TW200 to FZ6?

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello all, I'm brand new. Thinking about trading my TW200 (400 miles) for a 2008 FZ6. I was going to get a Kawasaki Versys but I like the FZ better being a Yamaha. I rode small bikes when I was a kid and have gotten comfortable on the TW after 30 years of not riding, but it's hard to keep up with traffic!!!! I'm afraid of the power of the FZ. I'm 6' 3" and weight 175 lbs. It feels a little heavy of course compared to the TW. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks.

cv_rider

Reaction score
Visit site
Power is quite manageable. Below 8k rpm, it's pretty sedate. There's plenty of power to accelerate as fast as you'd want, but no accidental wheelies. It's a screaming beast above 8k, but you don't get there on accident - top gear is about 7500 rpm at 85 mph. Lots of people describe it as Dr Jekyl and Mr Hyde - split personalities allow you to ride in relaxed mode or sport mode. Kinda neat to have both personalities on one bike.

champion221elite

Reaction score
Visit site
I went from an XT225 to a FZ6 last year and I couldn't be happier with the change. The FZ6 certainly puts out more power, but it's quite manageable. Keep your RPM's below 8,000 and the FZ6 is a cupcake. Wring it's neck and the fizzer becomes a totally different bike.

sweber_7

Reaction score
Visit site
I learned to ride on a tw200. Its definitely a change but its definitely manageable. You'll be riding the twistys in no time

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey, my first bike was a TW200! Loved the heck out of that thing! I got my first ticket on it (when I was 15... oops! BIG ticket!) Anyways, the FZ is a great bike. The power isn't anything to be afraid of, just have to know how to handle it and experiment with it, get to know it so to speak. The first real acceleration will blow your mind though, it still does for me. If you have your heart set on an FZ6, go for it.

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
The power isn't anything to be afraid of, QUOTE]

I think your wrong there buddy. You must not ride very hard b/c the Fizzer will absolutley blow you away if you are a beginner/new.

If you are smart about it and can resist the urge to "experiment" with its power until you get some miles on it, then you will be fine.

Moses195

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all! That's the info I wanted/needed. I put down $500 on her today. 2008 black. I have to pay off my TW from the Yamaha credit card first. So about July 4th or so I'll have her!! BTW about $6800 OTD.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
after having gotten back into the swing of things with the 200, you should be okay to manage the FZ6. The idea of the smaller bike is to learn how to ride a bike without gross power. Now that it's all back just take it easy and doooo it

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you all! That's the info I wanted/needed. I put down $500 on her today. 2008 black. I have to pay off my TW from the Yamaha credit card first. So about July 4th or so I'll have her!! BTW about $6800 OTD.

Yep, dont miss any payments! i think if you miss 2 your interest goes up to 24.99%:spank:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Congrats! You'll be very happy with it. Just learn to respect her first and know your limits. You'll be fine!

mpb218

Reaction score
Visit site
The power isn't anything to be afraid of, QUOTE]

I think your wrong there buddy. You must not ride very hard b/c the Fizzer will absolutley blow you away if you are a beginner/new.

If you are smart about it and can resist the urge to "experiment" with its power until you get some miles on it, then you will be fine.

If you are a beginner you have to get to learn the bike and the power. You learn the power by experimenting with it when you are comfortable and pushing it a little more. You shouldn't be afraid of the bike, know your place, but if you're afraid of it, don't get on.

Last edited:
S

somedayrider3

defenetly dont feel scared on it because riding scared isnt exactly the greatest but also dont jump on her fealing ur all high and mighty. be one whith the bike lol! :rof: