What would you change on the FZ6?

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not talking about the things we can change, like tires, exhausts, etc; what design changes would you make? I like my FZ-6, but if/when I become Supreme Ruler of the World I will mandate:

1. Change the backlighting of the LCD panel. I don't care for the orange. An interesting side note is that the US military had experimented with red gauges for night aircraft flying, as it reduces night vision the least. What they found, however, is that red light wavelength is also the least easiest to see in the first place, so pilots were cranking the intensity all the way up, completely negating any advantage. The Air Force, and most auto manufacturers who had followed them, eventually changed to other color schemes. GM has yet to wake up...

2. I'd replace the front brake fluid reservoir with a design similar to the rear reservoir. The front, square, black tank has a nice little round window to check brake fluid level, but if the tank is completely full or a third-or-less empty, that little window doesn't show anything. The transluscent round rear brake tank leaves no doubt.

3. I'd change the edges of the front fairing. On the musician's websites that I'm a member on, we often make fun of "pointy" guitars favored by heavy metal/thrash type bands, guitars like the Gibson Flying V or anything made by Dean, etc. Well, to me, the front view of the FZ-6 looks like a pointy guitar, and I'd change it if I could...

4. I wish the clutch were a little less sensitive. After four months I still stall the engine out on takeoff a couple times a week, arrrgh! Yet I never stalled the Kawasaki I had for the full weekend of my MSF course once!

5. I wish saddlebags were easier to install. It can be done, and the under-seat mufflers really help, but those curvy pillion handles really make it a bit of a challenge.

6. Shifting from 1st to 2nd is a bit clunky; I can make perfect shifts between the rest of the gears, up and down. The fact that Neutral is between 1st & 2nd is the reason, and since this is my only bike I have no idea if all bikes are that way or not.

Really a nitpick list, actually. What would you change?

Redhawk

2QuickFZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Definitely change the 1st-2nd gear clunk. Sometimes I wish I had a gear indicator display. Other then those I really don't have too many complaints!

W

wrightme43

Available passenger back rest!
No stupid plastic covers on the exhaust, real aluminum mufflers.
Fix the stupid headlamps so we have two lows and two highs.
Fix the gas filler lid so it drains the water out, instead of holding it in untill you open the filler cap, and then pouring it into your fuel tank.

codeblue

winter soldier
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
definitely the shifty clutch, I'm almost out of the "friction zone" when the bike starts to move. Found myself in embarrassing moments when I've stalled because of it. Started playing with the zone while in red so I know where it's at and this has help me significantly. I've read about Killernoodle's clutch mode off "SBN" but I think he stop making them. Buddy of mine is an engineer and he wants to reproduce this mod. I hope it works.

craig007

Reaction score
Visit site
Here's my list:

a turn signal that turns off after 20 seconds (automatically)
ABS
accessory plug
wider mirrors
truthfull statement of actual usable fuel capacity
ambient temperature measurement (why do I care about the air intake temp??)
computer that calcualates average speed, mpg and miles left on tank
Better (ie car like) NOx, CO and hydrocarbon emissions
Redesign fuel filler so that less vapors are emitted during filling up
Bigger underseat storage
storage compartment in the fairing

pchbreeze

Custom Abuser
Reaction score
Visit site
More solid build quality/integrity. It has too many zip-ties, the plastic is too soft/light, and I've read way too many posts of bolts coming loose from the engine. Of course, I'm rather new to the whole sport bike scene.

GAH

Reaction score
Visit site
I have an '06'. The gauges are hard to read in bright sunlight, something more conventional would be better, keep the digital for fuel level, gear position etc. I agree that there must be a better solution for the headlights, I've already had friends think that there's something wrong because only one comes on with the low beam. I'm not sure what the value of the air box temp is, ambient would be more useful. I still love the bike, it's the best handling and most fun to ride I've had.

pedwards89

Reaction score
Visit site
Like Botch I think all these items are valid, but a trifle nit-picky.

One issue I'm surprised no one else has picked up is the saddle. Anything over 100 miles & you need an armour plated ar*e!! A bit more padding or a gel pad is definitely required.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
3. I'd change the edges of the front fairing. On the musician's websites that I'm a member on, we often make fun of "pointy" guitars favored by heavy metal/thrash type bands, guitars like the Gibson Flying V or anything made by Dean, etc. Well, to me, the front view of the FZ-6 looks like a pointy guitar, and I'd change it if I could...

I LIKE the fairing design. It looks great! All sharp and pointy and it works. If you get down behind it you can go a lot faster. Main thing I would change - make the throttle lighter. Rode a bandit 650 for a couple of months earlier this year and couldn't believe the difference in throttle - the FZ6's is much heavier. Rest of the bandit was rubbish though :Flash:

Reaction score
Visit site
1. Rear sets powder coated, radiator side panels powder coated as with KenInSeattle's mod.
2. I also do not like the pointy fairing or the pointy headlight for that matter. I would like them rounded off a little more like the FZ1. And of course, I would like them both to be on all the time. I actually took my bike back to the dealer the day after I bought it to tell him one of the headlights didn't work. How embarassing.
3. I agree with fixing the clunky shift between 1st and 2nd. Also, and this may just be me because I am a fairly new rider, but the intial response when opening the throttle seems jerky. I have practiced this alot and can't seem to get back on the throttle in a turn without a little jerk. I have read that this can be a problem on some fuel injected bikes where the amount of fuel delivered at the initial crack of the throttle is not small enough. Anyway I don't know if this is me, my bike or FZ6's in general.
4. I like the idea of a turn signal that goes off after 20 seconds. Although I've gotten alot better at it, I still forget to turn it off sometimes.

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to have the same engine torque and compression as the R6, so that the only difference between the two bikes would be the design and the ergos. I want the FZ6 to be just as fast and quick as the R6.

crazy_canuck

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm going with:
1) the clunky gear shifting from 1st to second;
2) uncomfortable long distance seat;
3) windshield design that likes to trap dirt ('06 design might be fixed on the '07);
4) more underseat storage.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I would like to have the same engine torque and compression as the R6, so that the only difference between the two bikes would be the design and the ergos. I want the FZ6 to be just as fast and quick as the R6.

+1 mate, I would have liked the R6 in disguise lol.

Nelly

International Liaison
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'm not talking about the things we can change, like tires, exhausts, etc; what design changes would you make? I like my FZ-6, but if/when I become Supreme Ruler of the World I will mandate:

4. I wish the clutch were a little less sensitive. After four months I still stall the engine out on takeoff a couple times a week, arrrgh! Yet I never stalled the Kawasaki I had for the full weekend of my MSF course once!

I was having that problem mate. Until I adjusted the tick over speed. It was 900 rpm, to low so I have raised it up to 1250 rpm. I have not stalled since.

Neil

CC32

Reaction score
Visit site
Footpegs a bit lower and forward, or adjustable pegs to achieve the same.

Adjustable clutch lever (I know this is fixable with aftermarket levers but my Ninja 500 had such levers stock and I think the FZ6 should too).

Better clutch engagement zone. Adjustable levers might help with this, I don't know.

Underseat storage is poor. Again the Ninja was much better in this respect.

Agree with Botch on the front brake reservoir although I hadn't thought about it until he brought it up.

Battery accessibility without raising up the fuel tank.

Cloggy

Euro Mod
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I totally agree on the clutch engagement zone, it was very embarrassing in the beginning standing in front of a line of traffic and stalling. After getting used to it I had it under control but you still have to be careful. I never had this problem on my previous bike.

Of course the single headlight thing should be changed as well.

I also find its too easy to put the parking light on when turning off.