Naked Time?

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, I'll keep it short. I crashed my 2007 at a track day Tuesday, front plastics (and my right thumb) are garbage. Trying to compare cost of OEM repair -vs- going naked. I'm looking for something specific.

I want a headlight setup with a mini-faring (so not totally naked). Since I have no machine shop or fabrication abilities it has to be possible to do with available parts. I can't make my own mounting brackets or stays. Last, if possible with the above criteria, I'd like a single light unit (as opposed to the dual, like Wavex). Just personal preference. But if a dual is easier then so be it.

Possible? Thanks!

-Jon

CrazyBiker

Superbike Champion
Reaction score
Visit site
hey get the buell setup. Great looking and you could get parts used cheap. FZ1N is the best looks like total cost will be $500. Now since I have got the FZ1, I think in the future I see a naked conversion on my FZ6.

madmanmaigret

Mad like crazy not angry
Reaction score
Visit site
naked will be cheaper new vs. new

It just depends what you really want. check out flyncycle.com for a few headlight options and universal mounts.

my tally for a new front end (stay fairings, lights, mirror, etc) was over $600 and my semi complete naked setup has cost around $200 but I still need some fab work.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
How was the first trackday Jon (other than the accident)? How did it happen? More details plzzzzzzzzzz

Also, with all these years on FZ6 forums, you should know where to look to answer your own questions! :D It's SBN, but I am not about to restart this in here (too much work): SBN FZ6 Naked Clan - Sportbikes.net

Pick and choose! :)

Good luck...

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
How was the first trackday Jon (other than the accident)? How did it happen? More details plzzzzzzzzzz

Also, with all these years on FZ6 forums, you should know where to look to answer your own questions! :D It's SBN, but I am not about to restart this in here (too much work): SBN FZ6 Naked Clan - Sportbikes.net

Pick and choose! :)

Good luck...

It was great! Learned a ton, met lots of cool people. Overall it was a great day. Just wish I didn't have to wait 4-6+ weeks to go back. Hey, you're the guy to ask. How's track riding with the naked? I know you have the GSXR now too, but how are the straights with no fairing? I'd imagine pretty brutal.

Wavex

Lazy Mod :D
Reaction score
Visit site
It was great! Learned a ton, met lots of cool people. Overall it was a great day. Just wish I didn't have to wait 4-6+ weeks to go back. Hey, you're the guy to ask. How's track riding with the naked? I know you have the GSXR now too, but how are the straights with no fairing? I'd imagine pretty brutal.

Sweet! Glad you had a good time anyway! I never took the Fizzers to the track, but it's more or less comparable to the Buell, and I have to admit that while the tight parts were a lot of fun, the front straight was quite a pain... You will have to hang on for sure at speeds above 110-120... I was going balls out on the Buell, but my ass would slide backwards on the seat and I had to hang tight... but it's really not a big deal... and who cares about the front straight anyway... just go as fast as you're comfortable with and enjoy the twisty parts! :thumbup:

maverick1970

Reaction score
Visit site
I definitely agree with David. Naked on the straights when on the track sucks (IMHO). I used up a lot of energy fighting the wind at the high speed. But hopefully next March (bonus and tax refund time) I won't have to worry about it anymore as I'll be able to get me a slightly used track bike. :rockon:

As for the headlight, be forewarned what you get yourself into. It has the potential at becoming addictive and VERY EXPENSIVE!!!! :)

Last edited:

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Ok, against all practicality I'm going naked. I just don't know when or how the hell I'll pay for it! Restoring it to OEM is more expensive anyway and I'd rather not just piece it together with used parts to save a few bucks.

I'm going with the FZ1N kit from Burlington Yamaha with a pair of Rizoma Dynamic mirrors. Looks great and doesn't require a whole lot of modification, costs less than GSX-R setups, and IMO looks better than the Buell, V-rod, or generic Acerbis lights.

But, don't hold your breath for pictures because its going to be a while. I'm still in a cast from my thumb surgery for a few more weeks. Then I have a couple months of rehab before I could comfortably and safely grip a throttle or even the tools to do the install. This might just end up being a winter project!

:thumbup:

FZ1inNH

********* w/ Twisted Fate
Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
That is a great kit to go with. I'd love to do that myself but I'd end up in divorce court! :eek:

Hope that surgery was a success! Take care and keep us posted.

clockworkjon

SUCKERS!
Reaction score
Visit site
Wait up right there cowboy. DON'T GO TO BURLINGTON FOR THE KIT AND PAY $800. You can have it part by part for around $500. Check the FZ1OA thread for the P/Ns:
2007 FZ1-N part numbers - FZ1OA Message Board
FZ1N Conversion - Flatout prices - FZ1OA Message Board

I checked the first thread, priced all the parts with flatoutmotorcycles and it came out to $433. If I can really get this price I may be ordering this a helluva lot sooner than I thought! w00h00!

You guys are life (and money) savers for pointing this out. Thanks a ton!

Last edited:

Yamadog

Reaction score
Visit site
I just got/installed my kit from Flatout - give them a call/talk with Chris - they'll take care of you. You'll need to get/modify a bracket for the top also - a little extra work but worth it.