My Streetfighter project...

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
My project is mostly complete now.

It started after a left handed low side. Most damage was to the left side pod, left side of the grab handles (more scratches than paint), stator cover, the left fairing mole, and the fairing stay. Only minor damage had been done to the fairing, bar-end, frame slider, and clutch lever. I wet sanded the scratches out of the pod, grab rails, and the lower cowl I bought on ebay. I only had to fill in ~4 deeper scratches, mostly on the lower cowl. I used some files to take all but the deepest scratches out of the stator cover and painted it with black primer. I don't have a picture of the cover yet, but it looks original unless you look very close.

I had thoughts of going naked before, but was never serious about it. Once I took the fairing off to bend the fairing stay back into shape, I fell in love with the look of the bike without it on. It was now clear that I could not possibly bring myself to re-mount the fairing

Probably not a complete list of changes:
- Custom painted Dominator headlights, matched to the OEM Raven color (Black metallic/pearl (yes there is actually some white pearl in that color))
- Drag bars
- Bar-end mirrors
- Finally mounted my L.I.B.209 full pegs, and moved the bolt-ons to the rear
- Lower cowl, also matched to my OEM color (after removing the scratches it came with)
- OEM rubber mounted speedo bracket (cut out from the original fairing bracket), mounted to a strip of 3/4" aluminum, and attached to the inside of the fork clamps. I'll paint it black when I'm sure I like it's position.
- Painted radiator guards (Satin BBQ paint, the flat black primer was too flat)
- Changed my fender eliminator from the FAZR6 version to a TwoBros/FAZR6 hybrid, much cleaner looking now.
- Yamaha swing arm stickers
- Zero modifications done to the original fairing wiring harness (except for a little vinyl wrap over the part with the foam on it). Simply moved the connectors back under the tank area, and neatly tucked away the excess length (there's still a little extra room there, the tightness of that area is over rated). I didn't use the wiring that came with the dominators, just plugged in the original headlight connectors to the H4's. I had already done my own BD43 type dual low beam mod, so I still have two low beams and one high beam. I can wire up the other high beam with a relay in the future if I feel like it. The original harness now fits cleanly without excess length, but still enough slack to allow turning.

:D
PICT0018.jpg

PICT0017_1024x768.jpg

PICT0023_800x600.jpg

PICT0026_800x600.jpg

PICT0021_800x600.jpg

PICT0027_800x600b.jpg

The left-overs form this mod alone:
PICT0019_1024x768.jpg

Chris

GO!!!!!!!
Reaction score
Visit site
That looks really sharp! In my opinion a nice little fly screen would be really cool. Something like the one for the Triumph Street triple.. :)

victorb

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great! :thumbup:

Once I took the fairing off to bend the fairing stay back into shape, I fell in love with the look of the bike without it on. It was now clear that I could not possibly bring myself to re-mount the fairing

This is SO true..

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
Your bike looks great man. While I like a fairing myself, I think that the black naked looks totally awesome.

Just a thought. I wonder if you could rig up flush mounts to go into/over those dimples on the frame where I'm assuming the fairing mounted up. That would both hide the dimples and clean up the front. The downside is that the flushmounts aren't as visible, but I think it would look cool.

Great job on the bike.

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Just a thought. I wonder if you could rig up flush mounts to go into/over those dimples on the frame where I'm assuming the fairing mounted up. That would both hide the dimples and clean up the front. The downside is that the flushmounts aren't as visible, but I think it would look cool.

I think someone here wired up some LED accent lights in that spot and used them for extra marker lights, or was extra signals...

SANGER_A2

Reaction score
Visit site
Lots of nice touches there mate. Looks good. The headlight setup looks nice. It's nice to see rather than the damn Acerbis-style mini fairings most people put on after crashes! :thumbup:

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
seeing as i have a black fz6n......i like it a lot....nice job. great job with the headlight....some nice mini led indicators would look real nice with that FE.

:thumbup:

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Looks nice. Where are those fork clamp headlight mounts from?

I got them from Fly-N-Cycle Motorsports-Motorcycle Parts and Gear Online. I bought the headlights, fork clamps, and brackets from them.

The back side of the plastic fork clamps will touch the frame before the steering locks though. It doesn't limit the steering by very much at all, but it could end up beating up the paint on the frame where they hit. I used some small rubber feet stuck to the stoppers to limit it just enough so the clamps don't hit.

Last edited:

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
seeing as i have a black fz6n......i like it a lot....nice job. great job with the headlight....some nice mini led indicators would look real nice with that FE.

:thumbup:

Your bike has always been one of my biggest inspirations for mods! As well as the work of Wavex and others...

I found some nice thin aluminum housed LED indicators that I like. I'm just a little wary of the local LEO's. They have a sort of a campaign going on right now to stop as many sportbikes as they can. Due to some obsolete laws they can pull over nearly any bike, at any time. Mostly endorsement checks, but they ticket for all kinds of silly stuff. Indicators have to be 3.5 sq. inches, amber in the front, amber or red in the rear. :rolleyes: I'll probably switch them out at some point anyway. I already have the exhaust to keep on the down low.

Marshman

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello from Oregon. I'm doing the same thing to my bike and from looking at yours I now have a few good ideas. How do you like your turn signals? I guess I'm having a hard time choosing flush mount turn signals or something like yours.

antijoy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello from Oregon. I'm doing the same thing to my bike and from looking at yours I now have a few good ideas. How do you like your turn signals? I guess I'm having a hard time choosing flush mount turn signals or something like yours.

Hey, glad to hear your gonna fix yours up!

My signals are the original equipment still. I just took the stalks off the front ones. There are some sleek LED signals that I like, but I'm sticking with the stock signals for now to stay legit.

Let me know if you have any questions. I've followed your story some on the PNWRiders forum. I know one of the Vancouver guys was even offering to fix your bike up for you.