Chain Lube

fast blue one

The number of the beast
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I expect it's already been done to death at some point on here but;

What does everybody in UK think is the best chain lube theses days........................ oh yeah and why?

Thanks people. :thumbup:

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of posts on this!

I use WD40. Main reason is that the lube is there to prevent corrosion, now if you use a sticky lube it will attract particles and create a 'grinding paste' unless it is regularly cleaned. With WD40 I just wipe the chain and it cleans and protects in one go. Of course you have to do it more often, for me at least once a week.

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
I was going to comment negatively on the WD-40 but just managed to stop myself! :) I currently use the Kalgard chain coat as it seems like all the others (ie sticky and oily and lasts well) and M and P have it on buy one get one free! :) I've also used various chain coats from Halfords and Infinity at reasonable prices. I couldn't tell the difference between them really!

I tried chain wax too and hated it! Far too hard to clean off - even with Paraffin (the best I've found to clean the chain and rear wheel).

eddt

Reaction score
Visit site
I fitted a scottoiler, makes a mess of your back wheel until you get it adjusted just right. On the plus side I havent needed to adjust the chain in coming up for 2000 miles.

Yammi Dodger

Reaction score
Visit site
I now use Fuchs chain lube, tried quite a few others but never been happy with any of them found most to be to sticky.
Not to sure on the WD 40 because I once read that it can damage the o rings in between the links.

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
I read about WD40 damaging o rings too, so I asked a materials guy at the college, he said that if it was to affect the seals, the time scale was far longer than the normal life of the chain. So it didn't matter. However, if I find out in practice, I'll be sure to post and let everyone know.

bigjoke70

Reaction score
Visit site
I use WURTH dry chain lubricant . Cant really say if its any good or not, as this is my 1st big bike so dont have the experience of you guys. Any advice would be appreciated.:thumbup: