New oil pan installation

ded

Reaction score
Visit site
During my oil replacement I cracked the oil pan by improperly use of torch wrench.
I have ordered a new oil pan and gasket. Does somebody know if I need to apply silicon sealant on the gasket during new pan installation in order to prevent any possible future oil leaks ?

cdogg76

Reaction score
Visit site
When I had to replace mine (for the same reason--over tightening the drain plug), I believe my cousin did use a gasket sealant when he put it back together. I'm not exactly sure what he used, though. I don't know if it's 'necessary,' but i think the idea was we might as well make sure it's sealed.

Sawblade

Hopped up on Mountain Dew
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If it's a one peice gasket, no sealant required. If it's multiple pieces, you'll need it where that different parts meet.

FZ6-ZN

Insert nonsense here
Reaction score
Visit site
Ensure both surfaces are mirror clean, no harm in applying a film of gasket sealant to keep the gasket in position. Tighten the nuts in stages and in a crisscross pattern.

FZ6-ZN

urbanj

Reaction score
Visit site
I should make a poll on this for fun. You should not be cracking and striping oil pans. I think I need to add a video to my how to use a torque wrench write up.

It's basic hand tool use which is pretty much the first thing anyone must know if they wanna do work themselves.

you can only practice once you know how to do it right.