Another SV question

knox

Reaction score
Visit site
Is the SV that much better down low? All I read is how you have to rev the FZ past 8 grand to get to the power. Is this true?

Thanks. Still trying to make a decision.

Mattberkshire

Reaction score
Visit site
Yes but it's a v-twin so can't rev as high and has less (much) power. Think of it in simple physics terms. With similar displacement the twin has two lumps of metal shooting up and down. The inline 4 has 4 pieces of metal half the size doing the same thing. The twin will therefore give more punch as it has more inertia (and therefore torque) (due to the larger lumps of metal) but the 4 can rev higher (because smaller lumps of metal moving up and down produces less stress on the engine) so produces more power. (Is this genius or what?)

I should point out at this stage that I am not a scientist. Maybe the Triumph street triple is worth looking at if you're not sure. 675 displacement and 3 cylinders giving the best of both worlds.

But also, the SV is old and crap and the FZ6 is modern and wonderful:confused:

knox

Reaction score
Visit site
My worry is that from stop light to stop light, the Dyno in the seat of my pants might be let down by the FZ6 unless I keep it wound up above 7K. Do you guys ride around in 2nd gear going 8K rpms when you are just tooling around town?

I know the SV will give you that pull, I am just worried until I ride them both.

W

wrightme43

Dude, the FZ slays the SV.
LOL

Once you experince full throttle past 8 you will find reasons to keep it there. LOL
Basicly if feels like the bike is trying to outrun you from underneath you.

knox

Reaction score
Visit site
I am coming off a CBRf4i, so I understand the inline 4 rush. I rode Deals Gap all the time, as well as the Cherohala.

I am past the need for speed, but am looking for a good street bike with good power at under "Screaming RPM Velocity".

I just want to be sure there is enough "oomph" below 6K on the FZ6 that it won't feel wheezy. I really WANT to like the FZ better because I like the seating position, fairing, seat comfort, and that Yamaha quality.

I just need to ride them both, huh?

W

wrightme43

Yep, if your coming off a F4i you know.
I know our motor has a lower rpm tune, and torque curve that feeds in lower but its still a L-4.
The V-2 will always do what Vs do best. Vibrate and Pull. LOL

B

Bo67

I test rode an SV650S before I bought the FZ6. I liked it good enough but had a feeling that I'd be bored with it within 3 months. It has good low end torque but it peaked a little low for me. I had a 1984 Honda VT500 Ascot back in '84. It was a 500cc V-Twin. It was a good bike for sure but also peaked rather soon. I traded it in on a used Yamaha Seca 9 months later.
I guess it's really up to how you want to ride. The SV will get you up to highway speed quickly but I personally don't think it has much after that. The FZ needs to gets it's boiler cooking before she goes but from a stop it'll get there in ~2 seconds. It's all down to what you want out of your ride and trust me, I think we've all been torn between 2 (sometimes 3, 4, 6...) bikes before. I'm sure you'll make the right choice in the end.

knox

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you, everyone. I must say that this is a great board, regardless of what I choose.

Maybe I need to get an FZ6 AND an SV650 when the wife learns to ride. Then we can just trade off.

B

Bo67

Ya Knox, I threw that idea at my wife 8 months ago and she asked me how I'd like sleeping in the garage!

sideshow_downs

Finally Summer
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The diffrence in the SV would only be seen from stop light to stop light. Once you get on the open road seems like there is no compairing with the FZ6

just my $0.02

Botch

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S!!
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The twin will therefore give more punch as it has more inertia (and therefore torque) (due to the larger lumps of metal) but the 4 can rev higher (because smaller lumps of metal moving up and down produces less stress on the engine) so produces more power.
This isn't quite correct. When you're accelerating, having more inertia works against you (you're trying to move heavier mass back and forth faster); the second half of this statement is correct.
Now, why does a v-twin produce more low-end torque? I can't tell you off the top of my head (...and I have a Bachelor's and Master's in Mechanical Engineering :eek:, they only teach the really interesting stuff in tech schools.. :( ). I'm going to ask the other engineers in my shop tomorrow.
I'm actually looking for a second bike (this bug bit me hard) and I'm specifically looking for a torquey V-twin. I have no problem with the FZ's acceleration, but the high whining I'm not getting used to as well. And, for what its worth, I tool around my neighborhood and going to work usually between 3 and 5,000 rpm (a young squid I ain't... yet).

trailblazer87

Curve Hound
Reaction score
Visit site
I tried both and ended up preferring the FZ6 over the SV. Mostly because of the seating position. I am 6' tall and I felt cramped on the SV. If you are looking at the SV don't even think of taking a passenger, the FZ has a much more comfortable rear seat. It is also more comfortable for long distances. If you are looking at a bike you want to lean over and rail the twisties on, the SV is the way to go. It WILL outrun the FZ6 in the corners, and I am a proponent of the FZ6. This is not to say that the FZ6 is a slouch in the corners as Defyinertia will tell you. The reason for being able to take the corners so well is the low end torque as you can get on the throttle and have the motor punch you out of the turns right away, while the inline 4 will need a moment to spool up. This can be over come with good throttle control but not entirely.

Ultimately the choice will come down to preference and I would recommend some seat time on both bikes before deciding.:thumbup:

bike10

Reaction score
Visit site
v twin vs 4L

I have a Vtwin bike and a FZ6. Twins are unique in many ways, but I couldn’t say better. L4 engine has better longevity and less vibration. My monster 900 is great cuz it's red, Italian and LOUD. I ride my FZ6 all week as a commuter. It is smoother and better for the job. I can ride my FZ6 at speeds as low as 6 mph. the duc however starts bucking below 20 mph (this is bad since it has a heavy clutch). The reason is the Vtwin idle compared to the L4. The SV has a much lower handle bar position than the FZ (I park next to one at work). I don't think the bikes are comparable. I have a moto mag that posted real world numbers regarding all the bikes you could imagine. The FZ has more RW horsepower than the SV and smokes it in the 1320 (1/4 mile), it's a night and day difference. I think the SV may have a better canyon carving personality stock due to the lower riding position. But I really don't think the bikes are in the same league.

knox

Reaction score
Visit site
Thank you for all the information! The FZ sure looks a lot more comfortable, and that is a huge consideration for me.

midnightfz6

Reaction score
Visit site
That's what sold me my first FZ6. I started looking for bikes:
1. for riding position and comfort (wanted some kind of fairing)
2. price
3. performance. Had to be able to put a grin from ear to ear.
4. styling
Nothing came close to the FZ6 for me. With a few affordable mods, the FZ6 rocks!
The top end rush from a 4.....can't beat it. You can easily cruise around town at low revs on an FZ6, no problem there. Then wind it up and have some fun.