wrightme43

This was a bad idea. See the last post.

Ok I ordered
1 spray can of Yamaha Deep Purplish Blue Metallic C (DPBMC) @ 33.95
1 spray can of Gloss Clear @15.95
and Shipping @ 9.95
Total 59.85

from Color Rite Distributing Co.

I removed the side pods, the stickers, cleaned them with paint prep spray, and then random orbital wet sanded them with 800 grit wet/dry.

I also had a small damaged place on my fairing where I dropped the bike at the Dragon this spring.
I masked it off, and used 400 grit wet dry to remove the scratches, and then used 800 grit to prep it for paint.

I washed and dried the areas to be painted, then used paint prep again, then used a tack cloth to get them good and spotless.

I ended up using three color coats to get the color to match. Then three clear coats to get the gloss right.

Be very careful with the gloss clear. It is terrible about running. I will have to wait 5 days to cure, then sand this HUGE HUGE HUGE glaring run out and recoat. It says to wait for a few weeks to wax.

Over all I am very happy with it.
The paint is a exact match for the factory color.
I have a additional 17.xx dollars in sand paper, prep, tape, and such and the like.
Basiclly $75 to fix a drop, and it paints the side pods for free, plus there is plenty left in the can to repair any small problems in the future. Or paint a model of the R1. LOL

:needpics:
I know, but niether one of my computers are acting like memory cards exist. Both computers say the printer is not connected, but it is.
I need to have my friend with That Stupid Computer Company come fix them with fire and a hammer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Be very careful with the gloss clear. It is terrible about running. I will have to wait 5 days to cure, then sand this HUGE HUGE HUGE glaring run out and recoat. It says to wait for a few weeks to wax.
If the paint were a lacquer, you could carefully sand out the runout and simply polish the dulled finish, without respraying (this is how most furniture makers do their woodworking finishes, as painting a final coat without any drips, runs, brushmarks, or especially dust is almost impossible; better to sand/polish the defects out after its dry).
This paint, however, sounds like an enamel since they tell you to wait 5 days/a few weeks before sanding/waxing.
Is the drip on the underside of the fairing? I'll bet only you would notice it back on the bike, especially if its in the clearcoat. ;)

thatguyx

Reaction score
Visit site
that's a damn good job... i did my '06 front fender. it looks ok, but from certain angles the blue looks a little darker. also you can see that the finish isn't as smooth... still trying to polish/wax it until the shine is there. i might just end up redoing it and my grab rails.

W

wrightme43

that's a damn good job... i did my '06 front fender. it looks ok, but from certain angles the blue looks a little darker. also you can see that the finish isn't as smooth... still trying to polish/wax it until the shine is there. i might just end up redoing it and my grab rails.

I am going to wet sand with 1000 grit, then use rubbing compound, then polishing compound, then liquid glass polish.
It should come out very close to the factory.

At certain angles mine is a little darker than factory as well. You can very much see it on the fairing repair. I will work at getting it smoothed down, and polished up.
I used three coats to get full coverage, but it seems that the color matched best at 2.5 coats. LOL I just aint that good.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, but you could have gotten a brand new side cover for $40 :)

Anyway, it's worth it if you have to do 2 covers! :rockon:

Redhawk

2QuickFZ6
Reaction score
Visit site
Looks great, I took the easy route and just ordered me some from powerpartsplus.com Mine are scheduled for delivery on Friday! I think the 06' blue side covers look much better then the 07' black w/blue decal covers

ctr46

Reaction score
Visit site
It would be nice to see some pictures from before and after just to get the difference.

If you have it wrightme43 please post :)

W

wrightme43

I just have to get my computers and my camera, and my card reader and such all back in some kind of agreement.

Now my laptops says new hardware found, but it cant find the software to use the built in card reader.
The desktop is sorta working so I will try again later.
It really needs to set up and dry for 5 days so I can wet sand, polish and buff it out. Then two weeks after that I can wax it to bring the shine out.
Then it will look right.
Now its pretty close but I wont know untill I get it all done.