Help doing the BD43 dual light Mod???

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I have the harness from BD43 and I'm not a total wonk when it comes to working on the bike. I've already mounted soft bags and frame sliders. But I'm a bit intimidated with the idea of taking apart the airbox ( actually it's the putting it back togehter that people seem to have had some issues with.) I was hoping there may be somene in the local Boston area that has already done this mod and has some experience to walk me through it.

I asked my dealer about doing it and they said they could but would probably charge me at least an hour's work @ $72.50/hr. But even more than the money I wouldn't mind getting in and getting my hands dirty and learning more about the inner workings of my bike, but I'd like to know there is someone there that might be able to help keep me from screwing it up to the point that I can't ride it.

Anyone out there game? Time and place to be mutually agreed too.

chimneydoc

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Hi There

I did the mod last summer, It's looks harder than it is. Just take your time, don't be in a rush follow bd's instructions and it will come all together. Good Luck Doc

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
I had never done anything with my bike except ride it when I attempted this mod. I had no problems at all after reading the thread and following the instructions. It can be intimidating but just go slow. I used ziploc bags for everything I pulled off and labeled each one seperately. It was overkill but it helped me remember what went where. If you run into any problems there are tons of people on here who can help.

huxy

Reaction score
Visit site
This was one of the first mods I did on my bike, never having worked on a bike before. If you follow the instructions that came with the harness, and take it slow, you'll be fine. (Biker dudes pictures and words are brilliant). The only gotchas are :-

1. Make sure you have a magnetic pick up tool for when you drop one of the battery bolts inside the frame.

2. For the airbox make sure everything seats back smoothly. If you're having to force it, have a cup of tea and try again as you shouldn't need to.

You'll be fine, but if you get stuck, we're here to help.

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be happy to help out! Drive up to my garage and park it in the stable. :D Afterward, we can head out down the coast and I'll leave you somewhere in MA to head back home.

Now, I am leaving Friday and will not be back until the 25th. If you want to come up on the weekend of the 30th, we can knock it out and ride in the afternoon. I have all the tools and the garage to work in.

Let me know!

-Eric

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
I'd be happy to help out! Drive up to my garage and park it in the stable. :D Afterward, we can head out down the coast and I'll leave you somewhere in MA to head back home.

Now, I am leaving Friday and will not be back until the 25th. If you want to come up on the weekend of the 30th, we can knock it out and ride in the afternoon. I have all the tools and the garage to work in.

Let me know!

-Eric
Thanks Eric. If I haven't done it by the 30th I'll get in touch.

Stevenator

I'll be back...eventually
Reaction score
Visit site
It took longer to scrape the stickers off my swing arm than it did to complete the dual headlight mod. Take your time and follow the directions provided. BD43 makes it super easy. THANKS AGAIN DARYL!

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, If I don't get to it until then I may take you on the offer too.
Less: I am the same as you - I bought the mod a while ago and haven't installed it. I need to look through the instructions and just do it some morning. The weather has warmed up - I just need to allocate time. I am in Newton - we could do it together some time.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Eric, If I don't get to it until then I may take you on the offer too.
Less: I am the same as you - I bought the mod a while ago and haven't installed it. I need to look through the instructions and just do it some morning. The weather has warmed up - I just need to allocate time. I am in Newton - we could do it together some time.

Dan,I've got the harness in my saddlebag. I'll either ride up to Erics with you and make a trip out of it or we can put two heads together one Sunday and give it a go.

I don't mind riding up to NH, but would like to avoid the highway as much as possible as I really find it boring and the wind blast uncomfortable. I am finding that the windsheild on the bike directs the air to hit me right at the shoulders and bottom of the helmet which at highway speeds is uncomfortable for any prolonged riding.

Let me know your thoughts. The ride to NH might be a fun day if we can find a time that works for all of us.

darkrider

Reaction score
Visit site
The Airbox is tight, but if you take your time and just shimmy it, it starts to slide nicely. I took pictures before I started and as I went along to be sure everything went back where it belongs. It really is a simple project that just takes a bit of patience.

bcityroller

Gear Whore
Reaction score
Visit site
I successfully completed the mod in an a few hours one evening with extra hands from a friend - I don't mind meeting up to help out and share my experience etc (not a master mechanic or anything). Looks like I can squeeze out a morning or afternoon pass over the upcoming long weekend (except for Sat AM) - PM me if that's something you're interested in. I don't have a well equipped work area so would likely end up coming to you assuming that's a reasonable distance - I'm on the North Shore

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the offer. I can't this weekend. My only possibility is next weekend. I'll talk to Less and see. I also don't have a place to work - no garage. But, if the weather is good can do it outside.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Sounds like your next mod should be the Puig double bubble screen.

If I had to do a lot of highway riding I'd definitely look into the windscreen alternatives.

I rode for 5 years on my Vulcan without a windscreen and didn't like that feeling of my whole body being a sail at highway speeds. I thought the screen on the FZ would alleviate all of that but I find that it just creates a different kind of wind blast and it's all directed at one spot versus the entire body. Not much difference in overall comfort. So I've learned to avoid highways as much as possible.

AND, I've already spent more on accessories since buying the FZ than I spent in 5 years of riding the Vulcan, so it's time to slow down the $$$. There's always next year.

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the offer. I can't this weekend. My only possibility is next weekend. I'll talk to Less and see. I also don't have a place to work - no garage. But, if the weather is good can do it outside.

BCityroller, thanks for the offer. How about we all meet at my place the weekend of the 30th (I'm in Ashland and I have a garage), we could put our three heads together and get it done. I'll even order the pizza's and then we can go for a nice ride.

mistertek

Reaction score
Visit site
I just completed mine tonight in less than an hour. I have never worked on my bike before as it's brand new and it still wasn't difficult. You really need some patience while working on it to make sure you don't drop a bolt into a place it shouldn't go but I only removed 6 bolts and it all worked out. The airbox was much more intimidating than it was actually difficult.

I drive/ride through Ashland everyday on my way to work if you need a hand.

dankatz

Commuter
Reaction score
Visit site
Thanks for the offer! Hopefully, the three of us will figure it out with the great online instructions

Less

Reaction score
Visit site
Well, unfortunately Dani was unable to make it this AM, ( babysitter crapped out on him), but a big :thumbup:to BCityroller for coming out and helping me with the mod.

It was not difficult, but having someone who had done it before and the extra pair of hands was a big help. And these neat prop bars to hold up the tank made that a snap and very stable. BD43's cable and ends fit perfectly. And you have a good foot of extra cable so no problems with binding. Just cable tie the extra away.

We'll have to get over to Dani's to help him get it done in the future. Just want to publicly t hank BCityroller for coming out and helping.