Helmet Choices

ross_mct

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey guys and girls,

Thought it would be interesting to hear and see from all of you what kind of protection you wear or would want to wear with regards to helmets :rolleyes:
Look forward to hearing from everybody!

DaveOTZ

Reaction score
Visit site
This rubberized ICON thing... fog free and SNELL approved for under $150...

I could not be happier... well I could but its not the helmet...

AJ_rider

Published FIZZER
Reaction score
Visit site
Default.jpg

Just got this one. Shoei RF1000. Great helmet and big step up from my HJC. Lightweight, much quieter, and freakin sweet looking :thumbup:

Only gripe is it fogs quite a bit with the stock shield. I've got a Pinlock shield on order though, so that should resolve that problem.

CCHOUSEKY

Kentucky Wildcat Fanatic
Reaction score
Visit site
Shoei X-11 Lawson replica for me. My first "high-end" helmet and man, is it worth it! I've also got a matte black Scorpion EXO-400 for commuting.

IMG_0221.jpg

IMG_2904.jpg

jody.adams

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider my shopping experience when helmet hunting. My cousin had been raving about his Arai so I went looking for Arai dealers. My first stop was a the local BMW dealer.

I tried to pick up an XL sized Quantum thinking I knew what I was doing. The sales lady came over and quickly informed me that fitting a helmet was an involved process and that I was basically ignorant (not in so many words but in action). She took the XL helmet out of my hands and picked up her tape measure. I took her for a biatch but went along with it anyway. She measured my head and then proceeded to remove the cheek pads from three different helmets and had me try them on. She insisted that I leave them on at least 5 minutes. I looked at the size (medium) and thought to myself "no fn way". I always have bought XL helmets for snowmobiling and figured this medium would be way too small.

Anyway five minutes passes and I try on the next helmet. Feels better than that last...much better actually. Another five minutes pass and she hands me the last helmet, an Arai Vector. She shoots me an knowing glance and says "now try this one". I plopped that thing on my head and it just feels perfect. I couldn't believe it, like it was make for my melon. She deliberately handed me two helmets she knew weren't right so that I would know when I had the right one on my head. And I did! Had she left the cheek pads in I might not have focused properly on the overall fit of the helmet since cheek pads can make a helmet feel tight even when it's not.

So, I left and thanked her for her time, without the helmet. I took my newfound helmet shopping knowledge and went to every other dealer in my area trying on Shoei, Icon, you name it...all of them. Nothing fit like the Arai. Plus I'll be damned if I could find another dealer that knew anything about helmets like the BMW gal. Most places are just clueless.

I ultimately went back to the BMW shop and bought the helmet from the person that took the time to ensure that I had the right one. I got the best price (even beat the online shops) and she threw in a can of plexus to keep it shiny for free.

If I was shopping on price alone I never would have considered Arai. They are so expensive. But having enough "you get what you pay for" experience in life, I decided that my head was worth it. I didn't want to have to by a crappy helmet just to find out how much I'd appreciate the expensive one someday. I've already done that with my snowmobile helmets. I have three "junkers" that I never wear. One of which was bought online. For what I paid for them, I could have bought the right helmet once, the first time.

Get fitted. Try them without cheek pads. Try them all on for at least 5 minutes each. Arai is the only company I know of that has different helmet lines for different shaped heads. Most helmets lines run based on style, features etc. Arai seems to base it on fit first with features running second.

I am very happy with mine. I am always focused on riding and never on a poor fitting helmet. If you live in Maine or New Hampshire, go see Rose at Max BMW in North Hampton. She'll put you in the right bucket.

W

wrightme43

suomy spec1Rextreme.

super comfy, super light, I like it alot and it fits me well. No photos do suomy paint jobs justice in real life though.

xj750_Pete

Young Rider
Reaction score
Visit site
HJC FS-10

IMGP3351.jpg

IMGP3353.jpg

IMGP3354.jpg

IMGP3355.jpg

Very affordable helmet, adequate venting, lighter, quieter and more compact than the CL-15. On the bad side, it fogs up way too easily, but the Pinlock pretty much eliminates windshield fogging.

ross_mct

Reaction score
Visit site
Consider my shopping experience when helmet hunting. My cousin had been raving about his Arai so I went looking for Arai dealers. My first stop was a the local BMW dealer.

I tried to pick up an XL sized Quantum thinking I knew what I was doing. The sales lady came over and quickly informed me that fitting a helmet was an involved process and that I was basically ignorant (not in so many words but in action). She took the XL helmet out of my hands and picked up her tape measure. I took her for a biatch but went along with it anyway. She measured my head and then proceeded to remove the cheek pads from three different helmets and had me try them on. She insisted that I leave them on at least 5 minutes. I looked at the size (medium) and thought to myself "no fn way". I always have bought XL helmets for snowmobiling and figured this medium would be way too small.

Anyway five minutes passes and I try on the next helmet. Feels better than that last...much better actually. Another five minutes pass and she hands me the last helmet, an Arai Vector. She shoots me an knowing glance and says "now try this one". I plopped that thing on my head and it just feels perfect. I couldn't believe it, like it was make for my melon. She deliberately handed me two helmets she knew weren't right so that I would know when I had the right one on my head. And I did! Had she left the cheek pads in I might not have focused properly on the overall fit of the helmet since cheek pads can make a helmet feel tight even when it's not.

So, I left and thanked her for her time, without the helmet. I took my newfound helmet shopping knowledge and went to every other dealer in my area trying on Shoei, Icon, you name it...all of them. Nothing fit like the Arai. Plus I'll be damned if I could find another dealer that knew anything about helmets like the BMW gal. Most places are just clueless.

I ultimately went back to the BMW shop and bought the helmet from the person that took the time to ensure that I had the right one. I got the best price (even beat the online shops) and she threw in a can of plexus to keep it shiny for free.

If I was shopping on price alone I never would have considered Arai. They are so expensive. But having enough "you get what you pay for" experience in life, I decided that my head was worth it. I didn't want to have to by a crappy helmet just to find out how much I'd appreciate the expensive one someday. I've already done that with my snowmobile helmets. I have three "junkers" that I never wear. One of which was bought online. For what I paid for them, I could have bought the right helmet once, the first time.

Get fitted. Try them without cheek pads. Try them all on for at least 5 minutes each. Arai is the only company I know of that has different helmet lines for different shaped heads. Most helmets lines run based on style, features etc. Arai seems to base it on fit first with features running second.

I am very happy with mine. I am always focused on riding and never on a poor fitting helmet. If you live in Maine or New Hampshire, go see Rose at Max BMW in North Hampton. She'll put you in the right bucket.

I had a similar experience with my first helmet, a KBC. I thought at the time that it felt good and it did. I bought what i could afford at the time and i loved it. But then i came across a deal on the Arai that i couldn't refuse, and the difference in the fit was huge. I never really noticed it until i put my KBC back on, wow! But i have also been told by my knowledgable dealer that the different brands of helmets cater for different shape heads. I think that as long as you can find one that fits your personality and budget, its always going to be a winner! Thanks to all for pic's and response so far!!! :thumbup: