Uphill tight radius=less clearance

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
I went for a ride up the canyons today to check them out. I was so surprised that the roads were sand free and dry. They were really in perfect shape. So I did a quick lap up and down to check it out first, then went back for a spirited lap.
There's a section called the S-turns. For good reason, they are 2 180* turns, back-to-back, uphill, with solid camber. Great stuff. They are marked at 15 mph, but at a spirited pace (70%) I take them at about 30.
The first one has a shallow incline, but the second one really climbs. Well, I came into it a little hotter than before (about 38-40), and right before the exit, scraaaape goes the footpeg. :eek:
My body was way out and I had my weight on the outside peg, so no big deal, but it definitely gave me a little pucker moment. I took it at the same speed as the turn before, and both have the same radius. But the uphill nature of the turn reduced clearance just enough.
Funny thing is that I didn't even get the tire all the way on its side. Close, but not all the way over. So I thought I had a bit more lean left.

Well, just a heads-up. When you encounter tight radius, uphill turns, be aware that you'll have less clearance for your pegs.

Another thing I learned. Gotta get that feeler off sooner rather than later.

YamaSpeed

Dartmouth Ambassador
Reaction score
Visit site
I did the same thing earlier this week. It is the first blemish on my 2007. Sure caught my attention.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
how do you get em off just chopping them? if thats what you talking about the little ball sticking out on the bottom?

Yeah, they're sticking off the peg to let you "feel" when you get too far over. All they really do is freak you out and reduce clearance.. They are screw-off. There's a little spot near the peg that you can fit a open-end wrench around.

phantomxc

Reaction score
Visit site
Which Canyon were you going through? Tomorrow I'm thinking of going through alpine loop if it's open. Suppose to be a beautiful day tomorrow.

abacall

Speedy recovery
Reaction score
Visit site
Big Cottonwood, the S-turns, going uphill, second turn.

And let me know when you go for a ride. I'm up for it almost any day of the week.