touring and guns

would you carry a gun on a moto-tour trip??

• Hell Yea.. its my rigt to protect myself

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • No. I would rather not bring a gun

Votes: 26 38.8%
  • Maybe on some, maybe not on others...

Votes: 12 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
so...

this weekend we had the whole family together and they were all asking me about my upcomming motocamping trip to upstate ny (at least i think thats where i wanna go) ... but my mom brought up some convo about having a smaller type hand gun (as opposed to a desert eagle).. now the girlfriend (someday wife) is a little opposed to having a handgun.. but the question is, how would you go about defending yourself against a bear or other types of larger animals and protection from "crazy" people.. now i have no problem going through the courses (by the way, which ones would i need: pistol permit, concelaed weapon permit??) and am perfectly legal to get one... but reallym, would it be that useful to me, or would a good hand axe and some knifes work just the same??? thoughts? opinions??

lewis6681

Reaction score
Visit site
I definitely feel more relaxed on camping trips, knowing that I've got a pistol. That being said, they sell noise-makers and such to scare away large animals such as bears without the need to harm them. They don't however, make noise-makers that will scare away crazy people ;)

Mississippi

Reaction score
Visit site
I do not see why you cannot carry it all the time. It is your choice. If I had one, I would carry it. Touring or not.

I have thought about a hand gun a few times myself. When you are caught in a bad part of town at a stop light. You never know who might come at you, and it is not like you can lock the doors.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site
i have a concealed carry permit. the first thing you would need to make sure was if the state(s) was a reciprocating state, if you would be going to other states. some states accept other states permits, some have nothing to do with other states. i carry every chance i get. there lots of crazies out there. if you do carry always practice getting it out in a hurry if needed. ya know what is the use of carrying if you can't get it out when needed. good luck and be safe

CanadianFZ6

Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to be a true American... buy a 50 cal and mount it on your steering stem... That will keep the rift-raft away from ya':thumbup:

mxgolf

Motoup
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a conceled hand gun permit for Oregon. It is good only in Oregon. I can get one for Washington state and It's good in Oregon, Montana, Idaho and Utah. Every state is a bit different. I carry just for my own protection. There is a lot of wacko's out there these days. I will carry mine in one of my bags while riding. One thing to remember is the bad guys have to make the first move and you have to believe you life is in immediate danger if you are going to shoot some one. There is a fine line and you will still have to go to court to prove your shooting is justifiable in most cases.

DrBart2

Reaction score
Visit site
I too have a concealed carry license. I will carry if the places I go allow it. I do not break any laws and no one will know that I have a weapon on me. I carry not because of wildlife, but because of bad people. A bear would just about have to be chewing on my leg before I would shoot it. I have done a lot of wilderness backpacking and have never been concerned about the wild animals. The animals are predictable, humans are not! I don't know what the laws are in NY. Just make sure you don't become the "bad guy" by carrying illegally. Know the laws in the state you are traveling in or to, very well!

ironman

Reaction score
Visit site
They most certainly do make a noisemaker that is designed to scare away crazy people. . . Its called a "12 gauge pump."

A little hard to carry on the bike though.

W

wrightme43

New York does not honor any other stats CCDW permit. So you would be breaking the law.

CCRKBA :: CCW Reciprocity Guide

The odds of being stopped and searched on a out of state motorcycle are higher than normal, you would have to wiegh the consquences of the offense in the area you will be travelling.

In Ky its a misdemenor and then you must prove you own the firearm and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your home state for pickup, and thats only if you dont have a CCDW with reciporcity.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
If you want to be a true American... buy a 50 cal and mount it on your steering stem... That will keep the rift-raft away from ya':thumbup:

yea but it would be hard to turn with one of those :)... besides, if i really wanted to scare people away, a nice surface to surface missle battery would be killer :)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
New York does not honor any other stats CCDW permit. So you would be breaking the law.

CCRKBA :: CCW Reciprocity Guide

The odds of being stopped and searched on a out of state motorcycle are higher than normal, you would have to wiegh the consquences of the offense in the area you will be travelling.

