit (Sears) moped. That ride would rocket up to 25 MPH going downhill with a sail on it and me pedaling! I used to sneak it out when he was at work. Tried to do the dirt bike thing with it once, got the front wheel stuck in a mogul and down she went. Washed the mud off and my Dad never knew about it. Lot's of tumble on my '76 RM250 but that was all in soft Illinois farm mud. Dropped my VT500 Ascot after I got into with some gravel and slid my 650 Nighthawk down when a car turned left in front of me. All years ago and I least I survived and learned from my mistakes.

S

sportrider

not the first wreck but the worst wreck

I was riding really good one day on my CR250 every jump I hit I was clearing with ease. I saw some guys hitting a 45 foot step down and I wanted to hit it.
I rode up the hill and looked over the ledge of the 18 foot high cliff I was planning on throwing myself off. I turned around and took a practice run at the runway (a single track goat trail) as I made my approach I started to chicken out, but then foolish pride kicked in. I had short shifted in to third gear, if I hadn't hesitated I would have been fine, but as it was I was going to slow to clear it and instead of stopping I fanned the clutch and grabbed a handful of gas. I knew I was short as soon as I left the ground. I came up about 3 feet short, casing the bike. I got knocked out in the fall so I don't remember all the details, but when I came to, I felt like I was on fire from the chest down. I had shattered my right femur. the damage to the bike was trashed handle bars, bent bar mounts, a smashed pipe, broken clutch lever, radiator shroud, and the fork tubes had twisted in the triple clamps. I spent eight days in the hospital (one of which was having surgery) it took me about four months before I could walk slightly normal again( in which by that time I had fixed my bike and had gone riding twice) and it took over a year before I could run with out hobbling. to this day I still can't run 100% normal. and that was eight years ago.:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Visit site
What really amazes me is the number of thoughts that can pass through one's mind during the short period of time it takes to crash. I had my first real crash a few weeks ago when I came around a corner and found a deer standing in the middle of my lane. The condensed version of my thoughts was something like: Oh sh*t! So this is why the speed limit is 45 instead of 55. Ok, right or left. Can't go left, may be a car around the corner. Going right. God I'm not going to make the corner, this is going to be bad. Deer's gone left, won't hit it now, should have just stayed on my line. Too late for that. I should just turn hard now. I think the book said these sportbikes steer quicker than I think (I was reading Lee Parks' Total Control at the time). But if I'm wrong, I'm hitting pavement. Better slow down and turn slower, at least I'll hit on grass. Easy on the brakes, don't lock em up, easy off the throttle. White line closing in. Going to crash, no doubt about it. Yep, going off road now. I'm losing it, she's breaking up, she's breaking up! I'm in the middle of a crash and quoting the 6 million dollar man! Unbelievable! Hitting ground now. Oh, that wasn't as bad as thought! I'm tumbling, there goes the bike, it's not going to hit me. I wonder if this looks like a MotoGP crash? Glad I got this new helmet. The gear seems to be working. Head first on my back, just sliding now like on the old yellow Slip-n-Slide. How far will I slide? Unless something hard is ahead of me I'm going to be alright! I can't believe I'm going to get up and walk away from this. There goes some bike part, it's going to be more than scratched up. That was such a friggin rookie panic move, you should have just turned harder idiot! I bet my cell's not going to pick up here and I'm 20 miles from the cabin. I've stopped. No pain. Hell yea! Time to get up and look at the bike.

J

jsteinb95

wow....that was definitely in super slow mo. Glad you're ok. Those deer can be a MF, good thing we don't have 'em here in the desert. :thumbup:

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
I fell off my 50cc moped - Yamaha FS1E - so many times I lost count. I can't remember the first time, but I do remember the last.

I was riding through a village about 10 miles from home with my mate Taffy Lewis. I was on the Fizzy & he had a Puch Grand Prix (So called, because it was the same colour scheme a the John Player Special team, I think) which was also a 50cc moped.

It was Saturday night & we were looking for something to do. Our prayers were answered when we saw Tina & Louise walking up the road. Now, Tina was only 15 but mightily blessed & Louise was as pretty as they came. Well Taffy & I went into pea**** mode, both swung round in the saddle to wave as we went by. I already knew that we would turn round at the island by the chip shop & cruise back all casual like.

Unfortunately, when we took our eyes off the gals & back to the road, the car in front of us had stopped & we both rode straight into the back of it. Both bikes were write-offs, both of us had broken our left leg mid shin.

Big life lesson, don't ogle boobs when you should be looking at the road. :D