Tires losing pressure?

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
My 06 FZ6 now has almost 2500 km's on the odometer, and is equipped with the OEM Dunlop tires.
It's my first experience with radial tubeless tires on a bike, so I'm curious to know if adding air to the tires regularly is normal.
I set them to the recommended 33 front/36 rear as per the owner's manual, but invariably, when I check the pressures again in a couple of weeks, they have dropped by about 5 lbs each. I use two gauges (one a dial, the other digital), which are accurate. I check the tires both cold and warm (not much difference indicated between the two tire temps).
I don't ride that aggressively (apart from the occasional burst of juvenile enthusiasm) and don't aim for potholes.
Both tires have good fitting valve stem caps, and I've done the soapy water "test" around the rims and the outside carcass of both tires. There is no evidence of damage to either tire.
Is adding air on a regular basis normal for these "new" type tires?
As an aside, these tires have required "pumping up" ever since I took delivery of the bike.

Any thoughts on this are most welcome! :)

W

wrightme43

Hurry up and wear them out. LOL
I sure dont know man, I have had tires that did that on cars and trucks before.
I will say that my Avon Storms dont drop a bit, and the Bridgestone BattleAxe didnt either.

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
Hurry up and wear them out. LOL

:p:D I'm trying...I really am. I may just end up taking a box cutter to those molding 'flashes' that are still hanging off the tread on both sides.:eek:
I'll probably go with a set of Michelin Pilot Roads next....but if I wait for my tires to wear out, I'll be on the pension before I get them.

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
According to Dunlop's website... "The requirements for proper tire usage are not complicated, but they do require consistent attention." ...and I could not agree more.

I check mine before the first ride of the day. If your loosing pressure during that same day I would think you have a slow leak somewhere. Keep in mind all tires do loose pressure (they certainly will in a couple of weeks). If your loosing significant pressure overnight, I would think you have a slow leak somewhere.

To find small leaks soapy water has never worked for me but a submerged tire has. I would get a Rubbermaid storage tub an put enough water to submerge the tire just beyond the rim lip and look for bubbles.

Stay away from tire sealants -- if you change the tire yourself you will know why.

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
Stay away from tire sealants -- if you change the tire yourself you will know why.

stay away from liquid tire sealants like slime, if you change your tire yourself, or if you have someone change it for you. Use a plug unless you want someone hating you. I've changed tires with slime at work... gross.

jimcisme

Reaction score
Visit site
stay away from liquid tire sealants like slime, if you change your tire yourself, or if you have someone change it for you. Use a plug unless you want someone hating you. I've changed tires with slime at work... gross.

A plug? In a Z rated tire? Is that kosher?

mglowe

Reaction score
mglowe.public.iastate.edu
A plug? In a Z rated tire? Is that kosher?

It could be OK (I used a plug on my '82 Sabre with no problems). Study Dunlop's web site Home->Info Center->Tire Tips->Motorcycle Tubeless Tire Repair Information.

However, you may find this one condition that will have you replacing tires: "...repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph."

OneTrack

Reaction score
Visit site
I check mine before the first ride of the day. If your loosing pressure during that same day I would think you have a slow leak somewhere. Keep in mind all tires do loose pressure (they certainly will in a couple of weeks). If your loosing significant pressure overnight, I would think you have a slow leak somewhere.

No, it just seems to be down a few pounds in both tires over about a 2 week period. I guess it looks like this is quite normal, so I won't worry too much about it. I'll include checking tire pressures as part of my "pre-flight" check. :)
Thanks for the info on sealants and checking for leaks...very much appreciated.

S

sportrider

It could be OK (I used a plug on my '82 Sabre with no problems). Study Dunlop's web site Home->Info Center->Tire Tips->Motorcycle Tubeless Tire Repair Information.

However, you may find this one condition that will have you replacing tires: "...repaired tire should never be used at speeds over 80 mph."

I don't recommend plugging a motorcycle tire. If you have a blowout in a car you still have three good tires to help maintain control. I've had a tires go flat while riding and it can be very sketchy. I patched a tire in the past and while yes I did get an extra 6-700 miles out of it, I took it off because it developed two big bubbles between the tread and the carcass.

to answer your question you should check your tires before every ride (minimum with the hand squeeze) and at least once a week you should check them with a gauge and add air as necessary. don't use the same philosophy you would use with a car,(even on a car you should be checking your tires monthly) the amount of area inside the tires on a motorcycle is far less then a typical car/truck, it takes less volume to get the same PSI as it would in a car, so it take less loss to effect the PSI in your tires. if you want to try in slow the normal process fill your tires with nitrogen. but for the inconvenience of that is easier to just check them weekly.:thumbup:

R

Raid The Revenge

In basic CHEMISTRY 30, I learned that temperature can make a DRASTIC change to air pressure and density. I like to measure air-pressure in ATM (Atmospheres). 1 ATM is equal to the air pressure at sea level during room temperature of 21-25 degrees centigrade (294-300 Kelvin).

