Going to get 15,000 miles on my Pilot Powers

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Re: Tires that fit and Reviews.
After 13,345 miles on my stock Dunlop 252's, I finally had them replaced. Overall performance, can't really compare because I can honestly say that this has been my only experience with street tires. Not the greatest as far as stickyness in the twisties. But no wobbling at high speeds, and the tires did start to square off. I had about 1 mm of tread left on the rear and 2mm on the front. Overall, I got great mileage off the tires, probably could have gotten close to 15,000 if I just commited to commuting, but what fun is that. The tire pressure held great. Only had to put air in the tires a couple of times over a span of 13 months. Maybe riding the bike everyday helped keep the pressure consistent. Bike never sits, it's my only ride. I posted some pics of my tires just before retirement. Oh I got the Michellin Pilot Powers, for $260 installed at the Yamaha dealership. Actually, $278 with tax.
Attached Thumbnails

My odometer is at 27,100 miles, thats about 13,800 miles on my current Pilot Powers. The tires pictured below have taken me to Palomar Mountain and Big Bear Lake hitting the twisties aggresively trying to keep up with Cali-Rider. They have also taken me to Malibu and Topanga Canyon in Southern Cal too. Plus numerous runs at the Las Vegas Motorspeedway Dragstrip. And of course, my everyday commuting in Las Vegas since my FZ is my only ride.

Last edited:

fz6nick

I Love Lamp
Reaction score
Visit site
holy moly........ :Flip:

You must not go 150 everywhere like I do. Well I have straight roads for miles and miles with barely any traffic what so ever.

I got 4500 outa my dunlop qualifer rear tire. 2500 was twisties or so the rest straight. I actually got to the next layer of tire. the first split open. No cords yet.....

I kept my tires after the dealership changed em and cut em open..... Still quite a bit of rubber left.....

jlsmith411

Reaction score
Visit site
Wow! that is freakin' amazing! I barely got 3k out of my rear pilot power 2ct. Yes, I did ride it pretty hard, but still... Are you sure your odometer isn't counting 2 or 3 miles for every 1 mile you actually ride? Haha jk. man thats great that they have lasted you so long.

kellybt1052

Reaction score
Visit site
Looking at those pics I would have guessed 1,350 miles not 13k!! I managed just a little over 3k and the powers were completely torched!! I commute most days (relativley gently) and pretty spirited weekends for 300-400 miles. Most of the the group I ride with ride on powers and I have NEVER seen a power last anything more than about 6000 miles. 3000-4000 seems to be the going number. I want to find your supplier cause I love powers just dont like replacing em every 3 months. Good on ya man!!

W

wrightme43

Kenny you just almost have to be a insanely smooth rider. If you could make tires last like that in a endurance race you would be unbeatable.

Gosling1

Take it easy Charlie. I've got an angle.
Reaction score
Visit site
Holy crap, that would save me a lot of money!!!! How did you manage that????

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
:rof: @ Nate

That's crazy indeed... I never got more than 5k out of tires... no matter what brand they were... I don't know how you do it, but I know how I do it :D

RyanK

Reaction score
community.webshots.com
I think somebody has their odometer on "km" instead of "mi"... Maybe it says miles, but it would have to be a factory fluke. I hope your bike is still under warantee, 'cuz you need get that odo replaced...

Even at that, you must be a smooth rider, 'cuz that is still a lot of distance converting it from km to miles! :thumbup:

Norm

Senior FZ6 Advisor
Reaction score
Visit site
Well that's good to know Kenny because I just put new Pilot Powers on my bike. I love them BTW. Very sticky, very smooth. The stock Dunlops were fine, but these feel better. Or maybe I'm just a better rider now...Nah, must be the tires.:thumbup:

wolfc70

R is for Rust Coloration
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
How did you get that many miles out of the stock Dunlops???? I don't think mine will make 6000 miles.:confused: I run close to max pressure and I am far from an aggressive rider.

15k on Pilot Powers is equally amazing. Your road surfaces must be kind to tires...

aggiehiker

Reaction score
Visit site
Thats insane! On my Zx9 I would get about 2500 to 3000 miles out of a pilot power rear tire.

My Sv650 I could get about 5000 commuting miles out of a rear pilopt power.

I am about to throw on some Bridgestone BT021 for the upcoming trip. I am hoping to only go thru 2 sets of tires on this upcoming 10500 trip. If I get anywhere close to your mileage I will be happy!

I loved the Pilot Powers but they have never lasted very long for me.

How much do you weigh? What is your riding style? Road type? Highway or city miles? I am very intrigued:)

VEGASRIDER

100K Mile Member
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
More details on how you accomplished this please!

Air pressure........40 Rear PSI.......36 Front

Type of miles.....You read it, I've hit the twisties in Southern Cal. Two rides ( Palomar Mt & Big Bear ) with Cali-Rider, Poorboy and Sportsrider, RSW1, one with Wavex, just to give you an idea that it was at a spirited pace, their resume will support that. Plus riding on my own to LA, Topanga & Malibu Canyon, Death Valley, and rides within the local area with other local riders. About ten 1/4 mile runs at the Drag Strip. Plus my daily commutes. Mostly stop n go thru surface street and intersections, 45 mph zones.

Throttle application......I like to accelerate quickly from a stop to gain separation, but not to a point my front end is coming up. I got a speeding ticket to prove that. I do brake hard a lot, damn traffic lights keep changing on me at the intersections. Great emercency braking practice.

Weight......about 160lbs, no saddle bags, just one small tailbag.

Other? Can't explain it, I'd figure that my tires would wear out quicker just because of the heat. I mean the temps during the summer avg 110 degrees, the asphalt has got to be scorching by then?

I'm still running them, I'm at 14,000 miles on them. This is only my 2nd set of tires, I have over 27,000 miles on the bike.

Just to clarify...I have Pilot Power on the Front, Pilot Powers 2CT's on the Rear.