April 26,2009 Ride into West Texas

FZ6biker

Reaction score
Visit site
April 26,2009 Sunday, Bike ride with my friend Russell on his Kawasaki Concours 1000 cc and myself on the FZ6 a total of 215 miles into west Texas going through towns of Granbury, Glen Rose, Hico and Walnut Springs Texas. Mostly riding FM (farm to market)back rural roads with plenty of curved roads (twisties) ;)

We started at 9am and rode through Dirks Rd heading west on to Hwy 377
and getting off FM1167 to FM51 and so on. The sky was overcast and it looked like it was about to rain and the temp was in the low 70's .It was just purrfect riding weather. First stop was in Glen Rose on Hwy 67. It rained slightly on us there but we headed on and it cleared up. From there it was on to Hico where we stopped for lunch at Texas Trails and had an awesome burger. We then headed back the way we came in to get a second chance at FM51 and headed back home.

We swapped bikes for a little bit so we could get a feel for the different bikes.I enjoyed the wind protection and the sturdy ride that the Connie offered. Russell did enjoy the FZ6 and its swift throttle response and its nimbleness and ability to maneuver around those curves.Though I did see him duck down to the tank to avoid the wind blast that the shorter windscreen of the FZ delivers :)) He was a good sport and never complained though.

Russell did offer me a pair of year plugs before the ride and that made a whole world of a difference on the ride.The fatigue from wind and the elements were greatly reduced. I think those will be a permanent feature for me on longer rides from now on. I can't think how I did without those simple but effective little things on previous rides. I guess you learn something new everyday.

All things said it was just an awesome ride.