You live in Vancouver? You're JUST on sea-level. Therefore if the temperature is 21 degrees centigrade, you'd be at 1 ATM of pressure. Check your tire-pressure then and wait a day or so. If the temperature remains a consistant 21 degrees centigrade and the tire-pressure changes when you check it again, you obviously have a leak. There should be a miniscule difference between tests if all variables are kept the same.

kerpal

Reaction score
Visit site
According to Dunlop's website... "The requirements for proper tire truck part usage are not complicated, but they do require consistent attention." ...and I could not agree more.

To find small leaks soapy water has never worked for me but a submerged tire has. I would get a Rubbermaid storage tub an put enough water to submerge the tire just beyond the rim lip and look for bubbles.

Isn't that what they do in a vulcanizing shop?

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone tried putting nitrogen in their tires. I heard that they don't lose as much pressure vs regular air. I also heard that they use nitrogen for the tires on the aiplanes/airliners.

H

HavBlue

This is from my own personal experience with motorcycles, cages, Jeeps that must be aired down and up for rock crawling in the deserts of the Pacific southwest and general horseplay on our own dirt track. Your experiences may be different. Things that I have observed to change tire pressures on their own are temperature, altitude and just plain storage from lack of use. Cold to warm the tires change roughly 2-3 pounds on the plus side if they start at a normal setting. If the tires are low to start off this difference will be greater as a low tire generates more heat and consequently greater expansion.

On either the Sporty, the FZ6 or the Roadstar the tires will drop off as much as 3-5 pounds over a period of a month if the bikes do not move. If they are used constantly the drop is minimal over that same period. During the ride season I will still check the pressure before each ride and I don't have to add air very often. On the FZ6 I run 36psi front and 38psi rear.

H

HavBlue

Has anyone tried putting nitrogen in their tires. I heard that they don't lose as much pressure vs regular air. I also heard that they use nitrogen for the tires on the aiplanes/airliners.

You are 100% correct Vegas and there is a dang good reason for it to. We also use it in forks.

Nitrogen Information

reiobard

Samurai FZ Soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
there is a nitrogen shop within 1/4 mile from my house and i talked to them about the Nitrogen in tires and they say that you also get 3-5 MPG better in a car with nitrogen since it doesn't change as much and the tires stay more consistently at the correct pressure. Also since it takes a shop to inflate the tires and shops typically under inflate tires i would be careful to ensure that they were properly inflated when you leave the nitro shop.

Shops here always drop tire pressure to about 28-30 so make the ride smoother, it is a huge PITA since my car tires take 52 lbs max (should be 43 for my car weight) they insist that it is correct but it just plain isn't...

H

HavBlue

there is a nitrogen shop within 1/4 mile from my house and i talked to them about the Nitrogen in tires and they say that you also get 3-5 MPG better in a car with nitrogen since it doesn't change as much and the tires stay more consistently at the correct pressure. Also since it takes a shop to inflate the tires and shops typically under inflate tires i would be careful to ensure that they were properly inflated when you leave the nitro shop.

Shops here always drop tire pressure to about 28-30 so make the ride smoother, it is a huge PITA since my car tires take 52 lbs max (should be 43 for my car weight) they insist that it is correct but it just plain isn't...

Bard, you don't have to go to a shop unless this is how you want to do it. You can get yourself set up and simply pay the marriage on the bottle (and the gas of course) when you exchange it. Here is a company that delivers nationwide...

http://www.cylindercentral.com/?gclid=CP2Z2LvqzZICFQyDIgodDRUmCQ

Reaction score
Visit site
My 06 FZ6 now has almost 2500 km's on the odometer, and is equipped with the OEM Dunlop tires.
It's my first experience with radial tubeless tires on a bike, so I'm curious to know if adding air to the tires regularly is normal.
I set them to the recommended 33 front/36 rear as per the owner's manual, but invariably, when I check the pressures again in a couple of weeks, they have dropped by about 5 lbs each. I use two gauges (one a dial, the other digital), which are accurate. I check the tires both cold and warm (not much difference indicated between the two tire temps).
I don't ride that aggressively (apart from the occasional burst of juvenile enthusiasm) and don't aim for potholes.
Both tires have good fitting valve stem caps, and I've done the soapy water "test" around the rims and the outside carcass of both tires. There is no evidence of damage to either tire.
Is adding air on a regular basis normal for these "new" type tires?
As an aside, these tires have required "pumping up" ever since I took delivery of the bike.

Any thoughts on this are most welcome! :)

I am having the exact same problems! In fact, I just had mine up on the center stand for about a week while getting my rear sets powder coated and when I let the bike down, the back tire was almost completely flat. I am dropping my bike off in about 3 hours and getting some Pilot Roads put on. I figured I would need some new ones before the Deal's Gap meet anyway and I'm tired of dealing with these Dunlops.