FZ6 vs. SV vs. V-Strom

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone. My name is Mark, and I live in Los Angeles, CA. I am new to this board.

I am considering an FZ6 as my next purchase. I am a new rider with approximately 6 months' experience riding my 03 Vulcan 500, my first bike. I did start off with the MSF course, passed easily, etc.

I had decided on the Ninja 650 before a recent trip to Europe, but after being in Paris for a while and seeing all these Yamaha "Fazers" around, I came back and found the FZ6, V-Strom and started actually considering the SV (naked) as well. I had decided then on the V-Strom based on some stuff I'd read on other forums. Now I am back to the FZ6. I am so fickle! But alas I can only have one bike at a time, so I must choose wisely.

I honestly don't think I would use the V-Strom's off road / ADV capability too often, so I am not so concerned about that (although you could probably get by with the FZ6 - check out what this guy did on an R1: [nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yjBrpN9nmZQ[/nomedia] ).

So the main concern I have is basically the reason that a lot of you would choose the FZ, the inline 4 vs. the V-twin. Is the power of the higher revving L4 hard to get used to?

My other concern is the riding position - it seems like the FZ6 is pitched forward more than the V-Strom (not sure about the SV) and yet the pegs look lower to me than the V-Strom.

Looking forward to the comments, thanks in advance.

-Mark

W

wrightme43

My major downside to the Vstrom is just how unpleasing to the eye it is.

The FZ sits like a sport standard. Your basic Universal Japanese Motorcycle (UJM) it does pretty much everything fairly well, and it seems to excell at delivering a sporty ride in a comfortable easy to use package.

I enjoy the heck out of mine.
Power is not a issue, there is not to much, not to little, it is just there. My brain controls my wrist, not the other way around. LOL

S

sportrider

off topic: I love the Dakkar version R1 I've read about that dude.
on topic: I've never ridden a V-storm, but I considered the SV back in 04 when I first was new bike shoping. I wasn't sure I'd be happy with the power delivery of a sporting twin. I prefer the power curve of an inline 4. I use my bike for a daily commuter as well as a weekend canyon carver. I have no complaints about the engine.(or the rest of the bike)
as for the riding position I find it very comfortable. the wind protection is good. the ergonomics seem perfect for me at 6'.

P.S. Welcome Aboard!!!

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same place you are. I looked at all three, and found them very comparable for a new rider from power perspective. Seasoned riders may differ and take offense to that statement. There is a thread that discusses very polarized opinions about inline 4 vs V twin.
I now have a FZ (Blue) and a V-Strom (Black). My emphasis, as a new rider, was not so much on the power/torque comparison but seating position and ease of handling.
SV is a little far pitched forward for my test. V-Strom is the most comfortable straight up position among the three here. V-Strom also has a little rack on the back for luggae carrying and a wider seat. So V-strom will suit better for a taller person and for long distance rides (of course you are not too keen on off road capability, so it does not count). It also appears to be a little easier for passenger carry if you are planning on it. V-Strom in appearance is a bigger (spacious may be?) than FZ.
FZ6 on the other hand is more sporty, compact, fun to ride, and easier to handle. The position is a little more leaning forward (you can get bar risers - search on the threads), and luggage carrying or passenger carry is limited compared to DL650.
So it depends on your height, style and what you are you planning to do with it. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the two.

Oh and V-Strom has a dual headlight (LO/LO and HI/HI) unlike FZ's odd set up of only one head-light at a time..... :)

vinpub

Reaction score
Visit site
I was in the same place you are. I looked at all three, and found them very comparable for a new rider from power perspective. Seasoned riders may differ and take offense to that statement. There is a thread that discusses very polarized opinions about inline 4 vs V twin.
I now have a FZ (Blue) and a V-Strom (Black). My emphasis, as a new rider, was not so much on the power/torque comparison but seating position and ease of handling.
SV is a little far pitched forward for my test. V-Strom is the most comfortable straight up position among the three here. V-Strom also has a little rack on the back for luggae carrying and a wider seat. So V-strom will suit better for a taller person and for long distance rides (of course you are not too keen on off road capability, so it does not count). It also appears to be a little easier for passenger carry if you are planning on it. V-Strom in appearance is a bigger (spacious may be?) than FZ.
FZ6 on the other hand is more sporty, compact, fun to ride, and easier to handle. The position is a little more leaning forward (you can get bar risers - search on the threads), and luggage carrying or passenger carry is limited compared to DL650.
So it depends on your height, style and what you are you planning to do with it. I dont think you can go wrong with any of the two.

Oh and V-Strom has a dual headlight (LO/LO and HI/HI) unlike FZ's odd set up of only one head-light at a time..... :)

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well I agree that at first glance the V-Strom is a little fugly. Then again, it's grown on me and I consider it theft insurance. :D

I guess the thing that concerns me is that I feel like I could *handle* any of the bikes. I'm a little concerned about getting carried away on the throttle, but I guess that goes for any bike.

Speaking of luggage, what do people do? I've read about the pillion handles getting in the way for hard luggage. Is this true?

Physically, at 5'9" and about 175 lbs, I could def. see the advantage of muscling around the much smaller FZ. And I'd be lying if I didn't admit that the FZ6 looks SO MUCH BETTER than the V-Strom.

Then again, I can get ABS on an 08 'Strom ...

W

wrightme43

ABS would be a huge huge selling point for me.
One of my major beefs with the FZ is no available ABS option in the states.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I looked at both SV and SVs in addition to the FZ6 when I was shopping - I was turned off by the lack of any fairing on the standard SV and found the ergos of the SVS more sporting than I wanted.

As a new rider, I also felt safer with the power delivery of the FZ6 since unless I get above 8k it's very easy to manage - definitely gave me a chance to get my feet wet without worrying so much about what a little too much throttle would do. And the best part is that as you get comfortable you use more of what's there.

Third thing for me - I was shopping used biles and it seemed like I could get a lot more FZ6 in terms of low age and miles for the same $s compared to the SV. Not sure if that would be true everywhere but definitely was in here at the time and if you are looking new that could actually play the other way. Good luck - I'm sure any of them will make a nice ride.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I went back to my local dealer last night and sat on an SV, the V-Strom, a Ninja 650 and the FZ6. I definitely liked the "feel" of the FZ6 the best - it fit me just right. The pegs feel like they're in a great position for my height and inseam (5'9", 32"). The reach and posture with the bars is perfect.

However, my limited experience tells me that there is more to just sitting on the quiet non-running bike. What is the exhaust note like? How loud is it when you rev it up a bit? Is it really as "buzzy" on the freeway as I've heard? Does the pillion seat heat up on long rides due to the undertail exhaust?

Are there any other day-to-day issues that I should be considering here?

Really leaning towards the FZ6!

B

Bo67

My thoughts:

I don't think the bike is that buzzy, the foot peg rubber bushings on the FZ6 help a lot, I don't fell much at highway speeds ~7K RPM, I do feel a bit in the bars ~5K RPM but with what I do I'm not really holding at 5K RPM too long. I liked the V-Strom except for the looks. It was pretty comfortable to sit on but really has a love it/hate it front end. I've taken my FZ6 on dirt and gravel roads and didn't like it much. One buddy of mine has a V-Strom and he's on gravel roads all the time and loves it.

As always, it boils down to you. I think the FZ6 is the best bike for me. I ride 90 miles on the interstate daily, twist the throttle on back roads often and like to take some curves now and then. For that I think the FZ6 excels for what it is and how much it costs. If you can ride them all back-to-back that would be great. I test rode the naked SV650 and loved it until I hopped on the FZ6 but that's just me. Good luck and HAVE FUN picking out your new bike.