AMA Superbike Showdown 2009, Sears Point CA

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I made my annual pilgrimage to the AMA Superbike Showdown today, and thought I'd share it with y'all. As it was last year, today was a great day to be at the races! The weather was clear and the track was fast. First thing I noticed in the paddock was the gas pump. Check out the octane ratings!

3540905281_2de288ce5c_b.jpg

The first event we went to was supermoto. All I can say is: AWESOME. A track that is half asphalt and half dirt makes for a lot of fun. Dirt and track racing techniques are intertwined in an amazing way. Check out how they go around corners with their foot out like in dirt biking:

3540904869_7d7d80e7a2_b.jpg

Then, these guys ride in the dirt with slicks!

3540910163_9d4d284b33_b.jpg

On to the main event! My boy Ben Bostrom has moved up from the R6 he was on last year to the R1 and raced in the big race this year! Here's a shot coming into turn 2. You can see Mat Mladin on his GSXR1000 in first, followed by Ben Bostrom on his R1, Tommy Hayden on a GSXR1000, Josh Hayes on an R1, and Larry Pegram on a Ducati. It stayed that order the whole race, but that doesn't mean it wasn't exciting.

3540900737_5003506e86_b.jpg

Here is another pic, headed into turn 3.

3540901429_b43540f91d_b.jpg

It was an awesome day! Hope you enjoy the pics!

Dunno

Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics mate. Though I cant see the words Superbike & showdown being used since Ben Spies left for WSBK. Mladin will have it all his way on the Suzuki. :(

Wolfman

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Great Photo's.....want one of those Petrol pumps here in Oz....no leaded fuel for us, and highest octane rating available, even at the track is 98!

Agree with Dunno too...Mat Mladin is gonna be pretty much untouchable now that Ben is gone!

:rockon:

CHEMIKER

Running Moderator
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Nice pics mate. Though I cant see the words Superbike & showdown being used since Ben Spies left for WSBK. Mladin will have it all his way on the Suzuki. :(

I agree, Spies won this race last year, and was a sight to behold. Just perfect the whole race.

I'm hoping that Bostrom will get into his groove on the bigger bike and make it a showdown next year!

Reaction score
Visit site
Can someone explain what the deal is with Suzuki and the AMA? I don't understand why there are far more Suzukis than all the other bikes combined. It's not like this in World Superbike and the results show that the other bikes are just as good, if not better, than the Suzukis.