Alpinestars Bionic Back Protector Review (with pics)

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Link to product: Bionic Back Protector - Alpinestars Official Store
$129 + tax = ~$140-$145

My review:

I like it.

You hardly notice it's there after you put it on, and if you are wearing a backpack, forget about feeling it :). I feel much more protected and also, my jacket is a little more filled out since the chest area has stretched with use a bit and now it hugs me nicely when buttoned/zipped snug.
The construction of this back protector seems top notch. The waist straps ride above your waist and are supposed to wrap more around your kidneys than anything else (hence the kidney protection).
The shoulder straps are small and comfortable. I noticed that while walking, the back protector will ride up a little bit, but on the bike, it stays put. It is designed to go under your jacket and the size Medium for my 6'0'', 165lb frame is just right...It could maybe be a bit longer, but definitely not wider (I'm a hard fit being tall without the usual muscle bulk).
I may go back today since I'll be right next door for an appt to try on the Large size. If I exchange, I'll post up here on why, but for now, I like the medium!
While there were others for ~$100 at the store, I opted for A* because I trust the brand (like the rest of my leathers) and it gave me peace of mind over Icon (the only other brand in store) and I didn't want to order online without trying it on.

I'm stoked! I now have a FULL set of gear that I can use on street AND track. And yes, I'll even wear it to Ride Night...

Pros:
- Small
- Light
- Quality Construction from a trusted brand
- CE Level 2 impact performance (the best)
- Soft bottom part near tailbone
- Very comfortable
- Seems to give me a better riding posture :)
- Easy to put on and fast to put on

Cons:
- Rides up a little bit if not adjusted right before putting on a jacket
- While it does have air venting...let's be serious...it's gonna be a wee warmer with less breathability than just the foam back pad in most jackets.

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice review. This is one of the back protectors I seriously considered. My biggest thing was I needed something that I could potentially stow in my saddle bags. I found what I was looking for with Knox and have placed an order directly with them. Unfortunately there customer service seems to suck and I haven't yeat heard anything from them.

Maybe I will be back in the market for a different brand.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Yea, it's nice when you look online and find the same good prices at the store in person! Easy to pickup same day, try on before buying and they definitely want your business so good customer service :)

fyi: These back protectors are on back order until late June!!! I got lucky, it was the last one in stock at the shop!

thejuice

Reaction score
Visit site
Marina Fazer,

Which store did you purchase your back protector at? Would you recommend this place to other consumers?

Anyone else have any recommendations for stores in the Los Angeles area (cheap prices, good service, etc.)?

Thanks for your input.

marke14

running on empty
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice - I have to get a "real" back protector one day. I have a cheap POS one from Technik that cost me like $20 at NewEnough. I've seen it for $60 though so that is something. And certainly, while it is bulky and definitely not as nice as others, it's way better than nothing.

Have you seen that other kind that is a flat, floppy piece of rubber-looking material? It has a hexagonal, waffle-esqe texture to it? I've seen that one a lot at track days ...

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Marina Fazer,

Which store did you purchase your back protector at? Would you recommend this place to other consumers?

Anyone else have any recommendations for stores in the Los Angeles area (cheap prices, good service, etc.)?

Thanks for your input.

I got mine from Santa Monica Honda Kawasaki KTM and I usually get all my supplies next door at LA Yamaha (OTD Cyclesports).

The prices on tires and oils and such are generally the same as the best online prices that I seem to find. I've purchased tires, helmets, jackets, gloves and sent both my brothers to both stores as well. My housemate also goes to OTD Yamaha. I bought my bike there too so there is a history with the shop.

As for labor, I can't comment except that tire mounting is $25 if you bring in just the wheel.

Hope that's useful!

edit: I've heard good reviews on West Coast GP Cycles on Pico - I'll be heading there for my steering head bearing fix on recommmendation by n00dle.

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
Nice - I have to get a "real" back protector one day. I have a cheap POS one from Technik that cost me like $20 at NewEnough. I've seen it for $60 though so that is something. And certainly, while it is bulky and definitely not as nice as others, it's way better than nothing.

Have you seen that other kind that is a flat, floppy piece of rubber-looking material? It has a hexagonal, waffle-esqe texture to it? I've seen that one a lot at track days ...

Yea, the current back protection in my A* jacket is the padding. My gf demanded it and I figured I'll be going back to the track this year and will want it anyways. It's amazing how much safer I immediately felt with it. Confidence inspiring :)

Bates121

B l a c k L e a d e r
Reaction score
Visit site
letting your woman crack the whip on you?? :spank: J/K shes a good woman just wants you safe :thumbup: Anyway I tried it on as well I'm 6'00 at 185 lb so I am a little bulkier than marinafazer and it felt very comfortable. I have not worn it riding so not sure how comfy it is while riding but wearing it in the house it was comfortable and definitely felt like stronger/better protection than my textile joe rocket has on the back (foam padding/no kidney protection.) I am definitely considering one but I should probably buy some leathers first. Marinafazer great write up as usual.:rockon:

MarinaFazer

Wonderbread
Reaction score
www.jwci.org
After having now logged over 600 miles this last weekend with my back protector, I must say that it is very comfortable. I give it a two thumbs up.

The only thing is that if I stand up on the pegs to stretch my legs while still holding the handlebars, it will ride up a little bit and I can only get it back down by stopping and readjusting.