In Ky its a misdemenor and then you must prove you own the firearm and have it shipped to a FFL dealer in your home state for pickup, and thats only if you dont have a CCDW with reciporcity.

well, if i was traveling, i would just make arangements first before i would set out.. just in case... dont wanna have a bad police experience ya know..

but i am still torn on wether i would "need" one or not.. i understand the crazzy people argument, but stiull.. i would liek to think that really, all would be good on a trip.. but really, how many people carry, and have had to pull it out.... i guess that would be the good question...

W

wrightme43

Well it is very very very rare thankfully. Downside is like a helmet you cant go home and get it when you need it.

buccs40oz

Reaction score
Visit site

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
i guy here near me did last week. he saw a guy run a stop sign and hit 2 little girls walking in the cross walk. the driver kept going until the guy pulled out his gun and stopped him until the police got there. not only crazy people but dumb ass people

UPDATE: 4-year-old dies of injuries after being hit by car | WSBT South Bend - Your Local News Leader | Local News

that sucks, but at least they got the guy.. i guess im not really talking about these instances.. just more for my personal protection... really dont want to have to add another item to carry, but i guess I'll have to go look at the gun shops around here and make some determinations.. besides.. i think i would rather spend like $500 on r6 forks than a gun..

Have2BeFree

It's My Bike!
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what part of Upstate NY you are plannnig on visiting, but I have hiked and camped in the Adirondacks plenty of times without being bothered by bears or other people. If you are hiking you just need to make noise, whistle, sing, etc and the bears will usually stay away. If you are camping then you should not have food (or anything that smells nice such as soap, deodorant, etc) in your tent - you can purchase "bear bags" that hang from trees to store these items in. It may just be easier to rent a cabin at a campground if you have these worries though. :)

That being said I want to travel more on the bike myself this summer and have concerns being female and alone. I'm not seriously considering purchasing and learning to use a gun but it has crossed my mind.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I am of the belief that having a gun can invite trouble. There are too many times that showing your weapon invites people to do things they normally wouldn't.
I would rather use the throttle to get out of there than a gun to escalate a situation.
As for animals; I have done a lot of outdoor camping and backpacking. I have never had a situation with a wild animal that became dangerous without making some loud noise.

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I don't know what part of Upstate NY you are plannnig on visiting, but I have hiked and camped in the Adirondacks plenty of times without being bothered by bears or other people. If you are hiking you just need to make noise, whistle, sing, etc and the bears will usually stay away. If you are camping then you should not have food (or anything that smells nice such as soap, deodorant, etc) in your tent - you can purchase "bear bags" that hang from trees to store these items in. It may just be easier to rent a cabin at a campground if you have these worries though. :)

That being said I want to travel more on the bike myself this summer and have concerns being female and alone. I'm not seriously considering purchasing and learning to use a gun but it has crossed my mind.

I guess then the old theory is solid... go in groups.. probably better to go with at least 1 other person then alone and no gun... thanks for the ny info :)

LERecords

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
I am of the belief that having a gun can invite trouble. There are too many times that showing your weapon invites people to do things they normally wouldn't.
I would rather use the throttle to get out of there than a gun to escalate a situation.

I agree.. many can talk alot of smack, but when the chips are down, are you going to pull the trigger.. I suppose i am in the category that if i pull the gun out, your going to be shot.. cuz i wouldnt pull it out without the intent to use it.. i dont think pulling it out without the intent, you are just inviting to be shot with your own gun..

but with all that being said, i would think that maybe i would be fine without a gun and maybe just a large air horn for animals.. the bear bag idea is a good one, but wouldnt my givi v46 work just hte same way?? i could always string it up in a tree if i needed too :) :thumbup:

necrotimus

Stop looking at my title!
Reaction score
Visit site
Is this more of a motorcycle thing? Or do people touring in their RVs and Cars tend to carry as well?

I don't have a problem with the people who feel the need to carry, I just don't feel the need. I would be more concerned about being able to read a compass and identify posion ivy.

Also minus the crazy person scenario or a wild bear attack in most wilderness situations a knife will be much more valuable than a gun.