Trip Report - Boston to Berkshires

Se7enLC

Nerd
Reaction score
Visit site
We had some gorgeous weather this past weekend (70s and sunny) for our trip. I was on red 07, a friend of mine on a blue 05, and two more bikes: a Ninja EX500 and a VStrom 650. I have a TomTom GO 510 hacked with "Event Logger" to record the tracks:

Day 1, Day 2

I highly recommend the route we took. It could easily be extended further by looping around both the Wachusett and Quabbin reservoir and stopping at more scenic locations. The trip back could be extended by stretching up into the Green mountains before hitting the Mohawk trail. Favorite parts were Rt-122, Rt-116, Greylock Scenic Byway and Mohawk Trail (Rt-2). 122 was moderate speed, nice curves. 116 had more curves and less traffic. Greylock Scenic Byway was amazing - fresh pavement, great views, but a low speed limit (25mph) and a fair amount of traffic. Very few places to pull over, so you may end up in a 20mph parade. Mohawk trail was a mountain-pass highway - be careful of the hairpin turn.

We stayed at Jiminy Peak (Country Inn) in Han**** (apparently I can't say the name of the town we stayed in. It's near Pittsfield but ends in a 4-letter word for male chicken) for a paltry sum of $180/night (for a 2 BR cottage for the 5 of us, including a nice living room, deck, and full kitchen).

300x225-p1010560.jpg

300x225-p1010532.jpg

Sadly, no in-ride photos or videos - my camera mount showed up 1 day too late.

All photos

Last edited:

tuningfork

Reaction score
Visit site
yep nice riding up there. If you are like me and hate the highway, there are ways to skip the "boring" sections of rt-2 (ie east of I-91). If you head out that way again be sure to take rt-202 from rt-2 down to rt-9 (amherst area) that makes a good loop around quabbin reservoir with rt-9 and rt-32 as the connectors. Rt-62 is also a nice ride for the most part from 495 and west.

RT-140 between I-290 all the way up to NH is nice. 31 is also pretty good, lots of curves. And if you were to cut up I-91 to Rt-9 in VT there are some excellent connector roads that parallel rt-2 East of there back towards NH and MA (ie around Mt. Monadnock/Jaffrey region in NH.) and you can cut down through Leominster MA to RT-2 again for your commute back into the city.