Where do you have your pre-load set?

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
My Fz6 came adjusted to setting "3" on the shock, though I moved it to setting 4 as I do a fair amount of 2 up riding. Where do you have yours set? Is it just a matter of the higher the setting, the firmer the ride? I may bring mine down to 3 or even two when I'm riding solo.

Your thoughts?

Manx

Reaction score
Visit site
Mine was set to 5 when I got it, but I have slowly brought it down to 2. More comfortable on the often rough roads where I live.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
The scales tell me my single ride weight is 205lbs with gear and I use 4.

When I add a 2nd person I bump it up to 5. Most of the surfaces I ride are smooth so I don't bottom out but if your roads are bad, with two up I would go maybe 6 depending on combined weight.

rjo3491

Missing The Fiz-Sometimes
Reaction score
Visit site
Mglowe-

Is this setting easy to change? I'd love to weigh as much as you (working on it) and think my bike is set at 3. I have no doubt, I'm a 5!

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Mglowe-

Is this setting easy to change? I'd love to weigh as much as you (working on it) and think my bike is set at 3. I have no doubt, I'm a 5!

I've changed mine and yes, it is so easy to do that even I can do it; and I don't do ANY service work myself...

ReblTeen84

Übernerd
Reaction score
Visit site
I just leave mine at 5. Was set to three when I got it which is fine for me, but we ride 2 up often enough that i don't feel like adjusting it every time. If I leave it on 3 2 up the bike drops down too far. Now if only i could leave the tire pressure at the high side, but unfortunately it goes squirrelly with just me on the bike when I do that...not enough traction. So my compressor is my best friend.

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
At 230 I have it set at 7 I got it at 3, Im so much happier especially riding two up...

+1 on the twisties

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
Mglowe-

Yep! A piece of cake. You may wish to use the extension handle that is in your tool kit. I've smacked my hand with only the adjustment wrench. Looking at the bike, left side, fit the wrench and turn it forward - the mono shock setting will click in place.

sam5c

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I have looked at the bike, found where the rear suspension is, and located the cylinder with the numbers on it. How do I know what number it is currently set to and how do I change it. I don't see anywhere I can put a tool to turn it, and I also don't see what number it could possibly be on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Smittyboy

Reaction score
Visit site
The wrench slips in to the vertical slots on the silver circular part surrounding the shock. You can tell where it is due to the little notch on the inner part. The whole with the corresponding number that the notch slips into is the number you're on.
And I'm fat, so I keep mine maxed...

larryinpa

Reaction score
Visit site
Ok I have looked at the bike, found where the rear suspension is, and located the cylinder with the numbers on it. How do I know what number it is currently set to and how do I change it. I don't see anywhere I can put a tool to turn it, and I also don't see what number it could possibly be on. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Do you still have your manual? There is an indicator that can be seen through the notch settings. You have to look at a certain angle to see it, but it's there.

I just went on a two up tour (260 miles, round trip) and had the preoad set to 5, which seemed to work. I weigh 170 and my girl weighs ~110 (I don't ask, lol). We also had about 20-25lbs of gear.