F1 2009

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
How great is it to see a team (Brawn GP) come almost out of nowhere and succede in such great ways!! I am a die hard Ferrari fan but Brawn GP has got a hold on me somehow. I like that the underdog is sucessful.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
I think this thread probably belongs elsewhere here, but I agree, it's nice to see a bit of change with the Brawn guys stepping up; Red Bull's not doing too bad either. I like Ferrari too; however, I have to chuckle with all of the missteps their making this year (yesterday's fuel shortage for Felipe and Kimi's mechanical issues only being the latest in a string of problems).

I'm just hoping they pull their head out of all the politics and settle on racing. I find it interesting that on top of the budget cap, they even wanted to eliminate fueling during a race....I can't fathom that...seems like it'd be a race even smaller than GP2, lol. Oh well.

stevesnj

Reaction score
Visit site
Well refueling is dangerous so I agree that there should be only be pitting for tires but I like the strategy for fuel stops. F1 refueling hasn't been around for long they usually would fill up for the race...dunno...it has its pros and cons.

grommit

...M
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
The reason the big teams are struggling is lack of testing, normally they test till they get it right now they are restricted. testing costs money, hence a more level playing field. Having said that the Brawn team are getting the benefit of the work the Honda team did on the chassis last year, of course the Mercedes engine is just sublime.

The cars have to use both a hard and a soft compound tyre during the race hence the pit stops.

Burnspot

Reaction score
www.burningfiles.com
I think the refueling should be kept in along with the tire changing...it does add a lot to the plate in terms of strategy. I think, for example, Barichello would have perhaps had a better chance for a 1st position finish yesterday had his team not run with a 3 stop strategy (and Button with 2 stops), whereas Felipe Massa and his team mis-played the fuel strategy and it cost them a few positions.

I think there's a point where too many rules get in the way of the core racing ideal...F1 is getting there on a greased down slip 'n slide. NASCAR's been there awhile (to the point of boredom...not a big fan anyway). Perhaps IRL will be the one that escapes...if they could get away from a single engine manufacturer. ;)